Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Marketing

Dress in a costume for advertising?

• 22 posts
    September 29, 2007 10:10 AM EDT

To tell the truth, the first thing I think when I see the mascot standing on the street trying to drum up business, is how sorry I feel for the poor sap trying to make a living wearing a costume for minimum wage.

This approach appears too "gimicky" for my tastes.

There`s a difference between "Ron the Don" making an appearance at a birthday party for 8 year olds in the restaurant, and a giant crab flailing away on a street corner.

It seems degrading to me, but that`s just my opinion.

---
    ~Dave~
    Industrial Clean Air

• 1 posts
    October 22, 2009 5:56 PM EDT

HI

I LIKE VERIOUS COSTUMES

[url=http://fastmoneytree.com/index.php?referral=1]make money[/url]

• 741 posts
    September 29, 2007 4:26 PM EDT

I still wouldn`t go there. Or to Little Caesars pizza, who hires some really creepy guys to stand on the corner that I have to get past with my stroller.

Ahhhh...Nikole. You`re missing out on some great pizza!

Dale King

---
    If you`re tired of all the money-making
    hype, lies and scams...read this!
    Click here for more details!

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2009 11:36 AM EDT

If you have foot traffic how about you have someone dressed in a chef's uniform standing outside your place with some samples for people to try & perhaps small menu's to give out too? 

• 55 posts
    September 29, 2007 8:59 AM EDT

If I owned a restaurant do you think it would be a good idea to hire someone to stand outside my restaurant that will be dressed up in a funny costume holding a sign advertising my lunch special? I think it might draw attention. What do you think?

• 65 posts
    September 29, 2007 9:52 AM EDT
    It`s a sticky factor, Nhgnikole.  You now know, that the guy dressed as the Statue of Liberty is the "tax" place. 

You don`t have to go there to get your taxes done BUT---it`s created brand awareness and later on they will establish brand recognition.

PRODIGY (sorry for the caps),  if your are to use the guy with a funny costume-make sure that you will  be consistent with the "character."  If you are a seafood place (for example) and choose to do a lobster or a crab mascot-give him a name that recognizes your restaurant.

This will be an association of a character to the business or product.  Kinda like
    Tony the Tiger or Chester Cheetah or best of all Ronald McDonald.

I hope this makes sense.  Good luck if you choose to continue the strategy.

LT
    Ltressel2007-9-29 14:57:30

---
    http://www.face2facevideocard.com
    "videos can say it like it is"
    09-21-2007

www.senatinproperties.com
    real estate investments

• 621 posts
    September 29, 2007 5:44 PM EDT

LOL Nikole....i can just picture that guy with the 5.00 sign in your way on the sidewalk. Little Ceasars, my husband likes those 5.00 pizzas! We have a Liberty Tax Statue of Liberty Mascot that runs out on one of our main roads..i do always think.."what is she thinking", "this can`t be fun". Then we have the car wash fundraisers with those poor 12-14 year old girls in bikini tops.....where are there parents? Anyway, it works inside for Chucky Cheese...at a buffet we are dragged to by my husbands parents they have "buzzy bee" and he is creepy and hiscostume needs to be dry cleaned desperately, it looks like it has the buffet all over it..YUCK! I personally try to run from these folks...maybe I am afraid of folks hiding behind a costume?? It works for Disney...so maybe it can work for you..but don`t get in front of a woman with a stroller.

Erin

---
    Our Goal Is Your Success!
    Founder Girls with Goals

• 621 posts
    September 30, 2007 5:06 AM EDT

They now have that advertising company called "Arrow Advertising" and they dance around the streets pointing, juggling, throwing or dancing around with an large arrow with your company name on it. I guess it works , maybe they took the arrow idea from the Britts...much like we do with tv shows.

Erin

---
    Our Goal Is Your Success!
    Founder Girls with Goals

• December 13, 2013 6:52 AM EST

Over here in the UK, the costumes thing is everywhere. If you go out to a mid-priced restaurant its usually fullof younger folk wearing costumes on a theme.
    Mainly women having a good time celerbating a hen night.
    Sometimes on the street outside, they head towards you with a collecting can.

I usually pay up.

They get kitted out locally at http://www.celebrationcostumes.com

• 148 posts
    March 21, 2014 10:22 AM EDT

Hey guys,

we are Fabian and Ivan from Hamburg, Germany and try to realize our lifetime dream through Kickstarter (Crowd funding).

In fact we dislike self-promotion in terms of spam but in our current position there is no other possibility and otherwise we can bury our lifetime dream.

Our plan is to found a new fashion brand. Fashion means to us shoes, fragrances for him and her and headphones. Our marketing-concept is based on promotion through celebrities. In the past it was possible to us to get a good connection to popular people. There onto we want to open a store in Los Angeles, Hollywood to emphasize the elegance and exclusivity.

For our big plan we need 3.5Mio € to be competitive on the international market. In this cause we published our intentions on Kickstarter to get our project financed through crowd funding.

It would be awesome if you support us. Every euro brings us further and of course we have little considerations for you helping us.

We got after 12 hours almost 12.000€.

We thank you with all our heart and you can have a look at the following link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1487919235/los-angeles-wings-shoes-fragrances-headphones

Best regards,

Fabian and Ivan

• March 24, 2014 1:41 AM EDT

Hi everyone,

I am very happy to introduce myself to all of you. I am part of UniArts Design which is a web-based graphic design house offering comprehensive design services. We create high quality designs to promote your business, service, and products in a highly-competitive marketplace.

• April 1, 2014 6:52 AM EDT

Wow. =) That's quite nice and interesting. Though with the topic, using costume for advertising, may be a fun way to get attention of your possible customers/clients. Yet, as the society change so as the way of competition in the business world -which in fact became quite hi-tech or modern than ever. Among those new ways of markerting, social media plays quite a role. So in relation to what you've mentioned -using costumes might be a little tacky for some but planning for something creative might just bring a new taste for this kind of advertising method.

• 69 posts
    April 1, 2014 7:08 AM EDT

It can work but not for each company. It's definitely a good solution when our target group is kids. However, it can give more harm than good when the company's profile is connected with security and seriousness.

• 20 posts
    April 15, 2014 11:23 AM EDT

Dressing in a costume works for getting attention, but I can't think of a time it's caused me to respond to the particular business. Where I'm from it's mostly pizza and tax businesses. or car wash fundraisers. I guess that's the point, it does draw attention, but how much does business increase on the day you use someone dressed up, or the next day?

+ I do feel bad when I see someone on a hot day in a full blown mascot costume. It's sad.