Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startups Created by the StartupNation Community

Could We Create a Business Together?

• 3 posts
    October 14, 2006 6:53 PM EDT
    Hey, this is great! I would love to be involved in something like this! I`ll contribute in any way I can..

---
    "I don`t get old, I get better..."

• 3 posts
    October 17, 2006 8:41 PM EDT
    I believe this could be a solid concept. There are people looking for information in innumerable areas every day and many need or desire more than what Google can offer.

Just a thought from a newbie  :)

---

• 3 posts
    October 17, 2006 8:43 PM EDT

I love the idea and think that it is possible to make this concept a reality, especially with an organization like Startupnation helping pave the way.  I have been looking for an IDEA like this to invest into and this might just be that opportunity.  A message that I saw in response to this idea that was posted by CraigL gave me the following idea.......so let me try to explain:

Wouldn`t it be great if everytime you needed to know how to do something the Subject Matter Expert (SME) was sitting right next to you to help you personally? What if knowledge from the experts was always current and helped give you the competitive edge you need to be successful in business?  What if that knowledge was available anytime/anywhere 7x24 when and where you need it? 

What if this proposed VIRTUAL company was able to easily capture key "know how" knowledge from any and all Startupnation Community members about any topic, industry, profession, skill set, process, etc and be able to share it with anyone inside or outside the community easily, effectively and efficiently? Basically, having an expert`s knowledge on-demand 7/24 on any topic when and were you need it....just like having the real expert sitting right next to you?

We (Scate Technologies), have a computer software tool that can capture any experts knowledge and share it via the web with millions of others that would benefit from that knowledge or information transfer of knowledge.  This tool called IGNITE uses pictures, voice, text and video to organize the experts knowledge and make it available to anyone/anytime via a standard web browser (no software needed on the PC).  Best of all, this tool was designed so that anyone could be creating content in 20 minutes or less with little or no formal training required.

This product is currently being marketed internationally for $399, but we would be willing to donate 1,000+ complimentary copies (whatever is needed) to Startupnation and the community to make this Virtual company vision a reality.  I (Michael Nunnery) used to volunteer my time with Digital Detroit a few years back and felt strongly about supporting the community and giving back as much as possible.  Donating the tools and business ideas behind creating a Virtual company would be awesome and I would welcome the opportunity to contribute once again.

It would be easy to host a Learning Management System (LMS) a backend system that stores all the courses and content created by any/all community members.  This LMS would allow easy access to content, usage tracking, content searching, content management, built-in security and ecommerce capabilities.  IGNITE could be used as the tool that is given to every community member (subject expert) to create content (full courses or short how to lessons) and post it in a controlled way upto the LMS for viewing.  Some content could be FREE and other Content with greater value could be charged for using the ecommerce capabilities of the LMS.  By charging from some content and advertising, the Virtual Company would have a very simple and low overhead way of generating income.

The other benefit is the community members with the complimentary copy of IGNITE could also use this software to develop training, marketing, application development, educational, process for there START UP business.  Remember that in less than 20 minutes anyone could be using this IGNITE tool to create content.  In addition, with access to WebEX, we would also be able to give all the community members access to FREE training on the INGITE product as well as complimentary access to the Scate Ignite Users group where even more tips and tricks are shared. 

CraigL shared in a recent posting.....Why stop at only creating a single company? Why not form something out of the massive brain trust being organized spontaneously here?

This concept is simple to understand once you see a 15 minute presentation of what the IGNITE product is capable of doing and how fast and easy it is to create any kind of content and share it.  The cost is almost nothing since Scate Technolgies the creator of IGNITE would be providing the software and training over the web for FREE to all community members. I have so much more in concept that I would love to share, but I already have gone on much too long in this posted response.  I would love to her what feedback you all might have and I would welcome the opportunity to contribute to the highest levels possible with Virtual Company concept.

We do weekly FREE webinars that demonstrate the capabilities of IGNITE in about 1/2 hour of your time.  They are held on Tuesday at 10:00am EST and on Thursday at 1:00EST.  You can register for one of these sessions at https://scate.webex.com or if everyone likes this concept I pitched we could set up a special webEX just for community members.  If you register for a webinar when the site loads go to UPcoming Events and then select Registration, then fill out the form.  Make sure you put STARTUPNATION in the "Referred By" field so we know your a Startupnation Community member.  You will then be sent the necessary information via email to access the webEX that you selected.

Everyone that has taken the time to see this tool has been amazed at its power and simplicity. This is a wonderful way to capture the knowledge that exists in Startupnation Community`s "Brain Trust" and share it with others that would benefit from that knowledge.

