Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startups Created by the StartupNation Community

Could We Create a Business Together?

• 195 posts
    November 13, 2006 5:55 PM EST

My top 10: 5a-5b-5c-5d-5f-8a-8b-22-25-27

5a-d and 5f  (No 5e)  Almost the entire 5 series Allows for most options while delivering the right people.More important, the process can be repeated and constantly improved.

8a-b I would like to see more details. Looks complex but could be effective. There is a need for a one stop shop of this nature. No reason it couldn`t be addressed in the 5 series.

22- E-Book.  Perhaps of the most cost effective "starter" idea on the board.

25- SuN Label concept deserves a closer look. I`d like to hear more details about how this would be implemented. This method of branding could lead to strengthening the credibility and draw interest for many of the products or businesses.

27- The Magazine concepts have my interest even while considering the huge failure rate. More info please.

Eric2006-11-13 23:57:45

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    If all you do is what you`ve done, then all you`ll get is what you`ve got.
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    November 21, 2006 5:17 AM EST

Hello again everybody. I`ve been silently watching these last several pages unfold. I had a nagging suspicion that this thread was going to get caught in an eddy current and that`s OK really. When and where it pulls out of this eddy current may have been 2 pages ago when Mitey  asked "What would you think if this thread started right here" and offered a "do over" ....great idea.

To that I say yes-- A regroup is definitely in order. Please place us back upstream into calm waters again so we can take in our surroundings and get a bearing on our location and take a look at our map. Let`s see which streams are truly navigable for a canoe, an important distinction....this isn`t a fancy power boat like Sloan Bros. tool around in. This boat runs purely on people power until it can afford to upgrade. Yes, it`s slower and requires more teamwork but it`s all we have. With Captain Mitey at the rudder I`m confident that she`ll have this boat patched up and everyone paddling together once again. I have but a single paddle and I`m awaiting orders.

By the way..... It has been very interesting to see the debates over the process and the opportunities available. I`m seeing excellent examples of individuals improving their viewpoint, reinforcing their concepts, and taking diplomatic steps toward convincing others of what they believe to be an ideal opportunity. This is real progress in itself.

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    November 24, 2006 6:48 AM EST

Go back to page 10, the last post on that page answers this question. Jeff reveals more about his intentions on that page than at any other point in this thread.

Steve, Thanks for taking the time to go back and bring Jeff`s string of posts back to our attention.  I think that it again puts much of this into perspective.

What I`ve taken from it is this:

Jeff clearly states that he does not see a business built and operated by 800 people with 800 people profiting. He sees many profitable businesses built by smaller teams using the SuN infrastructure as a tool to facilitate the process.

He also acknowledges that the method to accomplish this has yet to be developed. The growing pains we see before us are undoubtedly just a sampling of this development. 

Though caught in the heat at times, I`ve abandoned all hand-wringing anxiety many pages back. I see that progress being made, however syncopated the rhythm, and I`m able to enjoy this transformation. I hope that others are still doing what they can to make sure that they are doing what they can to have fun with this and enjoy the journey or the very least take from this a real learning experience.

~Eric

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 3 posts
    October 15, 2006 8:48 AM EDT

This is my first post on SuN, but I`ve been following this string since the beginning. I tend to agree with those who have said to go the VC/incubator route. I think this would be the best use of all our skills, as well as being more productive and more captivating. You only jump on board those ideas you like. Obviously we all have different interests. In fact, I think I have a great idea for one of the startups.

One thing I`m struggling with though is distributing equity. .

Distributing equity can get quite sticky in regards to securities law if I`m not mistaken. Any lawyers on here who can elaborate on equity distribution? I see somewhat of a similarity to a real estate investment trust in that there would be a large number of people with a small to medium investment.

Just a quick question I thought I`d throw out for discussion. More later.

paulbrown2006-10-15 13:51:15
    • 3 posts
    October 15, 2006 8:58 PM EDT

My apologies, some of the following thoughts may be scattered, but I figured best to get them down on "paper" and then sort it out later. I must admit, many of these thoughts are restatements of things other people wrote in prior posts.

I think something similar to an incubator would be the way to go. The incubator would have categories, i.e. manufacture, retail, wholesale, service, high-tech. That way, it is possible for everyone to pursue whatever interests them and find others with the same interests.

