Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startups Created by the StartupNation Community

Could We Create a Business Together?

• 18 posts
    October 16, 2006 11:31 AM EDT
    I just caught onto this thread and think this may be worth giving an entreprenaureal shot!

I breezed through the 15 pages of talk and I am still not sure that we came up with a decision on what the product should be. Since SUN is a community that is concentrating on small business start-ups, then it would seem to me that an e-commerce site that small business start-ups can refer to and buy material from is the thing to do. With that said, how about an e-commerce site full of advertising specialties at a reduced rate?

We can team up with ASI (advertising specialty institute) and gain priority pricing. Our following can buy promotional items on our site and we can build up quite a cash reserve, I bet. We will need some start up funding, but not much to start. Then we use our resources to survive.

We can constantly add new items from who ever wants to contribute their ideas and make ourselves a promotional distributor that works with small business and entrepreneurs.

This can really turn into a co-op of sorts.

Count me in, but enough talking... let`s do it!

---
    Jack Edelman The Promotions Department, Inc. 10301 NW 18th Manor Plantation, FL 33322 954-257-3644 fax 954-382-0049 http://www.distributorcentral.com/websites/the promotionsdepartmentinc sales@promotionsdept.us "Call The Promotions Department, they`ll take ca

• 18 posts
    January 22, 2007 4:23 PM EST
    Jeff,

This sounds almost like a co-op or buying association. It`s a good idea for us to help ourselves and also help the group, (business). I`m involved with marketing and would be interested in assisting getting this project off the ground.

That`s what we needed... a more concrete outline that can be envisioned...

Great job Jeff!

---
    Jack Edelman The Promotions Department, Inc. 10301 NW 18th Manor Plantation, FL 33322 954-257-3644 fax 954-382-0049 http://www.distributorcentral.com/websites/the promotionsdepartmentinc sales@promotionsdept.us "Call The Promotions Department, they`ll take ca

• 10 posts
    January 8, 2008 7:44 AM EST
    What a wonderful idea Jeff!  The hardest part would be to come up with a product that eveyone would agree on.  Count me in.  I can definitely provide the startup funding if needed.

---
    Jamie Liu
    President
    J&R Capital Group
    Meeting all the financial needs for start-ups & established Businesses.
    www.jrcapgroup.com

• 3 posts
    November 21, 2006 11:19 AM EST
     Jeff/Group,
      Yes, This is why I`m here.  I have just the (patented) products.  My guitar technology can make us all wealthy.  What is the 2nd step? Lets do this. NOW!

---
    Jeffery S. Gilday Esq. U.S. Patent(s) #5,726,369 (313) 673-4817

• 3 posts
    October 11, 2006 2:20 AM EDT

SUN Community...

What do you think????

Count me in as well and let me know when you`re ready to hear some ideas.  I have several that I think could work in this format.

• 2 posts
    October 16, 2006 4:43 AM EDT

I love the idea it is very exiting.

I`m IN

---
    Joe Scionti joepippo1@yahoo.com

• 13 posts
    October 11, 2006 5:59 PM EDT
    Better, think of Internet2.

The Internet as we know it is about to undergo a fundamental change,
    and go away.

Can you point to sources? I`m aware of web 2.0, and I`m also aware of the
    efforts of some (think eentertainment and telecom) to gain back lost
    control in their dislike of the democratization of media via the internet
    with it`s intelligence at the edges design, but they aren`t going to put the
    genie back in the bottle. But if you`re talking about something else, I`d
    like to see some additional sources.

Thanks
    john1462006-10-11 23:0:45

---
    --
    John Ahrens, President
    John Ahrens, LLC

• 1 posts
    October 10, 2006 3:39 PM EDT

Lets talk about the business concept, I like the idea of inventions, I am sure we all have one we would like to get off the ground? I have many. Share your thoughts on this. And for instance if this does get off the ground what about the website for inventors through SuN on how to price, market, sell etc.There are so many avenues for products to be made over seas cheap!

Jodi 

---
    Jodi Davis

• JWD
    • 8 posts
    October 28, 2006 4:58 AM EDT
    I am a business attorney to large and small companies. I will donate my services to get a company going in an LLC. This is an interesting idea worth exploring.
  • JWD
    • 8 posts
    October 28, 2006 6:11 AM EDT

Here is an easy idea we can all participate in.

