Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startups Created by the StartupNation Community

Could We Create a Business Together?

• 15 posts
    November 28, 2006 5:25 AM EST
    To give you an idea of how receptive the market is for high quality
    gluten free food, here`s an e-mail I just received tonight. Feedback
    like this makes me happy to be in business producing a product people
    need, want and appreciate.

Steve, I really like your ideas and your presentation of them... but I admit to being puzzled... it sounds to me as though you are proposing to create a business that would be a competitor of yours. Am I missing something? (You`re ready to retire anyway, maybe?)

Steven
    • 15 posts
    November 28, 2006 7:12 AM EST

I`m not about to retire, at least not from the baking business. I`m
    just getting started. Actually this Friday is my last day full-time at
    my day job. Monday is the day I seriously get down to business.
    Everything up till now has been a proof of concept.

Way cool! Okay, gang, virtual launch party for Steve this Friday. Everyone`s responsible for getting their own party-hat, noise-makers, and champagne to celebrate. (we`ll need someone to lead us in a chorus of For He`s A Jolly Good Fellow"....)
    • 15 posts
    December 6, 2006 12:05 PM EST
    From my perspective, I`m driving for an end-result that does not require Jeff`s participation. Either we`ll be able to put together a credible business plan or we won`t. If the plan depends on being "rewarded" by SuN ... tell me now and I`ll pass.

Steven
    • 15 posts
    January 26, 2007 2:12 AM EST
    Jeff, I`m in. The `Tiger Team` project provided an opportunity to think broadly about the opportunities and challenges of crafting a unified storefront behind which independent businesses and professionals provide fee-based services to businesses. This can work.

The world is flat. Let`s navigate accordingly.

Steven
    • 15 posts
    January 26, 2007 12:02 PM EST
    I have no need to wait for their recommendations to commit and proceed. Does anyone else think the same?

I do. I`m confident that if I deliver enough value, I won`t have to worry about being compensated.

Are there two boards being formed? An "Executive Board" and an "Advisory Board"? (Executive = execute / action; Advisory = advise / feedback)

I am willing to serve on either board subject to clarity in terms of commitment level and my own constraints - as is true of everyone, I want to avoid promising more than I can deliver. (been there, done that, trying hard to never do it again)

Steven
    • 9 posts
    November 28, 2006 8:44 AM EST
    I think it`s great idea.. Count me in.. I need someone to work with me and pitch some ideas which would be helpful. Where do I find the SuN Forums?
    • 9 posts
    December 10, 2006 8:23 AM EST
    I have same problem, so I would like to particpate as well, because I will need some advisements and so forth. If you have an answer for that, please post it so I will know what to do next. Thanks
    • 1 posts
    February 24, 2009 9:02 AM EST
    For sure! And I`ve got a product I`ve been sitting on for years I`d like to put forward as a contender.
    • 156 posts
    November 14, 2006 5:35 AM EST
    Hi all,

I decided to join SUN.  I was member of InventNet, where similar idea was conceived and attempted with apparently no success.  Reasons?  It boils down to "What`s in it for me?"

Typically a small group of people who really control the common business reap most of the benefits, so the rest just leave such a collaborative organization.

I`m pessimistic, yes.  But can people remove greed from themselves?  The very idea of a SUN business is to make a profit, isn`t it?  Otherwise people would and could simply give away their time and ideas for free.

---
    Go Green and put more money onto your bottom line with award-winning LED-based light bulbs PearlLED. If you manage a good sized store/business and want to boost the bottom line, call us!

• 156 posts
    November 15, 2006 7:42 AM EST
    Here`s the Korean model of community business:

Members contribute monthly a small sum.  When there`s enough money a drawing is made to determine the lucky recipient of the loan to start his business.  Paybacks from loans (with interest) and voluntary contributions from successful recipients also accrue the community coffer and speed up subsequent funding via loan (that normal banks won`t underwrite).  That funding process and their hardwork are what make Koreans so successful as small businesspeople in the US and elsewhere.

Reality of business is it takes a good idea, drive, business acumen, and funding to make it happen.

Most will claim to have good ideas even if other consider those ideas suck.  SUN can help with business acumen.  Drive is assumed.  Therefore funding seems to be most critical.

Well, in a recent VC fair, a dozen companies paid $10,000 each for 5-minute business plan presentation to the VC.  IMHO that`s a sucker`s deal.

---
    Go Green and put more money onto your bottom line with award-winning LED-based light bulbs PearlLED. If you manage a good sized store/business and want to boost the bottom line, call us!

• 156 posts
    November 17, 2006 6:23 AM EST
    I`m wondering out loud if BARTERING is still applicable in this Internet age of disintermediary.

It seems to me SCALING is essential to a profitable business, e.g. mass production and/or mass merchandizing.   In this regard VCs like software, which needs high initial investment but costs nothing to mass-produce and can be easily distributed.  Likewise mass-production lowers unit cost and enables high volume sales.  In either cases startup cost is high and needs funding.  Then there are service businesses, or personal service businesses, that require lower startup cost but have low sales volume.

Is there a better business model?

Just my2 cents

---

• 1 posts
    November 1, 2006 3:47 PM EST
    After spending many years in the military, its nice to see the Democratic process at work.  As a small business owner, I look forward to learning from this process. If I can be of any help I will be there.....