People could start "projects" under the different categories. If a project garnered enough attention, and enough interest it could become a business or "pod," (I like that since we`re all peas in a pod.) People would get involved in Pods that interest them. At any given time there could be 10 or more different pods going under the SuN umbrella. That would be the overall structure. Now for the business or "pod" structure. 

Each Pod consists of 4 Branches:

Executive
    Operations
    Finance
    Sales/Marketing

Each branch has a forum for discussion & voting. Each branch holds 25% of the equity of the business. Each branch consists of 10 members, with one paid branch moderator voted into position by the members of the branch, essentially these moderators would be the CEO, COO, CFO, and CMO. Therefore, the entire organization consists of 40 voting members of which 5 are paid "moderators" or managers. Each member therefore holds 2.5% of the equity of the organization. The oversight committee consists of the 4 moderators plus 4 other members selected from the entire membership, plus 1 member from outside the organization for a total of 9.

Salaries and bonuses for any paid positions are decided on by the finance branch, and voted on for approval by the oversight committee. No profit-sharing is disbursed unless & until the finance branch says so and it is agreed to by the oversight committee, so that the solvency of the business is not jeopardized by people seeking a quick buck.. Profit-sharing is distributed evenly among all branches.

Seed funding initially comes from the members. Each of the 40 voting members must put up $1000 to be involved in the business and to qualify that they truly are interested in the project and its success, for a startup total investment/valuation of $40,000. Thereafter, the members of the organization may seek additional capital by other means. The organization can seek additional funding from the members or from an outside source upon an affirmative vote of 2/3 of the full membership.

Members may be voted out of the membership by 2/3 vote of the membership at any time, providing that member is reimbursed for at least the amount of their initial investment. Members may also elect to leave the organization. In the event a member elects to leave the organization or is voted out, the organization has the right of first refusal to repurchase the stock. If the organization declines to repurchase the stock, it will be put up for auction among the remaining members.

All matters of the business will be discussed in open forum when possible, with decisions ultimately made by the moderator of the branch (a la representative democracy.)

An annual pod membership fee of $xxx per year or 2% of gross income, whichever is greater goes to SuN or whoever oversees the umbrella program.

That`s my thoughts for now.

• 1 posts
    October 10, 2006 7:14 AM EDT

Hey how about funding my ethanol plant,

we could all watch it grow, on line

4 million needed, 65% return

---
    fhebert8@bellsouth.net

• 24 posts
    April 22, 2008 11:36 AM EDT
    A first-page edit with relevant pages for the "big 5" or something along the lines would be helpful :D

Good luck!

---
    -You may indeed fail before you succeed, but don`t make it a habit.

• 20 posts
    January 6, 2007 3:34 PM EST

There are 58 pages of post and as I got in on the tail end of the conversation, I  did browse through many of the posts and my curiosity has been aroused.  What was the business that was started or has no decison been made?  Now, please, I am new to the forum and I am trying get the feel of the place, so could some one bring me up to speed as consicely as possible? Thanks.

---
    Gail, Better Health Now Exposure+Visitors=Customers Passive Income

• 1 posts
    October 10, 2006 11:06 AM EDT

I been thinking about all the collective knowledge within this community and how can we spread this wisdom about being an entreprenuer to others, especially our children. 

I would like to see us start-up - SUNU - Start Up Nation University.  Develop an entire cirriculum on the art, science, and facts on start-ups.  Provide "certifications" for those who could provide teaching to our schools around the country.  We are only as good if we can deliver our knowledge to students, who for the most part never acquire this education.

Thought, ideas???

• 10 posts
    October 11, 2006 6:50 PM EDT

Wow!  I read through as many posts as I had time for (up to page 7 out of 10) and it sounds like an excellent experiment!  To see how men and women could come together to create one product, seeing that women launch differently from men.  I think it will be fascinating!  I would like to see a charity component added, maybe even a for-profit that uses it`s profits to help those less fortunate.  And I would like to see it have a "Green" component as well.  Green is very HOT right now and I suspect that trend will continue as we ween ourselves off of foreign oil.  I think the charity component will help us avoid the competitiveness and have us competeing to be successful for the good of the charity and not to line our pockets.  If that works, then we would know that we could then create a successful biz to line our pockets! ;o)   Well, I am definitely "Right-brain" so I can contribute to the vision and the visual---don`t expect me to work with numbers!!! LOL

I say we go for it!

