Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

I need help from my creative friends!

• 270 posts
    June 2, 2007 7:18 AM EDT

I believe what you are saying about this but I am not sure if part of this is the fact that your web site holds women’s attention longer than men.  The longer you hold someone’s attention the better the chance you have of selling them product. 

I think this could be easily adjusted.  Men tend to like pictures.  Being a male that reads and writes all the time, saying this hurts but it is true.  Just look at any male orientated magazines.  Your pictures on you home page should really show your charms in the meat.  I spent several minutes trying to see them in action and never found it.    Even better, a before and after picture in your animated graphic would really help us males get the message quick.  Sex also sells.  Show the grill guy with some girls in bathing suits like at a pool party with all of them showing their approval of the grill job using your Grill Charms.

I think things like this could broaden your market.  It doesn’t have to be distasteful just appealing to everyone’s hot buttons.

bert2007-6-2 12:20:41

---
    Bert at Harvey Software, Inc.
    Multi-Carrier Shipping Software and Supply Chain Solutions for Internet Retailers

Also a provider of free shipping information and resources at Harvey Software`s Parcel Shipping Blog along with free tracking solutions at TrackingPage.com...

• 270 posts
    June 3, 2007 1:53 PM EDT
    I was at William Sonoma today to buy my wife`s birthday gift.  While I was there I asked to see the Grill Charms.  I figured that I would infect them while I was there... 

---
    Bert at Harvey Software, Inc.
    Multi-Carrier Shipping Software and Supply Chain Solutions for Internet Retailers

Also a provider of free shipping information and resources at Harvey Software`s Parcel Shipping Blog along with free tracking solutions at TrackingPage.com...

• 3 posts
    August 5, 2007 3:36 PM EDT

I work for a Family owned Labeling company, We do all kinds of pressure sensitive labeling. We have 3 Flexo-graphic presses and do all kinds of 4 color process work. We have an in house graphic design department and can help you with anything you many need in the labeling world. We have an inventory of over 3,000 die sizes and work with many companies on the east cost with there labeling. Medical labels, Food Labels, Barcodes, 1/2 Printed labels, Thermal transfer machines, 4 Color process Printers and thermal transfer ribbon. Blank Labels and shipping labels.

We work with compaines such as Datamax and Zebra and use software programs like Labelview and Bartender and many others.

If you need a quote on a Blank label or a current label or need to logo your company with a label contact me my name is David Prince and I can be reached at 845-416-4815 again we are family owned and have been in business for 48 years.  

If you have a product that you are trying to sell to stores or something I can help you with just let me know, I have tons of Food store contacts on the east cost and can put you in touch wiht the right people.

Thanks

David Prince

Glenroylabels.com

• 101 posts
    June 1, 2007 3:59 AM EDT

Leslie, you hit the challenge to package design exactly on the head.  You have a matter of seconds to grab their attention AND quickly communicate the features and benefits of your product to the consumer.

That`s why I would NOT use any lenghty sentence, paragraph or anything that requires them to stop and read on the package anywhere (front or back).

We always use features and benefits in bullet form.  QUICK AND EASY TO READ.

v     Grill Charms personalize your food… just the way you like it!

v     Helps to eliminate concerns of allergic reactions from cooking

v     Stainless steel material will provide years of Charm

v     Fun to dress up your table for your guests

Place the most important features first and work down accordingly.

And you can make the bullets themselves the designs of your charmers.

That`s my nickels worth.  Just food (charmed) for thought!

drvag2007-6-1 9:44:5
    • 101 posts
    June 1, 2007 4:11 AM EDT

Forgot to add.  Pictures are OK.

But, I would NOT associate my product with another product/company. 

The consumer may have bought wine charmers in the past and realized that they didn`t really use them.  So that`s what they`ll think about yours.  Not needed.

What if suddenly bad press about wine charmers or its company?  Now you are associated with that bad press too.

Your building goodwill in your brand.  Don`t take the risk by associating it with anyone else.

OK, that`s two more cents

• 101 posts
    June 2, 2007 4:05 AM EDT

Today`s world... people don`t have time!

As a single parent, I always tell my boys, "In and out quickly".  Show me quickly why I should buy.  But that`s just me.  I hate to shop.

Little more food (charmed) for thought.  Which demographic, men or women, are you really targeting?  Aren`t men known to be the grillers?  So are they buying their own tools also?  Probably the woman, but had to raise the question.

drvag2007-6-2 9:15:59
    • 101 posts
    June 2, 2007 3:07 PM EDT

Initially men find Grill Charms unneccessary and kinda silly until they use them, then realize just how cool they are and how many options they have. 

