There are several Open Source Online stores that do well. Additionally, you can find some well priced inexpensive products.OS Commerce
is a good tool that is open source.
Here is another Online Store system: Miva Merchant
Post back here with your goals of the site. The types of features you want to have and etc. You can get you a credible webhost and a good Online store system and you are off to the races.
You will want to make sure that when you get your host they support the following:
- Language Online Store was written in
- asp and asp.net should be on a Windows Server
- php can be ran on Windows, but its best to run on Linux in most cases
- Database Support
- Microsoft SQL - Windows Based Servers
- MySQL - Linux based is highly recommended although they can be ran on Windows
- Make sure your host can provide you with a DEDICATED IP Address for your store (Usually a small fee of a few dollars a month more)
- You will need an SSL certificate which should not cost you an arm or a leg. SSL needs dedicated IP addresses (there is a way to use shared SSL but you dont want this)
The bullets above may sound all technical, but its really simple stuff a crediable webhost can provide. You will most likely want to make sure that your webhost has a good stats package so you can see where and how you are getting hits to your store and website.
If you have any questions, please post back here and I will do what I can to help you.
Check my Profile for Messengers