Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startups Created by the StartupNation Community

Could We Create a Business Together?

• 41 posts
    October 14, 2006 3:09 PM EDT

One more thing. Have a startupnation contest to find the perfect name for the new magazine and have members vote on name. Then purchase company domain name.

Creating a new business is tons of work. Anytime you can add some fun and community involvement to a project it makes the hard work worth it.

The steps to get started on this include a magazine publishing plan and business plan, graphic designer to develop brand logos, webmaster, tons of freelance Sun member authors, photoraphers, a marketing expert, publicist, team to review articles submitted, sales reps for advertising, a finance person to raise funds  & handle finances, art director and production manager.

"Research institute MRI reports that 84 percent of adults read magazines. Thats a huge market...According to Husni (chair of the journalism department at the University of Mississippi), average profit margins for magazine businesses range from 10 percent to 30 percent" according to Bob Schustedt on magazinelaunch.com

rocknroll3332006-10-14 20:13:48

---
    Laurie Champagne
    CMO
    Groove Rock Gear, Inc.
    grooverockgear.com
    grooverockmusic.com
    grooverockradio.com

email: laurie[at]grooverockgear.com

• 41 posts
    October 14, 2006 8:12 PM EDT

Good Idea,

There probably should be at least a yearly convention for all participants..part of the reward for reaching certain subscription goals etc.

Craig, since your a writer you definately should participate if this idea is approved and takes off.

:)

---
    Laurie Champagne
    CMO
    Groove Rock Gear, Inc.
    grooverockgear.com
    grooverockmusic.com
    grooverockradio.com

email: laurie[at]grooverockgear.com

• 2 posts
    January 16, 2007 9:42 PM EST
    Wow, That a great idea, count me in.  I just expanded(opened )my second start up business. I now have a branch.  Let me know how I can help
    • 3 posts
    November 18, 2006 4:26 PM EST
    With the wealth of knowledge on this site, I think that would be a fantastic idea. I would love to work with web promotions. Count me in!!!
    • 15 posts
    October 22, 2006 9:25 PM EDT
    I am a security expert and can answer any questions regarding business, IT, espionage, identity theft, social engineering,....SECURITY.

What is the current status on this virtual business?

---
    CEO of TextHub.com
    What we do: "Connect you to your audience through their mobile devices at the right place, at the right time, with the right message."

• 15 posts
    October 22, 2006 10:44 PM EDT
    Count me in!!! This sounds really cool!!  Obviously we have limited business ideas that would actually work.  Of course we could do something like use a wiki to write a book together.  Something we could all relate to say...."starting a business"  and call in the Business Bible.  Jeff & Rich already wrote a book but this one can go deeper maybe.  Also, if you have an idiot posting false information we can delete it and its logged that the persons data is being deleted so they could be banned.  Google answers has a flawless online system!!!  If one of the researchers posts an answer that the customer is not happy with...seeya!!  They no longer have a job.  With this virtual business there are going to be weak links in our company. There must be a way of measuring and keeping the bar high or this is bound to fail.  Read up on google anwers about it.

Google Answers has a stringent process for screening Researchers before they`re allowed to participate. Each applicant must write an essay explaining why he or she wants to take part in the program and successfully answer a number of test questions. Once Researchers begin answering live questions, you`re encouraged to rate their responses to ensure they continue to provide useful information. If an individual`s rating falls below an acceptable level, he or she will no longer be allowed to participate as a Researcher.

---
    CEO of TextHub.com
    What we do: "Connect you to your audience through their mobile devices at the right place, at the right time, with the right message."

• 15 posts
    December 18, 2006 9:53 PM EST
    I still say whatever we do we ride a trend wave.  Meaning we know where some trends are going others are harder to predict.  The baby boomer generation is an easy one to target....too easy.  Thats why everyones doing it.  Other less obvious trends is IT security.  It is not publicized by credit card companies but we are in a identity theft crises in our country.  Never before have we had so many identity thefts the numbers keep rising.  Credit card fraud is at an all time high!!  Thats sort of hush hush as well.  It sounds so complicated that people dont want to touch it with a 12 foot pole.  And the solution is complex this is a complex problem but with 80 minds working on it this should be cake.
    -BIG PROBLEM SOLVED = BIG PROFIT MARGINS!!!!!

