Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Accounting & Financial Management

Previous Business taxes

• 3 posts
    February 5, 2008 11:43 AM EST
    Hi, I incorporated previously and did nothing with my corporation, including I did not file taxes. Eventually my corporation was shut down by the state of California. Now I am living in a different state and want to incorporate and start a business. What would you recommend I do to "clean up" my old corporation? Can I just file a cease and desist or something like that with the state of California. I don`t want to incorporate now and have this come back on me. Thanks in advance for your time.
    • 3 posts
    February 5, 2008 2:18 PM EST
    Thanks, Neil, for the response. I will bookmark your website for future tax situations!

John
    • 10 posts
    February 5, 2008 1:18 PM EST
    JohnJohn,

When you do not file annual reports to your state of incorporation, the state dissolves your corporation.  Assuming there was no activity within the corporation, there`s nothing you need to do.  Forming a new corporation will not be a problem.

Regards,

Neil Johnson
    The Tax Dude™   

---
    Neil Johnson
    The Tax DudeĀ®
    www.thetaxdude.com
    taxdude@covad.net

--------DISCLAIMER NOTICE--------

Any tax advice contained in the body of this e-mail was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by the recipient for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.

• 10 posts
    February 6, 2008 11:12 AM EST

You are welcome.  I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

---
    Neil Johnson
    The Tax DudeĀ®
    www.thetaxdude.com
    taxdude@covad.net

--------DISCLAIMER NOTICE--------

Any tax advice contained in the body of this e-mail was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by the recipient for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.