Leslie, just another stupid annoying question.  But... If I were paying YOU to do the graphic design for the packaging of MY Grill Charms, would this data concern you?

Just because men find them silly, doesn`t mean they aren`t your target audience.  So, how do you design your packaging to overcome this?

This is the 2007`s.  Men shop.  Keep it simple and tell us quickly what it is and why we should buy.

That`s three more cents.  Hope it helps.

• 101 posts
    June 3, 2007 4:02 AM EDT

No argument.  Always target your ad, packaging, or whatever to the person buying.  But not sure what you are agreeing the other way to.

Even still, man or woman.  It`s a marketing fact...people today are in a hurry.  Will they (man or woman) really stop and want to read a paragraph about an item that costs less than say two movie rentals at blockbuster?

Leslie, only an example of price comparision.  I do not know your pricepoint, and I am not implying your product has little value.

Charmed...not mistaken.

drvag2007-6-3 10:44:26
    • 101 posts
    June 3, 2007 12:12 PM EDT

Here`s a great example of gender-based advertising, stereotypes, and so forth. I think it`s best to develop a copywriting strategy where "human beans" are the target market.

These days, lots of men shop, women have no idea what`s a kitchen, and the family dog runs the household. Sell the product, and let each individual customer decide if they want to buy it.

No offense, but I have no ideal what you are saying. 

If you look back in my posts, there is not one that is gender based or sterotypical.  Only observations.

Fact...  Today is a different world of shoppers.  They`re hurried.  Both MEN and WOMEN.  So, my advice only, keep your package clean, quick and easy to read.  Boil down the essence of your message.

• 101 posts
    June 4, 2007 2:25 AM EDT

Leslie, you hit the challenge to package design exactly on the head.  You have a matter of seconds to grab their attention AND quickly communicate the features and benefits of your product to the consumer.

That`s why I would NOT use any lenghty sentence, paragraph or anything that requires them to stop and read on the package anywhere (front or back).

We always use features and benefits in bullet form.  QUICK AND EASY TO READ.

Craigl, my very first post on this topic, was my argument against lengthy wordy sentences explaining why I should buy this product.   I know you agree that today it`s a fact, PEOPLE are to hurried to shop.  Both men and women.  That`s not gender marketing.

I only rasied the question to Leslie if her buyer was a man, since they usually do the grilling.  But I also said that it probably was the woman.  Only to raise the discussion that men don`t read packages.  We all know men refuse to even read instructions.

My entire argument here has been that "Packaging should comminucate the features and benefits, quickly!"

Thanks for the debate!

• 101 posts
    June 4, 2007 12:07 PM EDT

I like the ideal of 4 color art on backing card with clear plastic for peg hook. I had not thought about it before, but how big (or small) will the package be?  The amount of "real estate" you have to print on has to be small.

drvag2007-6-5 7:17:58
    • 148 posts
    August 6, 2007 5:11 PM EDT

Hey Leslie,

Personally, I prefer to see bullets on packaging.  Nice and easy to read works best for me.

With that said, I really love Mary Kay`s suggestion!

I understood everything she wrote! Good Job Mary Kay!

Jeannie

• 8 posts
    June 4, 2007 4:49 AM EDT
    my vote, keep it simple.  bullets please
    • 376 posts
    May 30, 2007 9:20 AM EDT

Okay guys, I got the first draft of the graphics for my packaging back and I need some help.  I love it and everything is coming along and coming together nicely but as usual, I need my village!!  HELP!  Okay, the front is basically a "window" to see the Charms, along with my logo and tag line.  It is interesting enough for the JohnQ consumer to pause a nanosecond and actually pick up the package.  Now that they have it in their hands thinking... "this is kinda cool and different" the next thing they will do is turn it over.  This is were I (will) have a photo of the Charms in use, and there is enough space for about 50 words of explaination.  Not much when trying to explain a completely new product... This is what I have....  Revise away!!! 

"Grill Charms™ are the grilling equivalent to the popular wine charm.  Grill Charm™ your food prior to cooking to indicate steak temperature, food seasonings / spice or to address health or allergy concerns.  Your food is personalized before, during and after it’s cooked, the way you want it each and every time!"

I know some of you don`t like the "wine charm" reference, but it really really is that exact concept.  I`m having a hard time getting the idea across w/o using that reference.

