Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Accounting & Financial Management

do I have to file taxes as a business?

    • 2 posts
    February 25, 2012 3:31 AM EST

    Everything needed to calculate the business's profit. Records of how much the business's receipts were. Receipts for all business expenses you want to deduct


    • 3 posts
    December 16, 2011 2:49 PM EST

    'If I get my EIN before I start my business, do I have to file taxes as a business? And if not how long do I have before I do? And do i have to pay some kind of fees for the EIN.

    • 1 posts
    January 1, 2012 4:19 PM EST
    Go to and search for ein application. It is free to get one but it does trigger reporting requirements such as payroll taxes, sales tax etc. You must file taxes for a business. It depends on your entity as to what needs to be filed and where. It would be well worth it to visit with an accounting professional. It's much easier to do things correctly than it is trying to fix some done wrong.
    • 110 posts
    December 20, 2011 3:29 AM EST

    Hi Emanon,

    I think the best thing you can do is consult a professional accountant.  I think your tax liabilities are more based on when you actually incorporate and not so much on the Employment Identification number.  I would also study and research everything about the topic I could on the IRS website:,,id=98350,00.html

    It never hurts to really educate yourself from the source about the subjects you are curious about.

    • 75 posts
    March 23, 2015 10:23 AM EDT
    The idea is also what the site about furniture and door products been sharing.
    • 8 posts
    August 13, 2015 11:05 PM EDT
    For most of the business, there are five ways to get started - sole proprietor, Partnership, LLC, S Corporation and C Corporation. It's not required for the sole proprietor to get EIN/FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number), you can just use your SSN to report the business income or loss on Sch C of 1040. You have to get an EIN, if you are conducting business as partnership, LLC, S Corporation or C Corporation.

    The posts below can provide you info -

    1. Which legal form of business to choose, sole proprietor, Partnership, LLC, S Corporation and C Corporation?

    2. How to apply for EIN? IRS gives three options: online application (the quickest way), phone, or paper file Form SS-4. You can get more info and step-by-step instructions here:

    3. For partnership, LLC, S Corporation and C Corporation - once it's formed, you have to file the tax year for that year (due in the following year).

    4. If you don't want to set up any entity, and would like to go with the simplest form sole proprietor. Here is the sole proprietor income taxation basic info and example illustration:

    Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, and we can write more posts.