Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Developing Your Invention

Developing a prototype in China

• 8 posts
    October 8, 2012 6:13 PM EDT

CHINA No No NO

Anything they sighn is worth nothing.

You will have to get like 1000 to 3000 made and when they get here and there is a problem, then what.

I work with a new products designer and have learned a lot.

You should do none discloser forms and keep it in the us.

There are place that specialize in the stamping out of tin box's for example.

I know from experiance that me and new product's designer seam to always get the people that are broke from a bad deal.

It is going to be hard for you to find someone reputable.

---
    Aerial Photography, Video is what i want to do. Along with CNC machining and Solid works drawing. Manufacturing.

• 8 posts

CHINA No No NO

You will have to get like 1000 to 3000 made and when they get here and there is a problem, then what.

I know from experiance that me and new product's designer seam to always get the people that are broke from a bad deal.

---
    Aerial Photography, Video is what i want to do. Along with CNC machining and Solid works drawing. Manufacturing.

• 8 posts

CHINA No No NO

---

• 3 posts
    December 12, 2012 5:32 AM EST

Hi, KD-

I believe our company might be able to help you out. We specialize in working with inventors to help design their products, consult on manufacturing feasibility, and offer sourcing solutions. We also assist larger companies with procurement solutions through supply partners  both domestic and in LCC's (such as China).

Our forte revolves around polymers (plastics and rubber) so I believe we'd be a good fit for helping you with your design and material. Our engineers can turn around 3D models in the same day that provide mfg data. Feel free to check out our website and see if we can help out!

http://srcsync.com

Good luck!

---
    SourceSync Consulting Engineering + Consulting http://srcsync.com

• 1 posts
    April 25, 2012 5:34 PM EDT

Hello,

I'm in the beginning stages of developing a consumer product that has to do with lunch boxes and I'd like to have a prototype made in China (I've been told that it is much cheaper to have things manufactured there).   I searched the web for different manufacturers but haven't had much luck in finding anyone.  Can anyone recommend a company/contact person etc that I can get in touch with to start developing my product? 

Also, should I have a 3D image prior to contacting someone to do the prototype, and if so, does anyone have any recommendations/contacts on who to use?  I'm new to this invention/new product development business, so any information would be very helpful.

Thx so much in advance.

KD

• 39 posts
    July 24, 2012 10:40 AM EDT

It may be cheaper to manufacture in China but I wouldn't say it's cheaper to have a prototype build there. There's tons of places to get that done locally. If you want to build a prototype you are going to have to have some specifications, drawings, cad files, dimensions, etc. It all needs to be worked out. Nobody will be able to build something by reading your mind and guessing what should be where. First thing, work out the details. Draw up as much of it as possible with dimensions and material call outs and any other detail you can think of. Next, find a prototyping house or mechanical engineer to help you draft up the technical drawing and start the prototyping process.

---
    Two Finger Rings, Double Finger Rings
    Micro Screws, Mini Screws, Small Screws | US Micro Screw
    Custom Screw Manufacturer | Custom-Fasteners.com

• 4 posts
    July 27, 2012 2:26 AM EDT

First, you will need to have your 3D work done before having a prototype done.  Find a designer in your local area because it is easier to sit down face to face and describe you ideas in person.  Once you have your 3D CAD model complete you can have a prototype manufactured.

While it is often cheaper to have a prototype done in China, the best solution is to work with a domestic company that already has contacts in China.  Find a local prototyping firm and ask them if they outsource any work to China, and do they have relationships with reputable vendors there.  I would not recommend trying to work with China directly.

We sometimes use China sources for plastic injection molding tooling.  We have good relationships with several manufacturers there, but we prefer to use ones with US based offices and contacts as it insures a more problem free transaction.

Scott

Premier Plastic Molding & Tooling, Inc.

---
    Scott at - Premier Plastic Molding & Tooling Inc.

• 1 posts
    September 25, 2012 11:01 PM EDT

This is Tim from China.We are the factory specialized in Prototype Making: CNC, SLA and SLS as well as Working Prototypes,Vacuum Casting, Master Tooling, Sculpting, Finishing with 8 years manufacturing experience.

if you are interested in it,you can visit us wwwdotjevnydotcom for more information.