Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startups Created by the StartupNation Community

Could We Create a Business Together?

• 8 posts
    January 24, 2007 12:56 PM EST

Jeff, Very well said. Phantastic idea. Two things though, brain-storming about the potential business (e-comm) and of course, defining the niche services/market. There is a need to protect personal ID as well as prevent personal ID theft. Team work of committed players are most essential.

May I suggest that a team of potential contributors be put together from all works of life whose defined task should include but not limited to identifying the current market trends in th echosen field, say ID protection, contemporary global issues of ID protection, the legal, technological and other forms of ID theft and protection, et al. This team should wriet a report within a Month on the predefined scope. A determination of the methjod of remuneration should be clearly stated; equity and/or cash.

Other ideas? 

• 8 posts
    January 26, 2007 8:57 AM EST

Hello Everyone:
    While I agree with Jeff on the idea front, I am somewhat lost when on the rules guiding the initial phases of research towards implemention of the idea conceived. Did I miss something; MiteyMite, when was this `...team working on structuring and equity division...` created? Also, how are members of the advisory board nomiated/chosen? Could anyone clarify the above. Thanks in advance. I can contribute greatly in both advisory and other capacities. 

• 8 posts
    January 29, 2007 12:05 PM EST
    Agree. Ditto.
    • 8 posts
    January 31, 2007 8:58 AM EST
    Superb, let`s get the ball rolling. Denise, advise how I can contribute to the structure. 
    • 8 posts
    February 6, 2007 7:39 PM EST

Don`t agree that it`s either. Difficult yes, not impossible though.

AMEX555

• 8 posts
    February 24, 2007 8:53 AM EST

Mike, there must be a misunderstanding as you seem to be refer to something different. I would gladly clarify my statement but in a private forum not here. Please send me an e-mail.

Regards,

AMEX555

• 8 posts
    June 9, 2007 12:25 PM EDT

Hello Everyone:
    Been interesting following this thread. I`d like to advise all concern to patiently await the launch of our services soonest. We cannot provide additional details without breaching the NDAs` in place. Be rest assured, that it will be worth the wait:) Thanks for your attention.
    Best,
    AMEX555

• 195 posts
    October 17, 2006 7:26 PM EDT

I have spent a great deal of time absorbing the elements of this thread from beginning to end. Very interesting. exciting, and somewhat frightening.

After seeing the aftermath caused by a figurative bone being tossed into sea of ravenous dogs each gnawing desperately on a much less meaty bone of their own,  I`m taking just a moment to issue a word of caution.

Why are we here?

Me, I`m here to get advice mostly. I came across Startup Nation when I searched online for answers to questions about business plans of my own. It turned out to be an excellent place to find answers. As an added benefit, I`ve drawn from the social aspect that delivers encouragement and sometimes develops a sense of camaraderie along the way-- takes the tedium out of the business process and replaces it with some heart.

Startup Nation works well for this and has been going through constant improvement. As more business minded people join this site it will be more attractive to business serving advertisers, and carry more and more weight as an authortiy behind startup knowledge. Really, an opportunity as a massive business on the rise in it`s own right. 

I would really very much hate to see a group of SuN`s key members, here, openly focus their energy on the complex management of any single particular venture that didn`t bring them here individually in the first place. I see a partition being built in that.

Tossing around business ideas about is what we all love to do and I really believe that we can and should collectively design winning business concepts. I`m pumped up about the idea(s) also.

I also believe that there should be great care taken when it comes to implementation as it affects the current SuN model and ensure that it is an entirely separate entity from SuN and that it doesn`t become THE topic as opposed to a topic.

Let`s not each forget why we came here in the first place.

~Eric

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    If all you do is what you`ve done, then all you`ll get is what you`ve got.
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 18, 2006 7:34 AM EDT

I knew my response would ruffle a few feathers. That`s alright. Don`t forget that I`m onboard with this idea as a rough general concept. It interesting to watch it evolve.

Let me clarify that I DO believe that we should colaborate. I DO like the concept of businesses designed (and aided) by SuN members.

I just don`t want to see Strartup Nation itself become something that it isn`t, i.e. Startup Corporation. Please, for just a moment take a look at what Startup Nation Is about  

Inspiration, Resources, and Community....

Perhaps the startupnation.com model as we know it here could still serve as a portal to connect individuals without their own startups that wish to connect with other individual not working on a particular project of their own. That would be a great additional resource of it`s own.If it is already understood that this venture would be an entity comprised of SuN members but for all practical purposes operating outside the boundries of startupnation.com, then by all means let`s continue.