Basically IGNITE allows you to ORGANIZE, CAPTURE, COMMUNICATE, and SHARE information with others. Please provide any feedback that you might have to mnunnery@scate.com or via this forum. 

Cheers and thanks for allowing me to share......

Mike Nunnery

I believe this could be a solid concept. There are people looking for information in innumerable areas every day and many need or desire more than what Google can offer.

Forgot the quote in my previous post :)

---

• 435 posts
    October 6, 2006 9:28 AM EDT
    Intriguing -

It`s an idea that definately needs to be explored and I`d love to be a part of it...

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."
    ~ Oscar Levant ~

Twitter: @rossb

• 435 posts
    October 10, 2006 10:30 AM EDT
    I don`t know if Jeff and Rich have time to baby sit another project. Who is the ships captain?

This is probably my biggest question as well, there has to be someone who is, in the end, responsible for making the final decisions.  Jeff, is it you or is it someone else?

About consensus...

I can`t say that it doesn`t work because I use to do a lot of work for the HP printer division (HP`s money makers) and they made a lot of product decisions based upon group consensus.  However, it was that process that caused a lot of delays, headaches and major inefficiencies in their product cycles.  As such, I am pretty much against any kind of consensus model.

That`s not to say that a good leader doesn`t get input or that that input is just ignored, all I`m saying is that I believe it is important that there be a clear decision maker...

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    October 10, 2006 2:05 PM EDT
    We already have this voluntary advice interaction, much like networking in the physical world. It leads to the thought of making money, but I wonder if that`s actually possible. There`s fun in providing advice in our free time, without any constraints, rules, or restrictions, on a "feel-like-it" basis. But to start doing it for money puts a very different spin on the whole process.

Aint` that the truth...

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    October 12, 2006 4:29 PM EDT
    "Being Green" is a pretty thought, applied to reasonable and thoughtful people with an eye toward the future. But is isn`t something that should be codified into a business plan, regulated into the business charter, and so forth. Rather, it should be assigned to the intangible aspect of the understood but not-written "corporate culture."

Craig -

Interesting that this just came up as my wife and I were just discussing this whole issue, and it`s no small issue either, with many subtleties that branch in any number of possible directions...

My current "Short" opinion on this is:
    • First, I think that companies should codify it`s position on being "green" in its business plan.  Being written down and acknowledged gives it a much better chance of becoming part of the companies culture.  Otherwise it`s just a "good" idea, "Sorry, we don`t have the time or money to deal with it.  If you (meaning the poor employee who brings it up) want to do something on your own time, feel free but that`s the extent of it..."

• Second, make no mistake, I don`t believe that just because being "green" is a worthwhile and necessary thing for a company to be that it should become the trump card that crushes every other business decision just because it "is".  We still need some sound reasoning and business common sense.
    Let`s face it, we need to not be a society of knee-jerk reactions and really should consider the whole affect that any and all of our choices and decisions will have on society now and into the future. That`s what our nation`s forefathers did...

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    November 4, 2006 7:18 PM EST
    MiteyMite -

An excellent example of why you were elected!

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    November 21, 2006 11:48 AM EST
    [quote=AudioPatents]Jeff/Group,
      Yes, This is why I`m here.  I have just the (patented) products.  My guitar technology can make us all wealthy.  What is the 2nd step? Lets do this. NOW!
    [/quote]

Am I the only one who sees this... oh, how to put this delicately...

I see a lot of people promoting their own products/patents/agendas/ideas – and they may very well be great products/patents/agendas and ideas...  I just don`t get the sense that there are many people who are interested in being a part of this virtual business unless it includes their product/patent/agenda or idea.

It also seems that many (not all) are putting a lot of hope in Jeff and Rich jumping in and making everyone`s dreams come true.  Jeff has definitely committed to helping, but not by driving.  He`s just one more passenger amongst many...

Am I wrong?  I certainly hope so and ask everyone`s forgiveness right now if I am way out of line. 

I`ve been quietly keeping track of all these threads and for some reason today just felt like the day I to bring this up...

Thanks and/or sorry, whichever fits best!

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    November 22, 2006 10:30 AM EST
    [quote=Steve]I have a lot of respect for Ross and I appreciate him speaking his mind. I believe it`s important that we all be honest with each other, especially if we have concerns.

