Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » People and Companies Who Inspire

This Ponzi Scheme Has a Happy Ending

• 165 posts
    October 17, 2006 11:59 AM EDT
    Hey...I live here in Oregon...and have frequented their wine bar here in Dundee...they have a WONDERFUL pinot! If you ever get the chance...it is well worth the traffic through the tiny little town! I actually live in Yamhill which is just over the hill from Dundee (literally). I believe the Ponzi vinyards are actually in Hillsboro or Tualatin or something like that! I just love their wine though! I had never know their true story though...thanks for sharing...now I will raise my glass with you!

---
    Leah Tucker

• 65 posts
    October 16, 2006 3:34 PM EDT

I just caught up with this Key Move story about Ponzi Vineyards and successfully building a family business. It’s a nice story about the power and possibilities of family, and leaves me wanting to try some of their wines.

http://www.startupnation.com/pages/keymoves/KM_Ponzi.asp

Reading the conclusion – that by making family a priority and having a strategy to encourage the participation of their children, the Ponzis have successfully made their business part of the family legacy – I couldn’t help being struck by the irony.

In American history the Ponzi name is most associated with “Ponzi schemes” – illegal pyramid schemes that defraud investors of huge sums.

So, in a sense, this Ponzi family has boldly and successfully reclaimed the family name. And how have they done it? By successfully implementing the best kind of “pyramid scheme”, multi-generational family involvement.

So when I actually first get to taste one of those Ponzi pinots, I’ll try and remember to raise my glass and toast this nice entrepreneurial story – the Ultimate Ponzi scheme.

---
    Michael Zucker - Strategic Planning, Marketing & Communications info@zuckerconsulting.com · www.zuckerconsulting.com “Helping You Over The Hurdles – Keeping You Focused On The Finish Line”