eCommerce: 45 Tips to Turbocharge Your Sales
If you are the owner of an eCommerce website, you are continuously looking for ways to improve the conversion rate on your site and to drive more sales. To that end, here are 45 tips to turbocharge your eCommerce site:
Define Your Audience
- Segment your audience by lifetime value.
- Segment your audience by recency (When was the last time that they purchased something from you?).
- Segment your audience by frequency (How often do they purchase something from you?).
- Segment your audience by demographic (age, sex, income, location, educational level, home ownership status, etc.).
- Segment your audience by psychographic (values, attitudes, interests, lifestyle, etc.).
- Customize offers for each audience segment.
Get Them to Your Site
- Conduct offline-online integrated marketing campaigns.
- Conduct time-sensitive email campaigns.
- Write a blog filled with compelling content.
- Distribute special offers and insights via Twitter.
- Optimize your site for the search engines.
- Run paid search campaigns that align consistently among keywords, ads and landing pages.
- Run image ads through the search engine’s site targeting functionality.
- Run re-messaging or behavioral targeting online ad campaigns.
- Conduct PR initiatives continuously, whether press releases, special events, charity tie-ins, sponsorships, holiday tie-ins, etc.
Market Your Company and Products on the Site
- Define a very clear differentiator, and put it right on the home page.
- Tell a story about your company and what makes it unique.
- Tell a customer story.
- Speak to benefits.
- Highlight how your products solve your customers’ problems, or help them achieve their goals, or help them be happier.
- Be extremely consistent with your identity.
Increase the Average Order Value (AOV)
- Show site visitors your best-selling lines and items first.
- Offer a premium version of a product placed in the shopping cart.
- Offer complementary products to those in the shopping cart.
- Offer a special deal on packages with such complementary products.
- Tell them what shoppers who bought this item also bought.
- Enable shoppers to create lists (wish lists, shopping lists, personal recommendation lists, etc.).
- Offer customer service while they are on your site, through online chat or regular phone.
Enhance the Shopping Experience
- Offer a promotion with stunning photography above-the-fold (in the top half of the browser screen, viewable when first arriving on the web page).
- Use high-quality product photos.
- Offer multiple views of your products.
- Enable zoom-in functionality with your product photos.
- Use video.
- Offer helpful shopping widgets.
- Enable customer reviews.
- Enable the customer to ask questions.
Keep ‘Em Coming Back for More
- Deliver knock-your-socks-off customer service.
- Offer a fast checkout option for returning customers.
- Keep in touch through email, texting and/or postcards.
- Reward customer loyalty.
- Offer a VIP-level status for your best customers.
- Offer an email or text reminder service.
- Hold a special, exclusive sale or other event for only your best customers.
- Send your best customers flowers or other small gift just to say “Thank You!”
- Pick up the phone and call your best customers – let them know about specials or new products that you believe they would be especially interested in. After you hang up the phone, send them a hand-written thank you note along with a small gift that you have personally selected for them based on their purchase history.
These are just some of the things you should be doing to maximize the results of your eCommerce website. The list above is by no means comprehensive. If you need additional help, let me know below or at www.WebsiteMarketingNOW.com. Thanks!