B

---
    BReeves
    founder & principal
    http://www.HairConspiracyExtensions.Com

Pursue Your Dreams!

• 10 posts
    October 12, 2006 5:01 PM EDT
    Thank you RossB!!! ;o)

---
    BReeves
    founder & principal
    http://www.HairConspiracyExtensions.Com

Pursue Your Dreams!

• 34 posts
    March 6, 2007 11:26 AM EST

x

Rumpelstiltskin2007-3-9 20:15:56
    • 1 posts
    May 13, 2008 4:10 PM EDT
    I`ll just throw it out there, I am onto a very hot topic and niche category in webcasting, with a great formula to generate revenue without advertising. I have the business plan almost finished, the prospects and PR channels,  the beginnings of a design for the site and a great name...all I need is a joint venture partner that has the web capabilities for hosting broadband, hopefully some capital behind them  (wishful thought, a girl can ask right???). 

Dhana Cohen
    www.thenextbigzing.com   
    • 3 posts
    January 26, 2007 8:08 PM EST
    it a beautiful idea jeff ........ very very beautiful.

---
    Harleen http://www.coloristdesigns.com/ harleenkaur69@yahoo.com

• 3 posts
    January 28, 2007 6:33 PM EST
    yeah sure i would love to be a part of something this great.

---

• 3 posts
    January 29, 2007 7:10 PM EST
    yup sorry i dint quite get the greenbeans concept , anyway i am game to try anything new

---

• 2 posts
    October 29, 2006 6:58 AM EST

"kudos for guts"

it`s a piece of paper needs an eraser.

keep going with your heads up.

---
    legoyurego

• 2 posts
    October 29, 2006 12:45 PM EST
    nunya

---
    legoyurego

• 3 posts
    March 18, 2012 10:25 PM EDT

why not?

---
    for high quality of hermes handbags, please visit: http://www.hermesbagclub.com

• 11 posts
    June 13, 2007 12:22 PM EDT
    Yes this would be a great opportunity.
    • 1 posts
    October 10, 2006 5:05 AM EDT

I am in. Sounds like a good idea. Key is to bring right people/services together.

• 4 posts
    October 12, 2006 7:25 PM EDT

Jeff,

Sounds like a winning idea. I own the domain name Cybermall.com, which I procured in the early days of the Net. The timing of your idea stopped me in my tracks, as it just happens that the Cybermall.com domain name is currently in suspended animation while planning for a new Cybermall.com business has been getting underway. I believe a high level of commitment and talent do exist in this group. Therefore I would entertain scrapping my existing plans for Cybermall.com and throwing the Cybermall.com domain name into the ring for this project. It`s one of the best names on the internet; and this group could probably make it one of the most profitable... Let me know if the startup team would like to use this resource.   

Michael Cheli

ishopbuysell2006-10-13 0:59:53

---
    Independent Candidate for Governor of California Statewide Special Election October 7, 2003

• 4 posts
    October 12, 2006 8:47 PM EDT

Thanks....& Great Pitch!

Michael Cheli

---
    Independent Candidate for Governor of California Statewide Special Election October 7, 2003