Ross, I think you may be misinterpreting what`s going on. We are nearing the end of the second business idea submission period. We`re supposed to be throwing out new ideas.[/quote]

Steve -

Thanks for another perspective, I can see how I may have misinterpreted things.

At the very least, this is an amazing process to watch!  I`ve really no doubt that it will be successful on some level, there`s just too much talent and enthusiasm here for it not to be!

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    November 28, 2006 7:42 AM EST
    Steve -

That`s totally AWESOME!!!  Congrats!

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 14 posts
    November 21, 2006 8:55 AM EST

I might be way off and if I am please forgive me. I would love for someone to be part of my web site. Or shall I say what my web site represents. The numbers of people in America becoming disabled is increasing. One out of every five Americans are becoming disabled. That is an alarming amount. The age group that is being hit hard are the baby bloomers like myself. Which puts the budget of Social Security Disability in a very scary state. I myself became disabled at the age of 49 when a truck driver fell asleep behind the wheel. In a matter of seconds my life did a 360. degree turn around. SecondHandRoseBoutique is about helping these people put their life back inorder. Going from one income to a fix income can be pretty devastating. What I would like to achieve on my web site that there are other options available. For one creating there own web site to supplement there income or becoming finacially independent. For I feel there is enough room on the internet to be shared by all. So if  anyone like to jump aboard please let me know.

---
    Yours Truly, Rose M. Palinkas, secondhandroseboutique.com

• 14 posts
    November 22, 2006 10:47 AM EST

Hello Jeff,         & amp; nbsp;         & amp; nbsp;         & amp; nbsp;         & amp; nbsp;         & amp; nbsp;         & amp; nbsp;         & amp; nbsp;      Yes that is a wonderful idea. Everyone in this community has their own special gift to contribute. Or else we wouldn`t be here.(those are my feelings) Wouldn`t it be beautiful if we can agree beside`s what business also what charity can used funding. For example: The GAP pledges 50% of there profits for AIDS in Africa. My heart is in American`s with Disabilities. The rate that it is increasing is now one out of every five American`s that is a huge amount of people. The age group that it is specially increasing is in the "Baby Boomers". Besides helping the charity we are also helping the Social Security Budget that maybe it can be around for our children. Just an idea. Jeff, remember my small amount of fame last year when you read my e-mail about goals on the radio. I will never forget that. When nobody is there for support and  a ex-husband that sounds like a parrot, you are never going to be a success, well to you!                                      Yours Truly,                                                                           Rose M. Palinkas                                                              http://secondhandroseboutique.com

SecondHandRose2006-11-22 16:53:18

---
    Yours Truly, Rose M. Palinkas, secondhandroseboutique.com

• 79 posts
    November 4, 2006 5:25 PM EST

How about a university for business? Not just online but a real campus complete with scholarships.

---
    "If you`ve got a frog to swallow, don`t look at it too long. And if you`ve got more than one to swallow, swallow the biggest one first"--Danny Cox

• 79 posts
    November 19, 2006 4:30 AM EST

I like the concept of a University. Seems like most of the other ideas do fit well with that program.

SuNU would provide enough channels for a wide range of talents to participtate on various levels. It also reflects the mission of SuN.

I agree that we need to update profiles. If SuN add extra searchable fields to the profile section it would be easier select/form teams. The first field I would suggest is a simple check box that identifies you as a participating member of the project. From here a "See More" link could take you to a detailed form description...perhaps modeled on a job application? Something that shows your experience and talents.

Great job so far!

rvdebby2006-11-19 10:31:48

---
    "If you`ve got a frog to swallow, don`t look at it too long. And if you`ve got more than one to swallow, swallow the biggest one first"--Danny Cox

• 79 posts
    November 19, 2006 11:00 AM EST

Hate to supply this link because I am giving free advertising to the best target market The Donald could ever hope to find--and he really doesn`t need the handout.

Trump University is a site that sells on-line education and promotes related offsite events at the same time. It too has a variety of people showcased by the website. They also promote product.   http://donaldtrump.trumpuniversity.com/default.asp?item=2104 39

I attended the seminar in Virginia Beach and you could tell that it was all about putting $`s back in the Trump bank account, still I learned a lot and met some great people. I don`t regret shelling out the bucks.

rvdebby2006-11-19 17:16:57

---

• 79 posts
    November 19, 2006 11:40 AM EST

Another site that I found on Google is this one.. http://www.businessknowhow.com/startup/impossible.htm 

Like the presentation   

PS: I have an appointment with SCORE on Tuesday... I am moving foreward--YES!!

rvdebby2006-11-19 17:44:24

---

• 8 posts
    October 9, 2006 10:00 AM EDT

I am in.  I think with this highly skilled group we have the combined skill set to create something great.

