Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Strategies & Tactics for Getting Efficient

Shipping dilemma

• 14 posts
    November 21, 2011 8:52 PM EST

Lorsque vous achetez une réplique, vous dépensez beaucoup moins que la vraie montre.Ne vous laissez pas berner par les déclarations et demandes de vendeurs en ligne de vente au détail et les sites qui leurs répliques sont fabriqués au Japon ou en Suisse. Ils sont tous fabriqués en Chine ou en Tha?lande, tandis que certaines répliques de montres haut de gamme contiendra que des replique montre mouvements suisses et au Japon. La majorité sera faite avec les mécanismes de montre breitling bon marché, qui est en partie pourquoi ils co?tent si peu à produire et à vendre. Mais même ceux avec des mouvements de montres montres bon marché peut être fiable et saine, selon d'autres facteurs.Vous obtenez ce que vous payez. Une montre bon marché, c'est précisément cela - une montre Bell&Ross de qualité bon marché. Vous ne pouvez pas réaliste de s'attendre qu'il soit très fiable. Soyez attentif au sujet cher montres automatiques avec des sous-cadrans qui ne travaillent même pas. Si vous souhaitez une montre chronomètre fonctionne, vous devrez trouver une replique de montre à quartz, qui co?tera 200 à 300 dollars. Tout ce moins cher ou avec un mouvement automatique de base n'aura pas l'air ou de la fonction précise.

• 355 posts
    November 22, 2011 5:04 AM EST

I use to work for companies that dropped shipped orders for select customers.  These customers had very specific packing and labeling guidelines. Can’t count the number of complaints we received from these customers because their instructions weren’t followed. 

Many of the mistakes involved our order packers putting our labels and packing slips on the out going order.  Or, the order wasn’t package in accordance with our customer’s instruction.  They in turn, receive complaints from their customers.  Or worse, their customers bypass the middleman and buy direct from us.

I feel you are better off having the artists ship to you.  You can then inspect the product before it goes out the door to your customer.  You also maintain control over branding and other aspects of the shipping to your customer.

You also can work with Fed Ex, UPS, Postal Service or other freight caries to cut your shipping cost.  You probably have a regional freight service in your area for instance.  Many of these companies charge less than the traditional parcel services.  

P/S  I translated the other post you received.  Its basically gibberish.

---
    The older we get, the more excuses we make for not chasing after our dreams. But truth is, goals are attainable at any age.

• 10 posts
    December 12, 2011 8:40 AM EST

If you want maximum control and to ensure 100% boxes depart as you intend them to.....do it yourself.

However, if you value your personal time, and making a decent wage per hour you invest in your business, consider raising your prices and having the artisian drop ship the items.

---
    Fortune 500 Experienced Web Design & Development :: X Studios
    Helping Online Merchants Increase Profits & Kick Butt! eCommerce Warriors

• 2 posts
    November 21, 2011 9:00 AM EST

I run a small handmade gifts boutique and am struggling to find the "right" way to pack and ship orders.

I represent a number of Wisconsin artists who hand craft the products upon order placement.  Most have said they would be willing to just dropship the item (I would provide shipping labels, invoices, etc.).  However, I want the feel and brand to stay consistent throughout the process.  So, I feel I only have 3 options...

1. Double up on shipping - the artist ships the items to me and then I ship them to customers (but this would take extra time and money)

2.  Since most of the artists are close to my location, I could go and pick up the items (this takes less time, but extra gas money - plus what happens if I expand farther outside the Milwaukee area?)

3.  I could just have the artists drop ship the items, and hope (and pray) that they aren't skipping out on anything or simply ignoring my branding wishes.  (I could also supply all of the materials, but then we run into the problem of varying sizes of items and providing all the sizes they might need.)

I'd really appreciate your help in this!!

Thanks,

jessica

www.twohootsgallery.com

• 2 posts
    November 24, 2011 3:55 AM EST

Thanks for your experience and opinion... That's the way I'm leaning.  So, I'm glad to hear that others suggest it.

As for the French post, I read a little french, but when I started reading about Japan and Switzerland, I figured it didn't relate so I ignored it! 

Thanks again!

-jessica

www.twohootsgallery.com

• 4 posts
    December 1, 2011 10:41 AM EST

I think you are on the right track with wanting final control over your shipment.  If one of your artists sends out a package stuffed with newspaper and it arrives smashed, it will be a reflection on you.

If your items are large or complicated, I would suggest going with a UPS Store.  They are individual franchises, you could contact the one nearest the artist.  The artist would bring in the piece, the UPS Store would pack it and ship it under your name and can even include your own paperwork. You can pay over the phone or some may offer house accounts. This way you know you have consistent and quality standards in your outgoing package, you can even ask them to communicate with you if there appears to be an issue with one of the items being sent (ie if they notice a tear or stain).

Guess what my day job is?  We have several customers that we perform this service for.  I think you would find the stores in your area more than willing to help.

Good luck! 

• 110 posts
    December 7, 2011 4:42 AM EST

Hi Jessica,

My choice for the shipping option is that you go pick them up in person.  Make sure to get a couple pieces to sell from each artist during your visit (maybe even a couple on consignment).  This way you will also maintain really good relationships with your suppliers.  You can inspect the product before it leaves the artists hands.  It may be easier to negotiate better prices and more product.  If you do expand outside your area then maybe you can switch to a they ship to you method for some but worry about that when you get there.  I really like the branding and you controlling all the shipping idea.  Best of luck, keep us in touch on how it goes!