• 4 posts
    October 13, 2006 12:20 AM EDT

Craig,

I was reviewing your Craig L Oct 8,06 post regarding the Mall concept and am posting some food for thought for all in the event the SUN team decides it wants to use the Cybermall.com domain name for this project. In order to optimize the best use of the Cybermall.com name, I would recommend that the team consider incorporating the following Independent Business Owner naming strategy into the Cybermall.com domains use. Each IBO`s (Independent Business Owner) would have their own site extensions for their own mall within Cybermall.com so to speak. It would be like having their own domain names; only for this project it would be cleaner as it would allow for all the IBO’s to be a part of one large, more manageable SUN Cybermall.com site/domain. All IBO’s would access their unique pages on Cybermall.com via their own sub names. This allows for their individual page promotion and unique access to the Cybermall.com site. It also assures that each and every individual IBO gets to use the Cybermall.com name as if it were theirs alone. This can be achieved easily by assigning each IBO a standardized sub name for their individual promotional/access purposes. There’s no limit to the # of IBO’s that could be quickly added with this method, as it simplifies and thus speeds up the naming process for each IBO’s site. This would set up a foundation poised for growth, while preserving the integrity of the SUN Cybermall.com brand recognition. It’s the virtual equivalent to a business having a suite # in a business park. The main Cybermall.com page would in a sense be the business park, and could have a directory to access all the individual IBO’s within that business park. Consumers accessing each IBO’s sub address would be exposed to the IBO’s unique content or content/products we provide, while the IBO reaps a % of products sold on their pages. The IBO mall pages could even be standardized in a template format whereas each IBO sets up the pre designed page to create their own content, while each IBO’s pages however have the same predetermined look. Each IBO’s page could even have select targeted advertising land on the perimeters of their pages if we wanted as well as a link back to the main Cybermall.com page featuring the main directory/search engine and more...The aforementioned naming format for each independent business on the SUN Cybermall.com site could look something like this; Cybermall.com/ibo1  Cybermall.com/ibo2  Cybermall.com/ibo3 and so on, IBO being short for Independent Business Owner…. or perhaps we could use the word suite;  Cybermall.com/suite100  Cybermall.com/suite101  Cybermall.com/suite102 and so on. Well that’s about it. I just wanted to mention what I see as a unique naming quality that Cybermall.com possesses in the event of its use in the SUN project.

Michael Cheli

---

• 4 posts
    October 13, 2006 10:23 AM EDT

I agree, it`s exciting that SUN already has a shopping mall in the works, however that shouldn’t impact whatsoever the development of another eCommerce site for this project. It would be like not developing a website because the Internet already has one. The Internet has already become one big Cybermall, and the Cybermall.com name being what it says, and saying what it is, when loaded with SUN original and linked content would allow us to take more advantage of that fact. The SUN name could be co-branded through out the site and would differentiate itself as having the only Cybermall that actually has the address to match. Thus the SUN brand would be thought of at just the mention of an Internet Cybermall. Anyone can drive traffic to their site via pop up ads and search listings. It`s a lot tougher however for tenants of a site, without an easy to remember descriptive name, to create the interest needed to drive the highly desired fresh traffic that’s available through the more traditional forms of media, whether it be from the local bulletin board to the hometown penny shopper. The SUN brand is an already developed and successful brand as a startup resource center, and thus could only benefit from the added branding power of the Cybermall.com name for commerce.  It should be made as easy as possible for those who have a store or do business on the site to drive traffic to their pages. The Cybermall.com name recognition with the sub extension idea I mentioned would do just that, and allow for anyone with minimal explanation to describe what his or her site does. Tenants being able to easily differentiate themselves from among the Internets vast sea of names, increase the likelihood of their procuring more unique visitor traffic to the site. With the incredible growth of eCommerce, the “if you build it, they will come” approach just isn’t enough anymore. On a side note, I used to belong to an organization called “Ideas To Market”, whereas we helped inventors with the patent process and bringing their ideas to market. We discovered that we had people that came aboard to join our group that although they were wonderful people, had the least bit of interest of actually bringing an idea to market, which I always found bazaar. If we truly are a group of entrepreneurs interested in developing a successful business venture to make allot of money, than I think the SUN brand and the Cybermall.com name getting hitched for an eCommerce site would be such a good match, it`s almost poetic. The timing for this new SUN business venture comes at a time when the Cybermall.com resource just happens to be available, which is a rare thing indeed. Just for grins, Cybermall.com was on the mezzanine market worth about 2.5 million and heading public a few years back; just about the time of that little internet hiccup which stalled funding for many startups including Cybermall.com. Otherwise this resource would be in no way available. With the drive and diverse expertise of this group, I believe there’s a chance here for something big, only I would encourage the team to grab the bull by the horns and take advantage of such a valuable resource being placed at it’s disposal. Either way, I’m stoked and ready to contribute to the new SUN business adventure. SUN decision makers, please keep me apprised if the team would like to use the valuable resource I’ve placed on the table for this new SUN entrepreneurial project.

Michael Cheli

ishopbuysell2006-10-13 15:50:0

---