Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Developing Your Invention

How do I start my own stationery line?

• 990 posts
    March 14, 2009 4:25 AM EDT
    you should work with an attorney to protect your creative expressions - there is probably also a trademark to register.

---
    James Lindon, Ph.D. Patent Attorney
    Lindon & Lindon, LLC
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Pharmacy Law, Litigation
    [this is not legal advice - provided for discussion only]
    Intellectual Property for the Individual and Small Business: Identify, Protect, Enforce, Defend.
    "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
    http://www.LindonLaw.com

• 2 posts
    March 12, 2009 11:06 AM EDT
    I am a graphic designer and new mom and am interested in starting my own line of stationery (to be sold in stores or perhaps online).  I know how to design, but I have no clue where to go from there.  Do I print the cards first and then hope they sell or do I wait until an order is placed?  How do I find a rep?  Etc. etc.  At this point, I`m looking to talk with someone who has done this before to see if this is really the venture I want to pursue.  I guess I`m trying to find out what this dream of mine would really entail.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
    • 2 posts
    March 13, 2009 7:13 AM EDT
    Yes, I`m looking into this option too.  Just starting to research the companies that work with outside designers.  Thanks for the help.
    • 355 posts
    March 13, 2009 7:00 AM EDT
    Have you thought of partnering with Hallmark or similar company?  You do the graphics and they print the cards.
    nevadascul3/13/2009 12:57 PM

---
    The older we get, the more excuses we make for not chasing after our dreams. But truth is, goals are attainable at any age.

• 24 posts
    January 5, 2012 6:16 PM EST

Designing your own stuff is great as you will have unique products. But that will mean sourcing all kinds of raw material and then printing it and marketing your stationary.

It would not be a bad idea to source products from a vendor or a OEM. That way you can cut costs upfront.

Johan

LegalCraft

• 54 posts
    August 23, 2011 3:49 PM EDT

Showcase your designs firsts. Expose your product to the public. If they are interested then they ask for your services. 

---
    physical therapy chattanooga

• 2 posts
    October 8, 2012 8:17 AM EDT

Check out Etsy.com.  Stationery businesses do well on this site. At this time it's been three years, but this may still help.

Nicole Annette

www.journaljunky.etsy.com

---
    Nicole Annette/ Journal Junky®/ www.ILoveJournals.com/ Write it Down. Get it Done!

• 2 posts
    November 18, 2012 10:53 PM EST

Whatever business you are planning to start, whether it is of office stationery or selling laptops, make sure that you have researched thoroughly and planned well.

---
    Discount Office Supplies

• 59 posts
    November 8, 2012 12:57 AM EST

The basics in starting a business is to look for the competition in the market that your product is going to face so that you find some innovative way to make it look the best choice for the customers looking for it. More importantly when consulting an agency with your idea you must have a background check on how this agency deals with clients. Apart from that all things can go smooth and easy if you find a reliable partner who has knowledge about stuff that you are new to.

---
    Mobile Yard Ramps | Portable Yard Ramps

• 3 posts
    March 13, 2009 6:31 AM EDT

Hi there,

Stationery is very competitive field where folks who do well are usually those who are able to distinguish their product with a high degree of personalization.  The forum for your business that will cost you the least to set up and probably have the most significant return will the web.  A well put together website promoting your art work and unique designs is a must.  At the outset you may want to have e-commerce on your site or to save money, you may want to start out with just a display and showcase of your work with orders placed over the phone. 

Other things to research are incorporations, contact business associations for your industry, business loans and financing and a well though out business plan.  Take advantage of this excellent forum and our website that gives you tons of free information..

Good luck. 

---
    Vivek L Business Plans, Business Loans, Credit Report and Credit Score Analysis, Business Credit, Free Bank Lists & Foundation Grant Directory

• 4 posts
    December 20, 2011 1:48 AM EST

I think so you should start first planning of your Business.and then collect your material details with Pricing and other stuff.

And at last you can design your card.And Promotion of it.