Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startups Created by the StartupNation Community

Could We Create a Business Together?

• 45 posts
    May 19, 2008 2:36 PM EDT
    I`m happy to jump back in if people are sufficiently inspired to make something happen. So? Who`s interested?

Jeff
    • 45 posts
    May 22, 2008 9:21 AM EDT
    well it seems that indeed there is some interest in still trying to make something happen in our community with respect to rallying together around a good business idea and transforming that idea into a business in which we would all contribute and share ownership.

I think the key thing this time is to really understand and agree to a process by which we proceed to really make this happen.

Here are some proposed steps from my perspective:

1. Let`s first agree to the overall concept. So here is my proposal: We first agree on a business idea in which a group of us believe in sufficiently to contribute our time and effort, and perhaps capital as well, in exchange for equity in a business based on that idea. Our roles and contributions would obviously vary, and we would have to agree that individuals would receive different levels of ownership based on the value of their contribution. Anyone participating in this project needs to agree to that broad understanding.

2. We submit business ideas and explore them through forum discussions

3. We ultimately agree on an idea that we believe is worth of pursuing

4. We pick the team members and negotiate the ownership percentages

5. We then develop a business plan

6. Execute the development of the business, secure needed resources, and launch the business

That`s an overview of my general approach to this. If anyone has other ideas or comments, please bring it on! Let`s spend the first part of this effort agreeing to this process, and then we can next move to proposing business ideas...

I look forward to it....

Jeff

• 45 posts
    June 6, 2008 2:42 PM EDT

Let`s start to kick around some business ideas. If anyone would like to submit an idea that a group of us could rally around, please feel free to propose....

Let`s then "debate" the merits of each idea and see if one or two surface as good candidates.

Jeff

• 45 posts
    June 26, 2008 12:55 PM EDT
    Is there anyone amongst the contributors to this forum who would like to take the lead and manage the process of collecting the business ideas? If so, please step forward!

I think there has been some interesting commentary regarding ideas already but we need to do this in an organized fashion.

Thanks...

Jeff
    • 45 posts
    July 10, 2008 4:51 PM EDT

I think the recent posts from Denise, Brian, Mike, etc are all interesting and meritorious. This is not a simple process to be sure. I`m here to help facilitate this initiative in any way I can but the interest has to be there on the part of the community to make something happen. I`ll keep following along, and am willing to be more engaged at any time my engagement can be of value to the community. I would love it if somebody took the lead on this and found a way to make progress. Remember, things that seem complicated....even impossible....may be just that until someone proves otherwise. This is not simple...but I don`t think at all impossible. It just takes some drive and commitment, and if people are too busy doing other things (which is understable) then it may remain "impossible", but if someone is looking to put together a business with the resources available through this community, then I do think an opportunity exists to make it happen but only with great leadership and dedication.

Jeff

• 45 posts
    July 15, 2008 7:39 AM EDT
    just had to jump in.....I think Mike is onto it.....

It seems others feel that way as well. I like the general concept, and I like the leadership I`m seeing.

I think you should take the lead on this Mike and keep moving it forward...

Nicely done...

Jeff
    • 1 posts
    October 11, 2006 3:34 AM EDT
    Why not create an online "university for entrepreneurs" that provides online courses; consulting; business resources and business related products? 
    • 65 posts
    October 6, 2006 2:18 PM EDT

It is a doable idea - IMHO.

I compare it to shareware development. It doesn`t matter if someone is in India or Indiana, anyone can contribute. Have you read Thomas Friedman`s The World is Flat? Some excellent examples on real cases of solving problems virtually (be warned, it`s bigger than War & Peace). What you are suggesting is virtual business development.

R@ - that`s interesting, my first thought was how this is a "flat world" idea. It is virtual business development - really a virtual "incubator" to use that hyper popular concept from not too long ago. Certainly cuts down on the overhead!

zman2006-10-6 19:27:4

---
    Michael Zucker - Strategic Planning, Marketing & Communications info@zuckerconsulting.com · www.zuckerconsulting.com “Helping You Over The Hurdles – Keeping You Focused On The Finish Line”

• 65 posts
    October 6, 2006 2:38 PM EDT

I see lots of you have responded to this query....

As I said in my response to Steve...maybe we can make something happen!

I`ll try to propose a way to get this started and post it here....

Jeff

Jeff - I agree that`s it`s a great idea to explore. Certainly no shortage of quality and varied talent here. Plus it`s a chance to break new ground (I think) by essentially creating a virtual incubator.

I think the real trick will be finding a structure that allows for a free flow of ideas and participation by whoever wants - but also incorporates a decision-making process that will keep things moving and will produce results that will stand up to the marketplace and, if necessary, potential funders.