---
    Ryan Stemkoski
    Zipline Communicatioins
    www.gozipline.com

• 8 posts
    October 11, 2006 5:26 AM EDT

I like the idea of a consulting firm.  We have quite an array of skills and abilities here at SUN.  What if we were to use those to help other businesses grow and improve?  We could catalog all of our skills.  With each new consulting gig we could put together a team with skills specific to that project.  The members of the team on the project would be compensated for their work on the project.  Everyone could own a portion of the firm but the users who are contributing directly to a project would be compensated accordingly. This would allow everyone to work within there are of expertise while giving the customer a great product.  This business would require us to only do what we do now; work with each other to grow businesses.  It wouldn’t require a massive amount of capital to get off the ground or an enormous infrastructure to create.  Plus if we work on a project to project basis people in the group could turn down a project if they were too busy without affecting the entire company.  I think a company like this would suit this group very well, let me know what you think…..

---
    Ryan Stemkoski
    Zipline Communicatioins
    www.gozipline.com

• 234 posts
    October 5, 2006 11:08 AM EDT
    What do you think????
    I think it`s a great idea (and not just because I`ve been thinking the same thing for a while).

Jeff, we don`t hear from you often, but when we do it`s worth the wait.
    • 234 posts
    October 8, 2006 8:54 AM EDT
    I believe there is incredible potential for many different sorts of virtual enterprises within the SUN community. This is just the first, but being the first, before we get too far I think it would be beneficial to answer some basic questions. These are a few that come to mind. Surely there`ll be more:
    • Is this open to any and all who express an interest?
    • If not what is the criteria for inclusion?
    • What investment would be required?
    • Can equity be earned through investment of time and expertise?
    • How is valuation placed on a particular person`s time and expertise?
    • What happens when an individuals circumstances change and they cannot or do not wish to be activly involved?
    • What is the exit strategy?
    No doubt each person comes to something like this with a unique perspective. Due to the dispersed locations of the participants I expected this business to have an online emphasis. My hope is that it would not be just another "me too" sort of online business.

I`d like to see something that is unique, even revolutionary. Given the depth of talent available, frankly I`d be disappointed with anything less.

• 234 posts
    October 10, 2006 5:52 AM EDT
    One of the best parts of working with entrepreneurs is the enthusiasm that shows up.   Since Nevada is a very  business friendly state,  I would welcome the opportunity to assist with the legal side of this novel venture.

Beverly Salhanick, Esq.
    Beverly,

You bring up an interesting point about business friendly states. Could you address in a separate thread the pros and cons of locating a business entity, especially one that operates exclusively online, in certain states or countries?

Thanks,
    Steve
    • 234 posts
    October 10, 2006 7:59 AM EDT

Happy Tuesday to all!

I have been watching this thread and wracking my brain, but I keep coming around to the same conclusion:

Whatever direction this Virtual Biz might go, it seems a major dilemma to capitalize on all of talents WITHOUT editing the formula that makes SUN , well...SUN.

Money in the mix almost always spoils the batter, and even with the most noble of intentions, the bottom line is that we are all here, in one way or another, to grow our biz and make that money. OBVIOUSLY, we can`t take money out of the equation (DUH), so how to leave the breadbox alone, but add a coin slot? Hmmm...

Will keep thinking!

Jeff, please correct me if I`m wrong, but I believe he intended for this business to be created by members of the SUN community perhaps using the infrastructure of SUN to facilitate its formation and growth. It is not supposed to be a new way to derive additional income from SUN as we know it.

• 234 posts
    October 26, 2006 12:15 PM EDT
    One problem I see with using a linear model (forum) to discuss this is that it`s very easy for ideas, questions and comments to be lost.

Jeff, does SUN have the resources (servers, staff, etc...) to host a wiki?

The wiki model has successfully supported some large dynamic sites (Wikipedia for example) and I believe it would greatly help our collaborative business planning.

I`m thinking it would need to have secure access for those involved and be archived so all changes are recorded along with who changed what, and when?

• 234 posts
    October 29, 2006 9:53 AM EST
    Since he joined the StartupNation community back in April, I have appreciated Eric`s intelligence and sense of humor. I am, however, even more impressed by his recently demonstrated leadership qualities and the rare ability to diplomatically focus the energy of... shall we say... overly exuberant team members.

I nominate Eric,
    A diplomatic leader,
    to be our Point Man