We collectively write an ebook, "Insider Secrets from StartupNation Members." (Assuming Jeff lets us use his named trademark). the ebook can be compiled and sold on the SuN web site, all of our  collective web sites, Amazon and any of our extended sites. We can each use our own viral networks to promote.

Anyone who has a "secret" they have learned can participate. All proceeds can be used to help fund the next "bigger " idea the group starts"

Could be fun, helpful, and generate some start up money or fund grants ,scholarships or other help for entrepreneurs.

• JWD
    • 8 posts
    October 28, 2006 7:38 AM EDT
    Agree with both points to the last post.   Primary use of the LLC is to avoid double taxation and to have direct flow through of profits and losses. That is why i like it better than the "C".
  • JWD
    • 8 posts
    October 29, 2006 8:39 AM EST
    JWD wrote:

Here is an easy idea we can all participate in.

We collectively write an ebook, "Insider Secrets from StartupNation Members." (Assuming Jeff lets us use his named trademark). the ebook can be compiled and sold on the SuN web site, all of our  collective web sites, Amazon and any of our extended sites. We can each use our own viral networks to promote.

Anyone who has a "secret" they have learned can participate. All proceeds can be used to help fund the next "bigger " idea the group starts"

Could be fun, helpful, and generate some start up money or fund grants ,scholarships or other help for entrepreneurs.

this is an interesting idea....someone would need to spearhead the organization of the ideas and thoughts that would go into the book. What do you envision the price point to be for such a publication?

Are you capable of taking the lead?

Jeff 

I have staff who could handle the organization and editing of the book (we publish an 82 page magazine every month).

If it is an ebook we could price from $5 to $10 and make it very affordable.

I would be happy to take the lead if you would sell it on your site.

JWD

Jeff Sloan
    Co-founder, StartupNation!

• JWD
    • 8 posts
    October 29, 2006 8:42 AM EST

Sorry didn`t mean to put Jeff`s name at the end of my post. Bad typing. Guess that`s why I have an editoral staff. :)   JWD

• JWD
    • 8 posts
    October 29, 2006 10:36 AM EST

I am new to your site but it seems the best way to put the book together would be chapters based on key areas of your site. Certainly those were the ones that attracted the community in the first place. For example, part 1. could be how to start your business. Part 2, How to grow your business.each would then have sub chapters to it.

A good format for this type of book is the "Chicken Soup" books model. Every person that is part of the StartUpNation could be invited to submit their best "secret" in each catagory we offer.   In the end you have a book of hundreds of "Inside Secrets" that we could all profit form, maybe sell some, and all contributors could be part of a published book. The community creates a community book thast helps the members of the community. It might also make money because the overhead is low.

Let me know what you need and if you will sell on Startupnation.com

• 11 posts
    July 15, 2008 8:10 AM EDT
    In reading the current thread regarding the issue of "building a business together", the irresistible urge to "join the fray" leads me to comment..........

In all fairness, my personal observation is that each of us undoubtedly are currently deeply involved in projects of self interest, and would seem to find it difficult to take away time from those endeavors.

I personally am in the earliest stages of "re-starting" a previously very profitable business which I foolishly sold some years ago to a buyer who, intentionally or otherwise, allowed the venture to fail and go by the wayside.  Fortunately, in the legal structuring of the sales transaction, I retained all rights to forumulas, marketing stratagies, etc. in the evenuality of such occurence transpiring.

As an unexpected "bonus", the market to which my product(s) were targeted, has now become even more expansive.  The U.S. government itself has identified this arena as being one of utmost concern. 

With that said, I do however emphatically agree that collaborative efforts directed toward any goal will generally yeild greater results than could be reasonably expected from individual efforts alone.

If anyone who reads this post would be interested in discussing possible participation, I am always open to such discussions.

Jerry  aka  ijitterbug  

• 11 posts
    July 15, 2008 6:31 PM EDT

Here is something that the readers of this forum might wish to "throw against the wall" and see "what sticks"!

Americans spend $40 billion a year on weight-loss programs and products.

Potentially a venture in which some might have an interest in participating.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I’m in the early stages of "re-starting" a previously successful and highly profitable business.