---
    We Mooove the Snow. We offer udder satisfaction. We won`t Milk you, we know how it feels....   THINK SNOW

• 7 posts
    November 2, 2006 7:27 AM EST
    I`m very much in favor of doing something like this.  I think it would be fun and stimulating.  Each one of us probably has strengths in different areas that could be brought to bear!

---
    DeBorah Beatty The Rainbow Factory, www.tiedye2000.com

• 3 posts
    October 10, 2006 8:42 AM EDT

I, as everyone else who has responded, think it is a GREAT idea! I am a magazine publisher (CameraArts), and will lend a hand and any part of my mind that can be found.

Keep me posted!
    Tim Anderson

• 3 posts
    November 27, 2006 11:34 AM EST

My vote, Denise, would be for the "Tiger Teams," for the simple reason that I, personally, have a dread for brick and mortar, too mnay expenses for setup and maintenance. The Tiger suggestion would be something that could be spread out around the country and utilize SUN people depending on knowledge and geographic availability.

God Job!

• 1 posts
    October 9, 2006 7:07 AM EDT
    This has been tried before. Anybody heard of The Business Experiment? A group of about 800 people joined online to create an online business. Everybody that joined became part owner of the group. It failed. I think one of the biggest reasons for the failure was that out of 800 people, most wern`t pulling their weight. I was one of the 800. I didn`t pull my weight. I, like most people, joined because I was just interested in observing the process. Despite receiving media publicity, The Business Experiment shut down. Too many observers and too few people doing any actual work. I think this type of thing can still work but we would need to learn from the mistakes of The Business Experiment.
    TinoBuntic2006-10-9 12:15:37

---
    Tino Buntic TradePals - Free Sales Leads

• 1 posts
    August 19, 2008 3:39 AM EDT
    Robin, and everyone else interested in making a buck out of the social business opportunities available, check out http://beachange.org.

My company Feelovation is doing the project together with AIESEC in order to create a mass of social business ideas (shared openly) and then go through a process to define at least 3 of them to the level that we can start them in November.

-Tomi

• 21 posts
    January 9, 2008 5:20 PM EST
    I`ll provide the COFFEE ;) at " partnership" price :)

---
    When you turn on your coffee maker: does it return the flavor?

La Cream Coffee: "The ULTIMATE Coffee experiance."

• 21 posts
    January 12, 2008 4:58 AM EST
    Well, I have the coffee roasted......I visualized sending coffee to all the team, agreeing to consume a couple of cups before brainstorming.  somehow like using a virtual meeting ( some one using VISTA would have to be the meeting coordinator.) and conceiving a product or service.  The in another meeting, set goals, ect....I would participate and provide the inspiration fluids.. ( have a super great tea line too)

---
    When you turn on your coffee maker: does it return the flavor?

La Cream Coffee: "The ULTIMATE Coffee experiance."

• 10 posts
    October 12, 2006 6:56 AM EDT

Jeff,

It`s a great idea to start a company with many people and that brings along many skill sets.  Count me in at any time.

Kitykat

• 2 posts
    October 10, 2006 9:46 AM EDT

Hello All, This is my first posting:

Like any good company there needs to be the foundation or vision to see the process through. I think this type of organization would look very much like a Virtual Corporation and Startup Nation has featured info in the past regarding the Virtual Company.

The most important thing would be to designate which idea (not ideas) to base the Virtual Company on, then those members of SUN can then view which parts would relate to them, and whether thier part would warrant equity ownership and at what percentage.

once, the ground rules are laid out and everyone involved has a clear picture of thier duties, then I think this could be a very successfull venture. I think with the great minds of inovation that power SUN, it could not possibly fail, but a solid foundation is key.

Aaron

• 621 posts
    October 6, 2006 6:04 AM EDT
    Most of us are completely involved in our current business venture, but I am sure we can find time to become involved. I have often thought of all the brilliant people out there. I have always wished I could team up with some. Just as many here at SuN, I do not see myself as brilliant, but I know I can contribute. It’s virtually impossible to live life for so many years without being knowledgeable about something! How would management and task regulation work? Will it cost to become a partner or part of the team? It takes money to start a business, and I am willing to placed my money into a good idea and well-planned strategy. Anyway, you can count me in! 

---
    Vincent Wilcox (a.k.a. KRAKR)
    Drummer
    My band: Letters Make Words

• 621 posts
    October 10, 2006 9:27 AM EDT
    I have been following along with the string of comments, but tell me... How do we actually take action and start? What`s the product or service? What job positions are being sought? How will each person`s job task be tracked? All the same things that have been asked since the beginning.

It`s actually quite a difficult undertaking. Of course... if something starts going, count me in. I would love to apply... that is if the tactics are well laid out. No one wants to be part of another failed "experiment."

I don`t know if Jeff and Rich have time to baby sit another project. Who is the ships captain?

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    October 30, 2006 4:53 AM EST
    I keep returning to this thread from time to time... when the part of taking action begins... It seems you are all reaching that point. So, from seeing the pole (and taking) it comes to mind that if we are voting for leaders, we should probably begin talking about how you qualify to become a part of this project.

There are so many successful people here, I hope my experiences will be of a level to be included. One thing`s for sure... I want to participate.

To the cadidates... Good Luck!

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    November 9, 2006 1:54 PM EST
    ElidS situation is too far away to go... how about we could start a mushroom farm. That way as workers for the mushrooms are needed, less skilled SuN family members can work the mushroom farm for say... a year in order to accomplish equity in the SuN Mushroom Farm. What kind of mushrooms sell good? 

---
    Drummer