Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startup Funding

Angel Investors for Non-Profits?

• 3 posts
    June 2, 2012 9:37 PM EDT

Have you considered crowd funding? I ask because crowd funding is proving to fill the void at the bottom of the funding ladder, and this is really spelled out in the article iPledg - boldly going where (business) angels fear to tread, or check out this useful site

• 54 posts
    May 29, 2012 10:29 AM EDT

Hi everyone, thanks for your post. At Transpanish we offer exclusive discounts for Non-profit organizations. If you are interested, take a look at http://www.transpanish.biz/en/nonprofit-discounts.html

Best of luck!

---
    Transpanish - Spanish Translations and TransPortuguese - Portuguese Translations.

• 165 posts
    September 11, 2006 2:53 PM EDT

It seems that in all my reading about angel investors, the market for them in the non-profit sector doesn`t exist much. Is this true? Can a start-up non-profit have an angel investor? I ask because I am currently in major start-up phase, but filings, web development, start-up capital in general is limited, and incredibly hard to create until you can file for your 501(c)3 status. I would love to speak to potential angel investors in regards to this endeavor, but have not seen anything that states that this is something they would even be willing to get into since there is no major profit made for them like there would be on a for-profit venture!

Any suggestions?

---
    Leah Tucker

• 926 posts
    September 11, 2006 3:15 PM EDT

Leah,

I understand your challenge.

A 501c(3) cannot have investors because it is not allowed to sell shares in the entity.

However, many Angels, as well as other high net worth people use some portion of their assets to assist charitable activities.

I suggest you begin to build a constituency of people who care about what you are doing and share your desire to see your project become a reality. Once you have some who can and will provide some financial assistance – there are ways to handle the transaction so it will not jeopardize your future non-profit status.

Good luck,

---
    Business Growth Masters, LLC -
    Capital Catalysts for Entrepreneurs
    Home of the Scalable Business Plan and QuikStart Capital Programs
    http://www.bizgrowthmasters.com
    info@bizgrowthmasters.com