Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

How to Sell Ad Space in Publication

• 4 posts
    February 21, 2012 4:45 PM EST

Hi, is it online or printed? If it is online, you can find ads from google, microsoft, and so on. If it is printed, you need to find ads from local companies. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

-----------------------

what causes high blood pressure
    • 20 posts
    February 21, 2012 5:52 AM EST

Okay guys, I'll confess.  I am terrible at sales.  I'm much more of an operations type of person.  My friend and I are starting a monthly publication.  Basically a quick read that goes in restaurants and waiting rooms, etc.  The problem I am running in to is exactly how to get advertisers to, well, advertise. 

The plan we have seems pretty solid to me and we're not asking too much in my opinion to advertise.  The problem is finding the people to advertise.  I am strapped for time, so inperson is difficult for me to do right now.  Anything else work as I'm not having much luck with emailing or calling.

Thanks.

• 20 posts
    March 7, 2012 9:35 AM EST

It is print.  What I need help with is how to approach companies to get them to purchase the ad space.  Basically, the equivalent of how a Coffee News or any other local publication gets their advertisers to advertise.  Do I have to walk in to each business and ask in person?, have copies?, what?  We are working full time jobs and have young families, so we'd like to be able to maximize our time.

• 2 posts
    January 12, 2013 8:50 AM EST

I am in a similar situation. I am selling ads for an ads-only direct mailer, but need to sell ads in order to make this thing work. I tried before Christmas (too late in the month) and got a lot of no and maybe answers and two sales. Took lots of time and have decided to lower my pricing in order see if it increases sales. I also work days and have a young family.

I can tell you that you are going to have to make the rounds, visit stores, come back when the owner is in or after they have talked it over with their spouse/business partners.

I just submitted a post looking for advice, but you will most likely want to start looking for a sales person.