I really like the idea of teams. (I don`t think it has to be a perfectly round number such as 10) Taking a look at the Prosper.com lending and borrowing system, people can gather as teams/groups to back a project. A system of ownership could be devised where one form of ownership granted through the direct work being done on the project, and another for the always needed monetery contribution. (Anybody have a formula for this? Elids maybe..I believe it was you that came up with some numbers earlier)  

I am a huge advocate of reducing problems to their most simple forms and here is my take:

• Business idea agreed upon and placed in a "circle"
    • Participation investment levels are determined: Active or Passive (physically doing a job or investing cash)
    • Circle exits are established
    • Interested people walk into the circle and pay their "ante"
    • Abilities are gauged. Active positions voted into place.
    • Work is done. (Active positions are held accountable by group)
    • Business launches
    • Profits distribute throughout the circle in predetermined portions to active and passive participants.

I think getting ultra detailed at this point with anything but the business idea itself is counter productive. I`d like to see a consensus on a rough group model first.

Does anybody agree or disagree with this?

~Eric

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 26, 2006 7:12 AM EDT

Mitey Mite living up to the name.  Great post. I love to see somebody cracking the virtual whip. (hmmmm there`s an idea somewhere there all by itself)

MM, I have an idea that could not be pulled off without a collaborative effort from a sizable group. Deciding upon anything less than a huge idea is not thinking big enough for this group.

Unfortunately sharing it here openly would be a terribly wreckless move. What little research I have done on the subject points to the idea being approached only on a limited basis but also points to it having a significant impact..........yeah it could make a lot of money if built properly AND run well. Since you have a fire burning there, I`m going send you a message with a few details just to see what you think. I could be all washed up. This is nothing I want nor is it something I personally need. I just think it`s a darn good idea and too big for any one individual to pull off. Way too big.

You are absolutely right about needing to address a screaming need and leave behind the screaming wants....as you put it.

~Eric

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 26, 2006 12:43 PM EDT

Everybody emails their input to the point man/woman with their argument on why we should decide on that paricular decision.

The point man formulates a poll which includes the what and why for that decision,

All interested parties vote, and the first business is then decided upon.

Outstanding! .....An excellent suggestion. Getting down to business.

I would like to nominate as "point man", the whip cracker...... Mitey Mite. Anybody second that or have another nomination?

~Eric

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 27, 2006 2:18 AM EDT

I agree with frnchps that a Point Leader thread be established for the purpose of lining up candidates and a deadline for their nomination AND alert people interested in this project.

I think that we are far enough along to create a code name for this project. Any suggestions? I was thinking very simple SuN Project #1....

So far I see three nominiations:

Mitey Mite

Kat33

Ideas and Innovations (Mike)

frndchps,   I love your enthusiasm but I believe that the thread title for this task should state exactly what we are trying to accomplish and leave behind any personally identifying text such as MOSAICarnival: Member Venture (not that I don`t support you personally, I just think that it`s important to not cloud what is to be a mostly democratic process with any hint of self promotion even as I am sure that such was not your intention.) Every effort should be made to reinforce the attitude that this is truly a collaborative process.

Coming to mind for a thread title to accomplish this task is a simple:

Point Leader Nomination and Election for SuN Project # 1  Deadline: [date that we all agree on in advance of posting the thread]

Hopefully a title such as this one would accomplish two things,

1. Announce the intention of the thread
    2. Draw interest (People can`t resist deadlines)

All active members of this thread Please post your Opposition or Agreement in regards the above thread title in the following posts. The consensus will establish or deny it. (Should we say a 48 hour majority vote?)

Remember we already have a good number of people that have expressed an interest in this project. Those individuals will need to be identified through previous posts and sent a personal message alerting them to the threads existence.

~Eric

Eric2006-10-27 7:20:38

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 27, 2006 1:33 PM EDT

Duane,

If you run through the pages and pages of this thread you`ll see that the point leader is not "running the team"  This point leader`s primary function is to draw focus and gather information for review by the group.

This is a preliminary position and the only qualifications needed are a strong desire and confidence to handle the task and a willingness and ability to spend their personal time toward the project and take a boat load of email.  

I don`t believe that there is fear of this becoming a pouplarity contest.

The need now is for a simplification of the process. Ideas have been tossed around randomly until now and the point leader position will deliver the order that (as was pointed out earlier) is lost through this linear format.

I hope you agree with this as the time has come to settle on this preliminary position so that the project can become more focused.

Please read the entire thread. It`s a lot of reading but you`ll soon understand why a point leader is the next logical step. 

Thanks for joining the group. We`re glad to have you aboard!

~Eric

Eric2006-10-27 18:34:33

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 27, 2006 2:50 PM EDT

Katt,

So you accept the nomination. I have it from Mitey Mite that their nomination is accepted and Ideas and Innovations (Mike) is nominated for the position also.

Any other nominations can be added by anyone this weekend and all  members of this thread will be informed to cast their vote for Point Leader throughout next week.

Everybody cool with this so far?

