Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Grab Bag

• 99 posts
    April 23, 2007 5:45 AM EDT
    For any contractual matters, you should identify the actual names of your business as the signatory, indicating something like "Q, Inc. d/b/a XYZ."  I also assume you have properly registered your d/b/a under a fictitious name registration in your state of incorporation.

You don`t need to use "Q, Inc." in all marketing or advertising materials (like a website), which is the point of a d/b/a.

You may be able to find more information at the sba.gov site.

---

Pepper Law Group, LLC
    21 E. High Street, Suite D
    Somerville, NJ 08876
    informationlaw.com
    Now available on DVD!
    The Legal Considerations of Starting an Online Business

• 6 posts
    June 23, 2009 7:57 PM EDT
    Hi,

I stumbled upon your posting from years ago, and I am just curious what did you decide to do? I am stuck in a similar predicament, so I am in need of a little advice. How do you currently sign your name as CEO of the DBA vs. the Inc.?

Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Stephanie
    • 1 posts
    April 22, 2007 1:14 AM EDT
    My partners and I are just about to launch our business. Our business is incorporated and operating under a dba. What I am extremely confused about is how we are supposed to represent ourselves when operating under a dba. I understand that it is extremely important to always represent yourself as an officer of the corporation when dealing with customers. However how exactly is this done when operating under a dba? For example if the corporation name is Q inc. and I am CEO of Q inc. If I were not operating under a dba I understand I would  sign everything as Sourdoe CEO, Q inc. But if the assumed name of the business is XYZ do I sign my name Sourdoe CEO, XYZ? FOr the most part we are going to represent ourselves as the XYZ management team but when we cannot do this I need to know exactly what titles we are to have.
    Further, our business is online. Do I have to post our corporate name anywhere? i.e. XYZ is a Q inc. company.
    I would rather not because despite the fact that we are incorporated we really are mom and pop, and I don`t want to give our customers the impression that we are big business because the fact that we are not is important to our marketing positioning.

If anyone can answer this question I would REALLY appretiate it! I have been searching forever for the answer to this. Also if anyone can recommend a resource where I can find answers to such detailed questions I would really appreciate it as well!
    Thanks!
    • 8 posts
    January 18, 2012 1:04 AM EST

DBA is an abbreviation for "doing business as." If you're a sole proprietorship, you need a DBA to register your business name. Corporations and LLCs need a DBA if they use a different name than what's filed with the state.