---
    CEO of TextHub.com

• 15 posts
    December 18, 2006 10:22 PM EST
    Here are my top votes:  WE CAN COME UP WITH BETTER IDEAS THEN THESE COME ON STARTUP NATION!!!  LETS GET INNOVATIVE.
    1-e.
    5-a
    5-b
    5-d
    8-a.
    8-b.

---
    CEO of TextHub.com

• 15 posts
    December 19, 2006 9:09 PM EST
    What if we created a website that allows groups of people to colaborate on business ideas and keep the group very organized.  This is exactly what our group needs!!!

---
    CEO of TextHub.com

• 15 posts
    January 7, 2007 10:31 AM EST
    What can I offer?

I can insure corporate security...make sure competitors are not finding out our trade secrets.  I can get our competitors products and reverse engineer them.  I can get information about our competitors that normal people can not.  I can speak at conferences & trade shows on our product.  I have lots of experience in public speaking as a sales engineer.  

---
    CEO of TextHub.com

• 15 posts
    April 16, 2007 10:24 AM EDT
    Don,
    I think SSL client certs are a great idea; but I. am not sure how to get the idea off of the ground (i.e. how to get people to want to install them, setting up a CA, etc.)  Have you successfully done this in your test environment?
    Regards,
    -mmichuda

---
    CEO of TextHub.com

• 9 posts
    May 1, 2007 5:41 PM EDT

I just joined this web site and learned of this potential project.  Would love to be a part of it. 

I have an idea centered around a universal love.........FOOD!!

Anyone interested in starting a healthy fast food restaurant?  healthy and fast food sound like an oxymoron.........but that is the point!  We need more healthy options for busy travelers on the road.  Don`t know where to start.......

• 6 posts
    June 26, 2008 12:46 PM EDT
    Hello Everyone!! I am new here and I am really excited to hear from all of
    you. To put it in simple terms: My husband and I are both artists . He with
    photography and art,Myself with music. I would like to combine both our
    talents so that we can run a business together. Unfortunately the category
    that his photography falls in is very competitive so there has to be
    something that we could do to make him stand out. He currently works a
    day job and does the photography on the side. I feel that with the right
    funding we could invest more into his side business and make it more
    lucrative. Any suggestions? I am tired of us being the starving artists we
    have talent and its time to make money off of it! Cheers!

---
    Marylou G. Tovar

• 2 posts
    November 13, 2006 9:39 AM EST

Jeff,

I`m new to the community and I am open for any new ideas. Currently I am also looking for a variety of combined resources to do the same with my startup(s).  How would this work if using a physical product requiring a physical stocking location or are you thinking more along the line of other products which only require on-line transactions only? Regardless, keep me in the loop.

By the way, thanks for bringing us this website.

---
    Dwight M.

• 165 posts
    October 10, 2006 2:18 PM EDT

I am so interested to see where this all goes! What a cool idea! I am pretty good at research...if you need any of that...and I can type up a storm! I was in sales for about 7 years prior to baby...and try to keep up with the trends and what have you!  

Anyway...can`t wait to see how this all develops!

---
    Leah Tucker

• 165 posts
    October 11, 2006 11:53 AM EDT

Why not create an online "university for entrepreneurs" that provides online courses; consulting; business resources and business related products? 

Isn`t this being done through SCORE? Do we want to try to compete with a non-profit who gives these types of services away for free!? If we do...how would we make ourselves stand out...how would we be different!?

---
    Leah Tucker

• 165 posts
    October 12, 2006 6:10 AM EDT

Leah, Score in my town is not online. You have to get in your car and drive there and they only give you an hour plus to me it is very inconvenient. It takes me about 2 hours with driving there and back to get one hour of mentoring. Plus you may get put with different counselers if your own favorite is on vacation. That`s what happened to me and I just didnt go back. Also a Score counselor will probably have experience in a few areas only.

