Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Strategies & Tactics for Getting Efficient

Top Steps to Increase Employee Performance

• 355 posts
    July 13, 2011 11:38 AM EDT

Step one is very important.  Many supervisors will mistakenly tell an employee they are doing a good job to avoid conflict.  Then, when the employee gets fired for poor job performance, problems develop.  First, the employee gets upset and could create a scene at work.  Or worse, go postal at work.  The other problem is a legal issue.  The employee can file for his job back if you’ve been giving him good performance reviews and then fire him for poor job performance.

Step two is also important.  I took over a warehouse operation and was told my warehouseman was lazy.  He was never in the warehouse and didn’t get thing done.  I investigated the complaints and found the problem.  My warehouseman was not lazy.  He simply had never been given any directions as to what was expected of him.  The complaints stopped after I laid out a daily routing he was to follow.

---
    The older we get, the more excuses we make for not chasing after our dreams. But truth is, goals are attainable at any age.

• 344 posts
    July 11, 2011 5:52 PM EDT

Employee performance reviews are typically the most dreaded task of managers. The new approach is for transparency and providing an ongoing conversation with employees on how their performance has a direct effect on the organization's overall performance.

Step 1

Give regular, accurate performance reviews. An employee deserves to know how he is doing, including the things that he excels at and the places where he's falling short. You should give performance reviews at least once a year.

Step 2

Ask what she needs to do her job better. In some cases, an employee could be more productive if she had a certain piece of software or even a more comfortable chair. These things may cost you a small amount, but can bring much bigger returns.

Step 3

Focus on employee strengths. Determine the strengths of each of your employees and give each one tasks that fit his particular skill set. If he has to spend too much time learning how to do something, it will decrease his productivity.

Step 4

Get together socially with all departments. This could be something as simple as cookies or bagels in the breakroom or a special event party. As employees bond on a more personal level, they feel a larger sense of responsibility on a professional level as well. When the employee understands her place as a part of a whole, she can work more effectively.

Step 5

Open up the lines of communication with your employees. Your employees should feel free to talk to you about concerns or what's holding them back. Hopefully, they feel comfortable enough to talk to you in person, but you may want to start a suggestion box to allow employees to make anonymous suggestions as well.

The manager must be visible and accessible for every employee if they want to increase the performance of the employees. Managers need to put themselves out there and help employees if they are struggling. A little involvement by the manager can quickly turn around  an employee when they are having some difficulty performing and meeting objectives. The role of the manager and their relationship with their employees has significant influence on increasing employee performance. Work performance can improve, but it will not happen on its own, increased work performance needs the support of leadership to guide their employees and help them excel and increase their work performance.

---

Global buy sell B2B trade marketplace