Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Advice, Smarts and Warnings

So I’m now an LLC, whats the next step?

• 990 posts
    February 17, 2007 1:09 PM EST
    A federal trademark registration can offer protection in all 50 states.

---
    James Lindon, Ph.D. Patent Attorney
    Lindon & Lindon, LLC
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Pharmacy Law, Litigation
    [this is not legal advice - provided for discussion only]
    Intellectual Property for the Individual and Small Business: Identify, Protect, Enforce, Defend.
    "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
    http://www.LindonLaw.com

• 731 posts
    February 16, 2007 8:53 PM EST
    Thomor,
    Congratulations on your business endeavors.... So what is your business all about? tell us we would love to hear what you do for a living.
    Well now that you filed, you will be spending alot of time doing paperwork.
    As for your question, if you need to file a DBA for your web site? Well it wouldn`t be exactly for your web site but for your business. I am assuming that your web site is going to have your business name on it correct? If so then I suggest you file your DBA for your business.

I don`t know which state you filed in but yes go to your county registrar and file for a DBA as soon as possible. Remember, as an LLC you have to be compliant at all times.

---
    Edgar Monroy
    Web Developer / Owner / Consultant
    When starting your own business the need to "know-how" is greater than money!
    http://www.nuevolution.net

• 99 posts
    February 17, 2007 3:44 AM EST
    Thomor,

If you`ve already used a fictitious name with your LLC, you don`t need to file a DBA unless you wish to use a different name as part of your business.

---

Pepper Law Group, LLC
    21 E. High Street, Suite D
    Somerville, NJ 08876
    informationlaw.com
    Now available on DVD!
    The Legal Considerations of Starting an Online Business

• 23 posts
    February 16, 2007 3:43 PM EST
    I filed with the state for an LLC yesterday, also filled out all the tax hoopla.

Supposedly in 3 or so business days I`ll get the certificate and everything.

My main question is, whether or not I need to fill out a DBA, for a website?

But if anyone wants to give more suggestions I`d love to hear them.

• 23 posts
    February 17, 2007 7:40 AM EST
    Thanks guys. The business is going to run a few websites. Pretty much had a few ideas: some completely new that no one is doing yet, others are market niches that aren`t occupied yet.

The main point of doing the whole LLC, is to protect me in case of a lawsuit/bankruptcy etc.

Living wise I`m still a student. My 4 year plan is to work for a year or so to gain some experience until the business takes off. Then work on the business full time and expand it. And then go get my MBA.

The website won`t have the business name in it. Its kinda like IAC/InterActiveCorp is a company, and then it owns Match.com etc.

So based on this information do I have to file a DBA, or just file for trademark/service mark?
    http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/revenue/altname.htm

• 23 posts
    February 17, 2007 6:46 PM EST
    The domain name is irrelevant. As long as you conduct your business using the LLC name you do not have to file a DBA.

so I can just list under "about" part of the site, that its owned by so and so company?
    • 23 posts
    February 18, 2007 6:59 AM EST
    cool thanks guys
    • 234 posts
    February 17, 2007 12:54 PM EST
    The domain name is irrelevant. As long as you conduct your business using the LLC name you do not have to file a DBA.
    • 234 posts
    February 18, 2007 1:15 AM EST
    That`s correct.