Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Building a Website that Works

Common Web Design Mistakes

• 27 posts
    March 6, 2013 6:00 PM EST

This is really good information shared on this post regarding common web design mistakes that are really useful for so many peoples. Website is a most important part of business so make it effective and attractive. Before web design avoid the mistakes described on this post that might be very effective for your website.

---
    Promising Services From indian web developers | website design company in india

• 86 posts
    February 15, 2012 3:09 AM EST

Pop Up Windows are one huge mistake. This is a major mistake made by some developers where they open an entire website into a pop up window. Users are comfortable with browsing your site in their browser not a pop up window. Don't over complicate your site and confuse your user.

---
    Build A Site For 3 Bucks - Build A Site

• 3 posts
    February 1, 2013 10:02 PM EST

yes and here also some common mistakes in web designing that is such as content and Prevent complex Web style.

---
    Web Design Glasgow

• 731 posts
    October 18, 2011 8:00 PM EDT

BYTRADE... 

Honestly, all of the 12 issues you posted are so true... But you know what the biggest issues are:

1. The coder, did not code the wed site (semantically).

2. Forgetting to use the appropriate tags or not knowing how to use them. 

If a web developer doesn't know how to use appropriate html tags, then most-likely he doesn't have any layout of typography experience... 

---
    Edgar Monroy
    Web Developer / Owner / Consultant
    When starting your own business the need to "know-how" is greater than money!
    http://www.nuevolution.net

• 344 posts
    October 10, 2011 10:08 PM EDT

1. Lack of Focus
    Too many web sites leave visitors wondering what the site is about. Be sure your home page explicitly conveys what you do and the value you offer, and entices them to explore other pages for additional information.

2. Text-heavy Pages
    Actually, lots of text is OK, just don't use lengthy paragraphs with no visual breaks. Reading online is much different than print. Use the following to break-up blocks of text: shorter, more focused paragraphs; headlines and subheads; bullets and numbers; a few well-placed photos or graphics; and appropriate white space.

3. Legibility Issues
    Dark fonts on dark backgrounds, light fonts on light backgrounds, and tiny fonts that strain the eye are obviously poor choices. Use common sense.

4. "Noise" and Clutter
    Even if you have a great site, if your visitors are forced to wade through long blocks of copy, promotional offers, animation, sales pitches, and worthless dribble, you'll quickly confuse them and drive them away.

. Blatant Advertising
    While we all hope to use our web site to move prospects along in the sales process, in-your-face advertising isn't the answer. Information, solutions and value will do the job more effectively. And while pop-up ads are widely used and acceptable, full screen pop-ups that are difficult to close infuriate everyone.

6. Navigation Issues
    A clearly obvious navigational panel makes sense doesn't it? But common sense isn't always common practice. How easily can a newcomer navigate your site?

7. Inappropriate Graphics and Photos
    Photos and graphics can visually enhance the appearance of your site as well as support and substantiate your copy. But don't use load-intensive graphics or photos of your corporate office which are relevant to no one.

8. Outdated Information
    Nothing screams "unprofessional" any louder than outdated information.

9. Too Many Clicks Needed
    We're all impatient and in a hurry. Our online waiting threshold is much less than off-line. If more than a few clicks are required to get to a page, you'll lose a prospect every time.

10. Lack of Contact Information
    This also seems obvious, but I have searched numerous web sites for contact phone numbers - and I am amazed how many times I was unable to find one. Just because a web site is online doesn't mean a prospect only wants to contact you online.

11. Form Frustration
    The large majority of online forms are too lengthy. Get rid of questions/fields that simply are not needed. And don't identify one as mandatory if it really isn't.

12. No Privacy Policy
    In the age of rampant spam, we all want to be certain we are offering our e-mail address to someone who will protect it carefully. If you ask for an e-mail address on one of your forms, let your prospects know that you will not sell or distribute their address to anyone

---

Global buy sell B2B trade marketplace

• 39 posts
    January 6, 2013 11:24 PM EST

I think you cover all the important point related mistake by the professional website designers, You done such a nice and great job. I really appreciate to read whole content it is really very useful.

---
    Best PSD To Joomla template

• 39 posts
    February 24, 2013 8:44 PM EST

Some time the web designer are making some little mistake but from that mistake the visitor might get confused to use website. Like as to provide information that describes your Web site, changing URL's for each pages, display thumbnails that are too small to be helpful to user, don't add background music in our website, etc. These are mistake which we don't have to do while design website.

---

• 39 posts
    February 24, 2013 8:48 PM EST

Some time the web designer are making some little mistake but from that mistake the visitor might get confused to use website. Like as to provide information that describes your Web site, changing URL's for each pages, display thumbnails that are too small to be helpful to user, don't add background music in our website, etc. These are mistake which we don't have to do while design website.

---

• 4 posts
    January 7, 2013 6:37 AM EST

I believe the number 1 issue with web design these days is designing and coding for search engines rather than humans.  The majority of business owners are so concerned with exposure and not their customer's experience that has become a major issue.  I believe in creative, simplistic and easy to read websites rather than over complicated designs with too much "marketing material"

---
    Small Business Web Design

• 37 posts
    February 15, 2013 10:36 PM EST

Thanx a lot for such good information!!

Regards!!

---
    Wordpress Development Company | Wordpress Development Service

• 9 posts
    February 13, 2012 7:17 PM EST

Page length is also big issue so always avoid scrolling down a page for reading entire text so Designer should prefer Flat design

---
    APG Trade Show Displays

• 41 posts
    February 21, 2013 12:53 AM EST

Here I suggest you some mistakes commonly done by Web Designers

Postion of Search Box ?

Poor Readability & Legibility

Unorganized Content Layout

Bad Navigation

Inconsistent Interface Design

Unfriendly Screen Resolution

Complicated Registration Forms

Unscrupulous Use Of Images/Animations

Cluttered Pages, More Whitespace

Test, Test And Test

• 3 posts
    March 2, 2013 12:34 AM EST

For my website I used a wordpress modernize theme and have been extremely happy with the readability and layout.

---
    The Law Office of Ryan David 116 West 23rd Street, 5th Floor New York, NY 10011 http://www.lawbydavid.com

• 42 posts
    October 18, 2011 7:53 PM EDT

Common web design mistakes are as bellow :

1. Poor layouts of the website.

2. Give too many advertisements on the website.

3. Unreadable font of the website.

4. Same color of the background and also of the text.

5. Too many uses of the Flash.

• 4 posts
    January 7, 2013 7:54 PM EST

Hi BYTRADE,

Truly you have posted a fine list of website design mistakes.

But the most important issue is lack of information, most of businessmen don't have any plan for their website design and development so, the designers and developers take advantage of it and provide unprofessional stuff for their websites.

I think if you make a solid plan and then search for designers might be the solution to avoid these mistakes while designing a business website.

---
    Web Design Philadelphia a trusted web design and development source.