Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startup Funding

Rules on general solicitation for investors?

• 26 posts
    September 15, 2013 9:18 AM EDT

The SEC has changed those rules - you should look into them. I think that you have to go through a accredited site to raise funds - but that may help you as well.

Other then that, you might be able to say something like your company has filed with the SEC under reg d or what ever regulation - that will let accredited investors know what you are about.

---
    Business Money Today - Small Business Loans

• 8 posts
    August 26, 2013 5:45 PM EDT

General solicitation for investors is currently illegal (SEC soon to change), but I don't fully understand the specifics.  For example, the local newspaper is soon doing a story about me and my company and I'm wondering if there is anything I could have the reporter include that let readers know I'm looking for accredited angel investors?

I assume the article can't say something direct like "so and so is now seeking accredited angel investors", right?  If not, then any suggestions on what can be said that would let readers know?

In regards, to the new SEC ruling that I think goes into effect on Sept 10, does anyone know what can be said in such a newspaper article without having to file with the SEC?

Thanks,

John

• 3 posts
    December 16, 2013 6:12 AM EST

Hi there …

You are absolutely right, John, new Rule 506(c) (it’s the only one that permits general solicitation under Regulation D) went into effect on September 23 and requires subscribers to qualify as accredited investors.

It’s also important to note that this new rule is still being worked on by the SEC and additional restrictions and requirements are likely to be imposed in the not too distant future. Some of the key issues that are currently debated, are (i) extended disclosure and filing requirements for Form D and (ii) the submission of all disclosure documents and marketing material used in connection with the offering (not necessarily considered a filing) to the SEC.

It’s a lot to take in and this new rule is probably everything but the landmark legislation it was made out to be.

Please feel free to check out my blog post on this subject at http://www.jacksonsteiner.com/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-general-solicitation-in-private-placements-under-new-rule-506c/

It’s my take on new Rule 506(c) in a nutshell.

If you are interested in an even more detailed and comprehensive analysis, please check out my article on http://www.jacksonsteiner.com/insights-analysis/sec-approves-general-solicitation-in-regulation-d-offerings-under-new-rule-506c/

Please feel free to post a comment on our website or Facebook page in case you have any questions.

I hope this helps.

Karl

This post was edited by Karl at December 16, 2013 6:23 AM EST