I alluded to the fact that the U.S. government has identified a highly significant health trend among the population of the United States.

Quote from the CDC National Center for Health Statistics , " More than one-third of U.S. adults -–– over 72 million people -- were obese in 2005-2006. This includes 33.3 percent of men and 35.3 percent of women. "

My company developed a highly efficacious, non-prescriptive, chewable tablet designed to assist those wishing to lose some of those unwanted pounds.

During the first "rollout" of my company’s product, sales went from zero to over $1M in 10 ½ months.

Those with interest in further information please respond.

Jerry aka ijitterbug

• 11 posts
    July 20, 2008 9:29 AM EDT

THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Reading, re-reading, then fully reviewing what I have just read and re-read, a startling observation has been made.

It appears to me, from my personal and maybe not so objective viewpoint, many of those who post to this Forum are merely looking for a place to vent and to promote agendas not even remotely connected to the original concept on which this Forum was developed. People helping people, in an informal setting, to bring forth ideas and concepts for discussion of business(s) which may or may not come to fruition. StartUp Nation is promoting the idea that, in a collaborative manner, it is possible to draw on the experience, education, and history of a number of persons, and by doing so, will potentially result in a business which can thrive and succeed.

Few people if any, on an individual basis,  have the total sum of needed skills to build a business from conception, implementation, growth, management and following profitable practices to bring the desired results.

History tells us that the most highly successful people in all walks of the business world have one thing in common. The ability to surround themselves with people who possess skills and abilities necessary to build a business.  I can think of no one who has single handedly built a business without some form of assistance from another person or persons.

As I have alluded to in previous postings to this Forum, I am presently in the early stages of re-starting a previously very successful and profitable business. Even though all elements of such a "re-start" are present, I will continue to reach out to others who may have an interest in participating and assisting me to take this business to the next level.

Discussion, collaboration, sharing of ideas........... All these attributes are necessary to each of us as we pursue our individual goals and ambitions.

Enough from my "soap box".

I wish each and every person who reads these postings, a life filled with peace, prosperity and good health.

To our success.

Jerry aka ijitterbug

• 14 posts
    April 1, 2007 7:16 PM EDT

Jeff,

I think it is a great idea.  Especially for people like me who work in Corporate America, but still want to contribute a few hours to something more exciting.  Thanks for creating this website.  It`s a great place to toss out ideas and see what catches on.

How about creating a business plan and then partner with the Small Business Assn. to find someone interested in working the business, while we operate as the Board and contribute oversight?

---
    Change creates Opportunity Opportunity creates Risk and Reward But, Who creates Change?

• 39 posts
    October 20, 2006 8:09 AM EDT

I did the same thing, read the first couple of pages and felt compelled to get my 2cents in. Okay, 1cent for now, I``ll add the other after I have read the other pages.

I`m already excited about the SUN Team and I just got here. Count me in please...

---
    I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10b, NKJV.

• October 22, 2006 4:31 PM EDT

Jeff,  an interesting idea.

My 2 immediate thoughts for collabarative businesses:

1.  Ebay userid:  startupnation  -  everybody here can find something that can be sold on Ebay - if not, I can teach them how to source products.   If we`ve got 200 members each offering some product for sale, we`ve got a formidible userid and an excellent profit potential.  I can envision a web-based portal that everyone would enter their inventory into, provide pictures and descriptions, etc.  We could manage the id centrally and handle all of the auction management.  We would handle all of the auctions, the seller would ship the items when it sells. This would be AWESOME!  We could have sales contests for sellers within the group, profit would be shared between all the sellers, etc.  I`ve been stewing on this idea for some time and maybe this is the place to get it rolling.

2.  StartupNation Magazine -  go head to head with Entreprenuer magazine.  Same concept, with the power of all us SUNners creating the articles, selling the ad space, promoting it online, etc.  We`d sell the magazine via the usual channels, and again split the revenue.  We`ve got plenty of people here on SUN to make this one work. 

Thoughts?

-Kevin

---
    Sleep is for the uninspired

http://www.inflatablemadnessdvd.com
    http://www.buybackmadness.com

• 344 posts
    October 5, 2006 6:34 PM EDT

Jeff,

It is a doable idea - IMHO. Just look at what was done on your brother`s thread about blue jeans (maybe this is where this new idea came from???) - collaborative marketing campaign development.