Just taking a wild stab here - do you or Rich know where we might be able to find some venture capital at the appropriate time?

Let`s do it!

Michael

---
    Michael Zucker - Strategic Planning, Marketing & Communications info@zuckerconsulting.com · www.zuckerconsulting.com “Helping You Over The Hurdles – Keeping You Focused On The Finish Line”

• 65 posts
    October 7, 2006 12:33 PM EDT

Just to throw something out there....does anybody think there might be merit in creating a branded e-commerce store which specializes in products - software, hardware, etc. - focused on preventing identity theft and ensuring privacy?? 

Jeff – at first blush, I think it’s a really strong idea worth investigating. Off-the-cuff, it also feels like a key part of the brand promise might involve providing credible information to consumers about the evolving threats we all face and the various types of solutions. It feels like there’s a lot of confusing and sometimes conflicting information out there; as well as new products and services popping up every day – some of (shall we say) questionable merit.

I’d be interested in helping you with the business plan and strategy. I’d also be willing to work as part of a branding/PR/marketing team.

---

• 65 posts
    October 21, 2006 12:42 PM EDT

The identity theft idea is spot on...check out this month`s Small Business Fourtune mag...they have put together a feature piece that focuses on how to prevent this very troublesome area for small business owners.

Thanks for the heads up Kim, and welcome back! Is the article in the October issue? I tried to find it online, and they seem to have full content for back issues, but only some of the content online from the current October issue.

Michael

---

• 65 posts
    October 26, 2006 9:02 AM EDT

MiteyMite - thanks for the great insights and for kicking us all in the collective behind!

Jeff –

Thanks for clarifying and focusing us on a concrete way forward.

To keep the ball moving, I’ve put together a list of ideas I’m seeing from a quick review of the thread. It’s not intended to be an exhaustive list and I apologize if it’s doesn’t accurately reflect all of the ideas. Let me suggest that we use this list as a starting point – everyone please jump in and add, subtract, clarify and refine the list. Then we can move to the next step of settling on the first idea(s) we will focus on.

1.       Branded e-commerce store for ID theft/privacy products

2.       Web Development and Online marketing company

3.       Co-op/Mall (Jeff has told us that this concept is part of SuN’s strategic plan and is already in the works)

4.       Consulting firm – possibly focusing on helping launch startups

5.       Magazine

6.       SuN University (really more of an idea for the SuN team)

7.       E-commerce site for advertising specialties

8.       E-commerce site for home and beauty products

9.       Eric’s idea alluded to in his post today but not yet shared

zman2006-10-26 16:13:28

---

• 1 posts
    November 21, 2006 3:44 PM EST
    Hi Everyone,  My Friend `rexiedexie` told me about this thread.. Very cool.  And I love to connect with Sun people, whether present or past, the creativity of Sun people is invigorating.

Hey I think it is possible.  My network went world wide and we have helped thousands to find jobs through a career network.  We are now building our Business Community to extend the logic.  If everyone brings their talents to an effort it would be inspiring.

Dawn

---
    Dawn Mular http://linkedin.com/in/dmular mular@adelphia.net http://hfcareernetwork.com Join Helping Friends Business/Career Communities Linked In HFCN: http://li-hfcn.notlong.com HFCN Yahoo Groups: http://hfcn-yahoo.notlong.com

• 3 posts
    November 3, 2006 11:16 AM EST
    hey im new to this site as you might already can tell. well i like to start out by saying hello to all... im a young man with a lot of good ideas maybe that`s why im here to find that person or persons who can use a strong mind like mine that thinks a little different the first of many plans is to find some good people to help me start up the first Gamers video lounge where we would sell video system video games and hold video contests... the idea grows into maybe sports bars with the same concept Gaming which i might add is one of biggest thing out making billions of dollors every year with no signs of slowing down site... looking forward to hearing from those who want to make lots of money together... im from the Washington D.C area but my plan will work anywhere this i know...

---
    Michael Westpoint

• 3 posts
    May 20, 2008 6:02 AM EDT
    ok Jeff you might be on too something that im into now i have many ideas but no money so how can i help; well i would love to share my ideas and see if we can make money off of them.  im from Washington D.C but live in Maryland and im not that old yet lol but i spent many years just thinking what life would be like if i had the help i needed to follow up on the ideas and plans i`ve come up with to make the world a little better. Well like i said i don`t have the money but i know i have the plan and ideas to make money and to help our younger people live and look forward to having a better live so i`ll love to help in anyway i can so if anyone wants to i hear and you can use any of my ideas to make money and help people. thanks for letting me share and hope to hear for someone soon...

