Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Website Critique

Cosmotown.com

• 47 posts
    April 10, 2013 1:20 PM EDT

Hi VP.  Well, I do like your business model and your prices.  Seems like a nice way to target the domain name market.  Although I have to ask....why did you choose Cosmotown as the name of the business?  I guess it's too late to change, but it just seems like an odd choice.  I would have chosen something more telling about the business.  But, it is what it is.  :-)

I like the colors and layout of the site a lot.  I love how the blues and white and light grays all work together, and the site has a nice, clean, professional look to it.  But while the woman on your home page is very attractive, her look and pose don't really make much sense on the site.  It just sort of looks like a stock image of some model was purchased and used on the site.  My advice would be to change it to perhaps an attractive woman with a laptop or such, but that's just my personal opinion.  Overall, I like the design and the business.  I wish you the best.

David @ Touch Point Digital Marketing

Web Design and SEO for Small Businesses

---
    A New Orleans SEO & web design company.

• 47 posts
    May 21, 2013 12:10 PM EDT

Hi again, VP.  And yes, you are right--most major registrars do not have "domains" or any related keywords in their name.  However, those major registrars are well-known brands, whereas very few know about Cosmotown and what you offer.  One suggestion to help you at least initially to start ranking for search terms related to "domain names" and similar would be to use cosmotowndomains.com instead of just cosmotown.com.  Having the word "domains" in your domain name will help you.  You could still use cosmotown.com on all of your marketing materials, and just do what's called a 301 redirect to cosmotowndomains.com.  Then when you finally have some traffic and a name built up, you could just switch it back to cosmotown.com if you'd like.  Some may feel that the domain name is too long, but people won't be typing it in anyway.  Just a little suggestion to help you and give you a little extra "push" in the rankings while trying to build up more traffic and brand recognition.  

Anyways, I wish you and your company the best.

A New Orleans SEO & Web Design Company

---
    A New Orleans SEO & web design company.

• 7 posts
    April 10, 2013 10:09 AM EDT

Hi Startup Nation, 

I'm new to the board and wanted to ask what people thought of my site.  

www.cosmotown.com

We are a global domain registrar that's new to the States.  Our core mission is to drive affordable and sustainable domain ownership for everyone, with transparent pricing and practices. 

So we do not offer low intro rate specials, only to jack the prices up the following year.  We don't upsell, or make our low pricing contingent on purchasing other products.  We want our page to be simple and easy to navigate. 

We lower our prices the longer you sign up with us.  So our pricing for a .COM starts at 8.99/yr for a 1 yr plan, but goes down to 7.99 if you sign up for 5 years.  Our .NET starts at 7.99/yr, but goes down to 5.99/yr if you sign up for 5 years. 

Sounds simple and basic, but none of the other registrars are doing this . 

Also, we don't have any hidden fees, and we offer WHOIS Privacy for free with each registration .. 

We are relatively new, so there are features that we are still working on.  We really would like some feedback on what people think about our site, as well as our pricing model and structure.  

We don't offer hosting or email, but most people agree that you should register your domain with a different company than you host with.  

Please let me know what you think! 

---
    www.cosmotown.com - 7.99/yr .COM's & 5.99/yr .NET (5 & 10 yr). Free Whois Privacy. Low Price & Satisfaction guaranteed.

• 7 posts
    May 21, 2013 8:54 AM EDT

Thanks TouchPoint for the feedback.  I agree with most of your comments.  The name Cosmotown was chosen by our CEO.   I originally didn't like it either, but it's grown on me.  I thought a name that's domain related would be better originally, but now I think it's more important to stand out and be memorable.  Most of the top registrars' names are not domain related either (Godaddy, 1and1, tucows/hover, enom etc).  

---
    www.cosmotown.com - 7.99/yr .COM's & 5.99/yr .NET (5 & 10 yr). Free Whois Privacy. Low Price & Satisfaction guaranteed.

• 7 posts
    October 24, 2013 5:25 PM EDT

Hi David, 

That's actually a great suggestion.  I'm going to run it up the flagpole and see what people think .. 

Thanks 

James

---