Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

How should I end a letter to a prospective client?

• 53 posts
    April 12, 2007 12:04 PM EDT

I am writing a letter (email actually) to a client I really want to do business with. I don`t want to appear desperate and I have this bad habit of typing this out:

I hope to hear from you.

Then I delete it and change to:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Any advice on this? The sentence prior to this is:

Again, I enjoyed meeting you last night and wish you much success!

And is that corny, too? I don`t like putting "I`ll call you next week to follow up." when there really is nothing to follow up on. He didn`t ask for a quote or discuss any project. But he did indicate there are times when he would need my services.

The purpose of this email is to confirm what I told him last night: that I would enjoy the opportunity to work with him. And I will follow up a month or so from now with another email asking if there is an upcoming opportunity.

Am I okay here? Or can I improve on this process? I`ve never really put much thought into selling myself, but my luck of getting clients may run out one day. Thanks in advance for your input.

---
    Make it count! My Passion: www.jdawgdesign.com - My Rush: www.wyliephotos.com

• 53 posts
    April 12, 2007 7:53 PM EDT

Thank you all for your comments. The feedback is great and exactly what I was looking for. Many of you touched on a factor that I think is so important these days: building a relationship.

For me, a hard sell is a challenge. I just don’t like doing it. I don’t like having it pushed on me either. There is a fine art to being pleasantly persistent! But I completely get that one has to be firm and speak with action, as Bret and CampSteve suggest.

And I also see importance to have a line that separates you from others and tells a little bit about your personality as LifeTranscender suggest. It’s all about balance!

Keycon, your comments really defined my issue. And the letter writing is something I will be using more frequently.

Two weeks ago, I meet with a possible associate, someone I can refer clients to for a particular service. A week later, I received in the mail a hand written note from him. This impressed me so much, the next day I bought some nice blank cards. Perhaps later I’ll design some with my logo. But I was very impressed. Thanks for confirming that the written word can mean a lot!

---

• 53 posts
    April 13, 2007 12:18 PM EDT
    And cheers to you, too, Nikole! :D  Thanks for the input!

---

• 53 posts
    April 17, 2007 3:48 AM EDT
    Thank you very much for your input, Vicki and Maria!!

---

• 270 posts
    April 12, 2007 12:27 PM EDT

All of them sound fine.  If you use the last one you might want to say "yesterday" instead of "last night".  I am not sure any of them make that much difference.  If you want to do business with the person you need to make sure your message contains something they want in it.  You should make sure your email also gives them a reason to take action or at least contact you again.  Be more mysterious than overly anxious.  The sample fact that you are doing a follow-up email will give them the message you are interested and you are on the ball.  That is very good.  Keep it short and simple.  This works for me.

---
    Bert at Harvey Software, Inc.
    Multi-Carrier Shipping Software and Supply Chain Solutions for Internet Retailers

Also a provider of free shipping information and resources at Harvey Software`s Parcel Shipping Blog along with free tracking solutions at TrackingPage.com...

• 2 posts
    April 13, 2007 6:23 AM EDT

Hi everyone!  I am sending my new product to Macys for review.  Should I send my typical press kit with sample?  My press kit features the press release, product brochure with pictures, recent media attention, and thats about it.  Please advise.

• 344 posts
    April 12, 2007 5:34 PM EDT

The purpose of this email is to confirm what I told him last night: that I would enjoy the opportunity to work with him. And I will follow up a month or so from now with another email asking if there is an upcoming opportunity.

Dawg - There are some good suggestions above and I lean toward the positive suggestions - don`t like using the word "hope" either. I think you answer your own question in the quote section I included.

The PURPOSE of your message. Put this into words. This one email is not going to make or break this relationship. Relationship building is long-term.

I will make a suggestion that I think in this instance has merit. Don`t send an email. If you really want to stand out, send a USPS mailed letter. Your client WILL remember a printed letter from you more so than an email. Do the follow up you mentioned in a printed/mailed letter, too. Experience tells me this works. Try it.

In this day of high-speed, get-it-fast, right-now, 100s of emails inour boxes every day - a mailed letter can stand out from the crowd. Hopefully, you have some nice letterhead stationary and envelopes. Go Big or Go Home.

R@

---
    Richard Arnold · Key Concept Writers · Business Communication: The "Key" To Success· Law of Attraction Blog · Life Ain`t Brain Surgery Blog