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Charmed Life Products LLC
    Grill Charms™… The MUST HAVE grilling accessory that is revolutionizing the American Cook-out AND The perfect gift for any occasion!
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    May 30, 2007 11:30 AM EDT
    Ahhh yes... name tag or label, very similar.   When you`re so involved with something it`s hard to step outside the box sometimes.   I have been "stuck" on the wine charm thing.  Label or tag... yes, yes Nik and Steve... I can get behind that.  That`s why I come here!  I know I can count on my friends who are outside the box to show me the way.  I can`t wait to see what Craig will come up with.  Waiting........

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms™… The MUST HAVE grilling accessory that is revolutionizing the American Cook-out AND The perfect gift for any occasion!
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    May 31, 2007 4:04 AM EDT
    Thanks Craig!!!!  Always an inspiration 

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    June 1, 2007 10:51 AM EDT

Oooooo.... great point drvag...  Didn`t think about that!  Love the 2cents! 

The bullet points are on the side, I was just afraid that if I put them on the back, people still would not "get it".  I`m not sure if my product can be explained in bullet points can it?  I`m a very wordy person and I think that EVERYTHING needs a narrative (which is why I think Craig and I were related in a former life) so I`m not a very good judge of this kind of thing.  Does anyone else think the bullets should go on the back?  (Knowing this is the first and maybe the last place people will look when they pick up the box?)

The side w/ the bullet points looks like this...

"Charm your food prior to cooking to distinguish spices and flavors, steak temperatures or to avoid health and allergy issues.

* Serrated to stay in securely while flipping and moving

* Made of high quality, heat conducting stainless steel

* Food cooks evenly around the Charm

* No fuss clean up, just throw in dishwasher basket

* Works with chicken, steak, fish, vegetables and more"

Should those be revised?  Should they be moved to the back?  Wow.... so much pressure for a little box!!!

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    June 2, 2007 6:16 AM EDT

In doing my market research I confirmed what I had suspected and that is my target market is primarily women.  Men LOVE the product when they get to usin it, but it is the WOMEN that will actually buy this.  Women will buy this as gifts for the husbands, boyfriends, brothers, uncles, bosses, you name it.  So yes, grilling is a male dominated sport BUT women will be my target customer.  Initially men find Grill Charms unneccessary and kinda silly until they use them, then realize just how cool they are and how many options they have. 

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    June 2, 2007 11:54 AM EDT

Bert, you are `100% correct about the photos.  The website is just a starter/work in progress  I don`t have my productions samples from my OEM yet, so my product photo shoot is still months away (as well as my launch).  I`m still on the path to bringing an idea to market, with lots of steps to get there still.  (And my SuN friends have helped me all along the way)  When you all see Grill Charms at your local William Sonoma you can all say "I talked that gal through this!"  Anyway, yes, the website will be revamped with lots of in use and product photos.  Right now I`m working on the packaging.  (So many hats, so little time!)  Until I have my photo shoots completed that is kinda on a back burner for now.  The wording and look of the packaging has my attention this week.

Craig, you know the deal... 

GrillCharmer2007-6-2 16:55:33

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    June 3, 2007 10:26 AM EDT

Very Very good debate...  This is great stuff!!!  All in favor of Bullet`s ???  All in favor of 50 word narrative??

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    June 4, 2007 9:43 AM EDT

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!   Such FANTASTIC input and insight!  Bert....  You`re the best!!!  Thanks for the hype w/ the W.S. people! 

Hey Janie!  You pick you`re Charm.  Just like Monopoly... "I call the Race Car!"  or if it`s a BIG party the chef can say "The sports collection is HOT, the Fishing Collection is Teriyaki, and the Pink Collection is mild"  So many ways to play

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    June 6, 2007 2:37 AM EDT

Wow Mary Kay THANKS!  That is AWESOME!  That is a little bit of both.  I think that`s the one I`m going to use!  YEAH!!!

The packaging right now is not a hang tag type of thing.  I know eventually it will need to be, but it`s more of a...  Okay, later today I`m going me and my technologically inept self are going to try to upload photos of the packaging into the gallery so you can see what I`m doing...  I`ll be back later!

GrillCharmer2007-6-6 7:37:41

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    June 6, 2007 2:54 PM EDT
    MaryKay, that`s exactly what it`s like.  I actually figured out a way to put it in my gallery!  (take a look at my profile if you`re interested)  It will either be in a basket type thing like you said or it stands very nicely on it`s side w/ the "window" facing forward so you can see the charms.

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    June 6, 2007 2:56 PM EDT
    Oh... disregard the graphics on the one in the gallery.  That was just a prototype before ANY graphics were really done.  I just wanted you guys to get the look of the physical aspects of the box itself.

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    August 5, 2007 4:14 PM EDT
    Thank you David!

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Grill Charms