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 28, 2006 8:43 PM EDT

Daniel,

Thank you for your earlier comments. Very kind indeed. And a huge thank you for supplying that detailed list of contibutors! It will be used for sure.

Thank you  also for bringing up the mention of the SuN name in the Project Thread. The earlier objections were to the development of a business with SuN as the focus. We are simply using SuN as a meeting place....a starting point. Consider it the equivalent of the group of us all hailing from the same University forming a group to brainstorm a business and calling it the UofI project. SuN is, after all, the force that joined us in this conversation. I think that StartupNation deserves the recognition at least to that point. The business will have it`s own name, but as we cannot name an unknown business, the project of starting the business can still be the SuN Project. Do you agree?  

DeafCeo,

Thank you for taking the time to read this entire thread from the beginning.

Anybody else that has come into this thread at this point and wishes to become a part of this project, I highly suggest that you read this entire thread from the beginning as it appears to be entering the cocoon stage and about to become something entirely different. It will really help you understand how it has led to where it is today.

The latest nominations stand at: 

• Katt33
    • MiteyMite

(Still open for nominations until  9pm Sunday Oct 29. Just type in the following posts ....I nominate [Your Choice Here] for Point Leader.)

IdeasandInnovations (Mike) in an earlier thread has given deferrence to the nomination of Kat33.

The vote for Point Leader will be posted here and run until 9pm next Friday evening. (November 3)

By 10am Monday Oct 30, all members of this thread will be notified to vote, what it is for, and the deadline

The duties of Point Leader are:

• Organizing a standardized method that contributors will use to pitch a brief, summarized business concept that they would like to submit for vote.  
    • Collect and compile concept summaries and post them on a thread for the group to review and comment AND set a date for a vote.
    • Facilitate the vote.
    • When the leading business concept is voted through, the Point Leader will facilitate a vote for the key management positions suited for the leading business concept.
    • When each of the managment postions are assumed, the Point Leader`s duties will be fullfilled. As such is the case, the Point Leader will still be eligible for election to a management position. 

The first order of business for management will be to work together to establish  for a vote by ALL project members, each of the possible systems of ownership.  Each system of ownership will consider methods to receive new project members (investors) and a suitable exit strategy.

This is as detailed as we need to be at this point. If you have a business idea that you are dying to get out, be prepared to put it up for review and a vote by everyone here. The elected Point Leader will accepting your ideas by the end of next week.

Eric2006-10-29 1:45:42

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 29, 2006 5:11 AM EST

Mike! What have you done!!??

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Really I do but you just took a HUGE mistep! We were just about to enter the process of electing a Point Leader to simplify and focus the process. (See previous entries in this thread)  

You have just thrown a massive monkey wrench into an otherwise democratic and orderly process and took it upon yourself to generate threads that right now have no management and no focus....this is the exact problem that needs to be avoided!

You said earlier that Katt33 has your endorsement for Point Leader, but now you have gone off half-cocked and have taken it upon yourself to fire off a slew of thread titles!

You really need to find a way to undo this. Although brimming with energy it is entirely counter productive. 

Up until this maneuver, I believed that we all agreed that we would agree upon the election of a Point Leader which would lead us to the formation and organization that this whole brainstorming session lacks. 

I`m very frustrated right now. You still have the opportunity to be elected for the Point Leader position do you want to be nominated or not?  Please say so.

I know that you were just trying to help but you have circumvented a fair and equitable elective process with your actions!

I hope that you are able to contact a SuN website official very soon to have your Thread titles and subsequent posts retracted so that we can restore order before it`s too late.

Please respond right here ASAP.  The time is 11:00am Sunday Morning.

~Eric

Eric2006-10-29 12:17:36

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 29, 2006 7:41 AM EST

Daniel (frndchps), Creative Gal, Mike, .......everybody!

It is crucial that we think and act in small steps here. Don`t confuse that with moving slowly. Organizing must come first. With that will come a streamlined proces and steady, well thought out progress that includes the input of all interested members.

Keep in mind that Rexxie Dexxie himself said that his software does not fully exist as a usable product. It`s unfinished. It would be great if it did but it doesn`t right now. So as for now, it will be part of the elected managment`s responsibility to establish the best method for communications.

The next step remains an election of Point Leader. Given the circumstances here I will facilitate the first vote. This is not a unilateral move or an effort to circumvent the process. If you are confused right now, read up a page or two or three or more

Daniel, I will talk to Joel and see what can be done, but I can`t do that without Mike`s input. He must be willing to have his title posts with withdrawn.  I am waiting to hear from him.

We cannot rightfully and independently proclaim any combination of Point Leaders. This must remain an elective process, essential to the establishment  of a group effort. The elected Point Leader can always request assistance but in no case should there be a vigilante effort made as it will lead to a chaotic release of unorganized information.

