One more thing. Many small businesses have been forming their own LLCs and so far none of the ones who have become my clients have ever completed ALL of the necessary steps. I have not read or used the resources that have been in this post, but at a minimum a LLC, from my non-legal knowledge and background, an LLC should have the following:
1. Proper state Formation
3. Operating Agreement
4. If your operating agreement does not include consent of your business to perform business, then you`ll need a seaparate "written consent"
5. Run you entity as a SEPARATE business, regardless of how you will be taxed.
6. Abide by your operating agreement.
7. If you have elected to be taxed as a C-Corporation or S-Corporation or if you have partners and are therefore taxed as a Partnership, abide by the rules that govern those entities.
8. If you set up your LLC in one state and are doing business in another state, most states require that you "obtain permission" to do business in their state - look up these rules and abide by them.
Gina L. Gwozdz, CPA