Wow...that is not the experience I have had with SCORE...I would agree with you if that were how it happened with me...and you are right...even here it isn`t online...I did forget that! I have had a great experience though. My first counselor was more into marketing...so she found another counselor for me to meet with...who dealt with a lot of non-profit startup...and he has introduced me to another counselor who also deals with startups in non-profit and more specifically in the medical arenas. I am sorry your encounter was not as fulfilling! I have to admit...I don`t hear from them unless I initiate the contact...which means not very often anymore. But the resource was good at the beginning...got lots of good ideas out of my head and onto paper!

I like the idea of a SCORE type SuN company! I know I could`ve used something similar in my startup phases! I have to admit though...it seems to me...that is kind of what these forums are though...only...um...free! (sorry...just being devil`s advocate here)  Although the idea of being able to find the answers quickly without posting and waiting and posting and waiting...that would be nice!

I like the idea of the Infinite Improbability Drive though...I think we could do it...sure!!!

---
    Leah Tucker

• 2 posts
    July 12, 2008 5:55 PM EDT
    If I had a product to offer the public, how would your program benefit me???
    • 3 posts
    October 10, 2006 5:29 AM EDT
    I am down with this, Jeff!
    It sounds like a great idea... count me in.
    • 3 posts
    October 10, 2006 6:59 AM EDT

I`m not so sure I agree. I find entreprenuers competitive, to be sure. But I`ve met a lot of collaborative entrepreneurs on this board, as well.
    And when they`re collaborating for some moolah, who knows.
    (Maybe it`s called collabora-ka-ching.)

• 45 posts
    October 5, 2006 10:07 AM EDT

SUN Community...

Do any of you think it could be possible for us as a community to identify a business idea; find people within the community interested in developing and executing on the business idea; create a business plan together; and launch and run the business? If it`s possible, those that participate could be the owners of the company. It`s a wild thought, but how cool would it be to use the power of our community to go beyond just sharing ideas and expertise. We could actually put our collective capabilities to work, build businesses together, create success together, and share the rewards together...

What do you think????

Jeff

• 45 posts
    October 6, 2006 10:13 AM EDT

Steve....

I`m excited about this idea as well....

Let`s see if we can make something happen....

Jeff

• 45 posts
    October 6, 2006 10:15 AM EDT

I see lots of you have responded to this query....

As I said in my response to Steve...maybe we can make something happen!

I`ll try to propose a way to get this started and post it here....

Jeff

• 45 posts
    October 7, 2006 6:19 AM EDT

Hey Everybody....Great comments....and even better enthusiasm! I think this idea has merit, but as has been pointed out, there are logistical challenges. I think we should try to work through them. Let`s test the idea by actually trying to make something happen.

The first step is to explore business ideas. I think an online business makes the most sense since we will be a virtual company - all operating from each of our own homebase. Maybe an e-commerce company???

Just to throw something out there....does anybody think there might be merit in creating a branded e-commerce store which specializes in products - software, hardware, etc. - focused on preventing identity theft and ensuring privacy?? I know this is a hot area. For example, take a look at the simple example of what`s happened in the personal paper shredder market. Silly as it sounds...you see lots of new brands, sales are brisk, and the reason is because people don`t want to throw out documents without destroying them first because they are concerned about identity theft and privacy issues. This is an example of a hardware product line which could be offered. And the examples go on and on....

Just a thought....I`m open to ideas from others, but I have the feeling this could make for a hot business idea.

I for one am willing to work on the business plan, provide strategic guidance, and be responsible for raising money.

We need people who can do web development, merchandising, product sourcing, branding, PR and marketing, and of course we need people who could operate the company.

Thoughts??

Jeff

• 45 posts
    October 8, 2006 6:27 AM EDT

I think Craig poses some interesting and appropriate questions. This is really "blue sky" thinking. I`m not sure there is clear definition or formula to this yet. I just threw up a very general idea in the hope that maybe we can hone it collectively through this forum. And my idea for a branded ecommerce site that would focus on hardware and software products focused on privacy and identity theft protection is nothing more than a seedling of an idea. I`m not sure it`s a good idea at all at this point. But just going on a hunch that this area coupled with the emerging successes we`re now seeing in ecommerce made me think that there might be merit. To be clear, I am open to hearing lots of other ideas before we focus on this one or any other one. Let`s keep exploring. Glad to know there is interest out there and to know that people are really putting some thought into the possibilities as well as the logistical challenges. Thanks Craig and to all commenting....

Jeff