---
    Michael Westpoint

• 3 posts
    May 27, 2008 4:39 AM EDT
    im sorry it took me awhile to reply just waiting to see how many people would respond.  i have a couple of ideas i want to throw out here to get some feed back. my first plan has to do with my name on here Gamer now if you are into home video system like i am you should know its one of the fastest growing and i don`t see a slow down anytime soon.  so i want to open up a Gamers lounge a Games sports bar or Gamers kids which will host parties for kid.  i don`t want ot go to deep into my plans yet i just want to throw the names out their and see what others can come up with than add on to what i already came up with. but to give people a safe place outside of their homes to gather and enjoy playing the system will be a great way to make money in any state. this is just one idea of mine and i have others but this one is the easiest to come together on and make happen and also will make lots of money...

---
    Michael Westpoint

• 1 posts
    October 29, 2006 1:54 PM EST
    Wow, I`m new to startup nation and this sure is a busy thread!

I would certainly be willing to send in my best secret.  I really like this idea. I think everyone should focus on ideas like this in their business, you can put in some time to spill all you know on a topic once and you can continue to reap the benefits of it for years to come. Sell copies while you sleep!

---
    --------- Nick Nanton, Esq Dicks & Nanton P.A. Enterprise & Entertainment Law www.DicksNanton.com

• 2 posts
    January 30, 2007 9:13 AM EST

Hi Jeff,

Excellent suggestion.  Count me in.

Darren

• 0 posts
    October 30, 2006 9:51 AM EST

it comes to mind that if we are voting for leaders, we should probably begin talking about how you qualify to become a part of this project.

Besides knowing how to qualify for participation, I am wondering what specific skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications are needed. 

---
    Nicole Champagne
    Email: influencialexpectations@gmail.com
    Cell: (734) 262-3730
    Soar With Influencial Expectations!

• 4 posts
    March 3, 2007 11:21 AM EST
    I`m new to this forum and was wondering if the business you are talking about has already been created or is it in the process of been created.

---
    Entry level jobs, college recruitment, job placement at newenglandgrads.com Ali Mo owner. "The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything." by Theodore Roosevelt

• 3 posts
    November 2, 2006 4:13 AM EST

Today I made my second pass through this forum.  And not only is it all a great idea, but everytime I read more, I get a few more suggestions or plans of attack, or ideas, for my own direction.

I`d sure like to be part of this.  I`ve recently joined several "business" communities, and this one is by far the best for focus and direction.  I am excited to read these posts now everyday and sit back, learn, contribute, and take action when that time comes.

My education is from the school of hard knocks.  Most recently my background is in market research, and I consider my expertise to be getting on the phone and getting things done - gathering information and formulating results.

I`m anxious to see who wins the election of point man (or woman) and watch things really take off from there, and help it along as best I can

---
    mark OLDFRENCHY mark@ethingsworldwide,com

• 5 posts
    April 12, 2007 3:05 PM EDT

Great idea Jeff...however I would love to broaden you insight a little more if I may.

Are you accepting ideas on this? 

Thank you for your time,

Patience

• 5 posts
    April 16, 2007 1:03 PM EDT

OK Guys business took me away for a while here is a suggestion.

Virtual Business Challenge

Create a atmosphere on net where entreprenuers and experts meet, mastermind and conquer the task of beginning to finished product of business.  This will allow many ways to grow onto feeding upcomming challenges and perfect for back end sales for this perticular business.  Also, this idea will fuel itself by gaining interest on your radio show and the use of your website.  In addition, there is no reason each person could not financially benifit. I can further describe how all this  will work later. 

TEAM ONE -Entreprnuers that accept the challenge and to their best ability submit an entry with their idea., why it is needed, where they see profits etc.

We could begin with my idea...The Challenge!

TEAM TWO - Your pannel of experts that create entry forum and rules that would allow the best idea to be picked.  In addition this pannel would go through and judge verbally on the forum why one is picked and one is not picked. Showing the weeded out processs This would allow spectators to learn for the next and up comming challenge.  .

Also these experts would have to hand in hand help guide the contestant picked through the phases from beginning to end.  You could do this many ways to it is not so costly on your experts time. (I can further explain)

The pannel of experts would pick Oh among 10 ideas summited and your spectators would also be apart of the judgeing process.

I will tell you more if there is an interest if not I can learn from the rest of you out there and stop taking up space.

Thanks for your time,

Patience 

• 5 posts
    April 16, 2007 1:09 PM EDT

Oh yes and one last thing about the challange...

Everyone wins - spectators get to revup for the next challange as they learn along, Contestants win as experts guide them and they learn, and Experts gain acknowlegment about their expertise and I can tell later how they can benifit.

Money wise, the investors, and winner of contest will come out great!

There are many spin offs to this idea but for now what do you guys think?

• 5 posts
    April 17, 2007 7:38 AM EDT

Man Criag, you have some good insights.

I enjoy learning from you.