~Eric

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 29, 2006 9:14 AM EST

Mike,

First let me tell you that I have a great deal of respect for your efforts and abilities. I think your desire to establish the title thread posts were a fantastic example of taking initiative. I only think that it was premature as we were heading into an elective process that will lead to an organized effort through a duly elected individual. 

I apologize for the exasperation that came across in my earlier post. I saw a great effort made by you but my frustration arose in that such gathering of information will be best achieved through organization and structure.  Only one thing must be considered at this moment.

1. Who is going to be elected Point Leader.

Soon to follow after that election will a collection of business ideas by the Point Leader. That will lead to another vote and then an organized business with the managment structure for that business. I can see you in one of those management positions. Your contributions continue to have my respect and I wish you nothing but the best. I hope we can continue forward and really make this thing start to hum.

Respectfully,    ~Eric

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 29, 2006 3:25 PM EST

Mike,  Great point. Security is a valid concern. One which should be handled with great care.

Nobody should openly discuss the details of a novel business idea on this forum Especially if they feel it would compromise the business or release confidential and proprietary information.

Anyone with a business concept should establish direct contact (private message or email) with the elected Point Leader and issue a brief conceptual summary of their business idea. The Point Leader will, in turn, prior to release of a concept summary, have the concept provider approve the release. 

All approved concepts will then be released for open review by project members and a reasonable deadline for business concept will be voted on and elections for management positions will follow.

After the management positions are filled, they must consider a secure forum for the exchange of information. Perhaps SuN can facilitate this. It would be nice if we could all stay close to our "home"

Many thanks to those who nominated me earlier for the Point Leader position. If there are no objections to my participation I will accept the nomination.

Voting will continue through the work week until the evening of Friday, November 3.  

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 31, 2006 3:02 AM EST

Mitey Mite has again grabbed the sides of the faces in this forum, looked into our eyes, and said.....F O C U S!  (Why I voted for Mitey)

IdeasandInnovations (Mike) laid down what has become the beginning of a focused effort. He mentioned the Point Man (or Point Leader)

The point is the tip, the top, the start.  All matters of concern- business ideas, security concerns, communication, SuN`s role., and a way to ensure that ALL members of this thread are going to be addressed by the Point Leader.

Remeber that it is not the Point Leader`s job make final decisions on these issues but it is the job of Point Leader to focus and organize all concerns in a manner that allows everyone to contribute and then make everyone aware of all of these concerns in an orderly fashion.

Mike voiced a proposition that has now led to this vote. Now is the time to wait for the Point Leader. Please don`t fear that ideas will be ignored, or security will not be addressed. Considering ALL of the input on this thread up until this point AND all that comes after will be the responsibility of the Point Leader. 

Eric2006-10-31 10:10:24

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    October 31, 2006 3:20 AM EST

Yes Mitey,

Which specific "left turn" are you referring to? I count about sixty something left turns thoughout this entire thread! LOL....do you see the path beginning to straighten or are we still veering wildly? I put on my seatbelt 20 pages back! 

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    November 1, 2006 3:03 AM EST

I am in full agreement with MM. Developing the process must come first.

Everbody has ants in their pants and that`s great! Some have security ants, some have concept and product ants, and some have communication  or participation ants. Some have ALL of the ants and some have none.

Ok this analogy is getting nowhere.... we`re people, not ants! Last time I checked I couldn`t lift 10 times my own weight. *Sigh*  And as far as I can tell, nobody else here can either. Instead, our strength comes in our numbers, our diversity and our willingness to hang in there to see this actually become a business worth our collective while. Daniel (frndchps)eluded to the strength in numbers also. You would be hard-pressed to find in the brick and mortar world a group so willing to devote their free time to a dream.

Mitey, has just asked us to take this time to think about the things that we would like to share with the PL when that time comes. You don`t have to twiddle your thumbs while you wait. 

Take the time now to organize your thoughts into a detailed but compact package that the Point Leader will be able to digest. If you have a product idea or a business idea, polish up your elevator pitch and a detailed summary. If you believe you have the answer to establishing an equitable measure of participation, or the basis for a system of ownership, organize your thoughts and share it with the PL when that time comes. If you just want to be there, ready to help in any way, be it research or logistics, etc., let the PL know that you are available as a resource.  

With all of the input received and organized. Things will start to take shape. It will take time but it will happen.

~Eric

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    November 2, 2006 11:06 AM EST
    Love the 37 signals site Mitey. Somebody has given this some thought! Those are the kind of tools this gang needs.

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    November 9, 2006 4:52 AM EST
    ?

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com

• 195 posts
    November 9, 2006 10:53 AM EST

I like the static heading with project threads beneath. It`s a clean idea. Were all familiar with the format. Putting everything in one room is very important

Jeff has offered a conference call. I`m sure Mitey is on top of that.  

---
    ~Eric
    JE Design Group, LLC
    www.jedesigngroup.com