I compare it to shareware development. It doesn`t matter if someone is in India or Indiana, anyone can contribute. Have you read Thomas Friedman`s The World is Flat? Some excellent examples on real cases of solving problems virtually (be warned, it`s bigger than War & Peace). What you are suggesting is virtual business development. It is worth at least one stab at it  Go for it!

---
    Richard Arnold · Key Concept Writers · Business Communication: The "Key" To Success· Law of Attraction Blog · Life Ain`t Brain Surgery Blog

• 344 posts
    January 24, 2007 4:56 PM EST

Jeff - glad to see you`re back actively involved on the business development concept.

Isn`t the business you described being done by companies like elance.com and others? Maybe I`m missing something but it looks very similar. If this is true, what sets this idea apart from the competitive sites? Help me understand better.

I do have a suggestion on any business that is started. I like the idea of the establishment of an executive team getting the ball rolling in the early stages. I would also suggest the formation of an advisory board. Why?

I believe there are a fair number of SuN members who fall into the category of non-startup - established business people who are running profitable businesses (and many for many years) - and post here and read the threads and chime in from time to time. I base this on reading the posts since April `06 and reviewing profiles and also the advice given to questions asked. I would fall into that category. I have been a professional for 40 years and owned and operated my own business since the early 90s. I didn`t become a member because I was starting a business. I do like being around startup type people. I do like giving back and re-paying for help people provided to me many years ago.

I believe a fair number of SuN members fall into this category and do not have the time to devote the necessary time and energy that this "idea" business will require; due to ongoing business requirements - keeping their own customers happy. However - and I speak for myself here - it would be exciting to be involved at some level, i.e.: participating as an Advisory Board member.

Just an idea. Ponder it. I see value. Maybe you do, too.

Have a great tomorrow.

R@

---
    Richard Arnold · Key Concept Writers · Business Communication: The "Key" To Success· Law of Attraction Blog · Life Ain`t Brain Surgery Blog

• 6 posts
    October 5, 2006 2:06 PM EDT

It`s ambitious and I love it!  Very out of the box! 

With an honest effort by all the talent of the SuN community  - It`s destined for greatness! 

• 1 posts
    April 24, 2013 1:53 AM EDT

This would be something I would be interested in being a part of. Sounds like a very great idea and can turn into something big. 

• 41 posts
    October 14, 2006 9:52 AM EDT

It is possible to create a virtual company. I did and its going great. I met my business partners on myspace and we floated ideas back and forth via email. Once we had a great concept of creating a socially conscious rock and roll clothing line, we developed the business plan and created our online e-commerce store.

The trick to having a successful company is having a team of experts or people willing to become experts in the industry chosen. All the team members need to not only pull thier weight but be passionate about the corporate concept. Rather than go off on a tangent with a new type of business start with something close to home..i.e. a business that Jeff, Rich have a good background in first, then expand to other ventures.

To give an example of this I helped develop a bunch of online flower companies for fortune 500 clients and such like Home Depot etc. I never met the team at Home Depot in person, just conference calls and we created a virtul online flower division. Home Depot already sold a lot of flowers in thier stores and it made sense to offer that type of product to customers who visited thier online store.

A business model that would make sense for SUN would be a SUN magazine. The magazine can be available online and in print. The members of SUN could be the contributing authors of business content with Jeff and Rich being the executive editors. To see a good sample of an online magazine go to Polo.com and click on magazine. Ralph Lauren turned his fashion empire into a lifestyle brand. He is providing content and even a polo.com tv

What is it that SUN members do best? Participate in discussions, blogging and appearing on the radio show.

Revenue can be generated from selling ads, partering with companies for corporate sponsorship like Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Banner ads online. future initiatives could include an online tv show or talk show on a network like PBS.

The best thing about this idea is that all current Sun posts etc can be used to brainstorm story ideas for the magazine turning sun into a full fledged media company.

rocknroll3332006-10-14 14:55:4

---
    Laurie Champagne
    CMO
    Groove Rock Gear, Inc.
    grooverockgear.com
    grooverockmusic.com
    grooverockradio.com

email: laurie[at]grooverockgear.com