Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Strategies & Tactics for Getting Efficient

Virtual Phone System fo Small Businesses

• 4 posts
    January 4, 2009 5:17 PM EST
    E-Mail me what it is you need, we are a small but full service/retail IT Company located in Middlesex county. We might be able to get you in the right direction.

Visit the all new IT Dreams online store

www.it-dreamz.net  

Sincerely,

Shawn Jaryno

IT Dreams, Inc.

Making Information Technology Dreams, Reality!

Phone: 201-645-9936

Fax: 732-566-0473

E-Mail: sjaryno@it-dreamz.com

Web: www.it-dreamz.com

• 1 posts
    April 9, 2007 7:28 PM EDT
    My company has 4 employees and they are all working from home and we are connected to a virtual pbx system which is hosted by our voice over ip company.  This works really well for us because we have one main number and individual extensions, voicemail boxes, and virtual departments and multiple telephone lines to make and receive calls on.  We got setup with http://www.easyofficephone.com

• 5 posts
    August 18, 2006 3:48 PM EDT

hi

I already started with the virtual office service with tollfreelive.com they are a lot cheaper than vgotmail.com .

• 5 posts
    August 18, 2006 4:53 PM EDT
    and I used the following website http://www.goodcheapvoiceover.com/ to record a greeting message for a very very low price , and job done in 45 minutes , you won`t find this anywhere .
    • 70 posts
    September 8, 2006 10:23 PM EDT

Regarding the cell phone, the use as a services technician is part of the trade.  When a customer is frustrated or in panic the only thing their concerned about is getting you to fix the problem.  Cell phones are not of their concern.

I was in the same scenario you describe.  Since my company has grown (in customers) it was time to move away from the cell only situation.  Initially I was with one provider and had the new business number and toll-free number from them.  I soon discovered the one provider approach is disastrous should the entire service have problems.

My broadband VoIP provider fulfills the local business number and has the features of other suggested sites this thread has discussed.  My second approach is with another provider for the toll-free number that ties to the company number.  I look at it like diversification and not placing all the phones in one basket.

The feature that works for my one person company is follow-me.  A call comes in to the only number my customers know.  It then forwards after three rings to my cell.  This way the customer needs not know the different numbers.

Answering the phone live in a service based business is much appreciated by my customers.  Follow-me provides the immediacy customers need when calling in panic mode.

The music on hold stuff and push this that and the other is impersonal.  I cannot remember the last time I called a company with the robot systems and enjoying Rush or Nirvana while on hold.

• 70 posts
    September 9, 2006 9:56 AM EDT
    If I will use gotvmail/accessline and transfer my cell phone number to them, all my friends will be really really confused when they will call. I dont think I need toll-free number, customers told me that they know it`s local company when they call local number. I know I have to make decision really soon.

The FCC has regulated porting wireless numbers to land-line phone services is legal (see http://wireless.fcc.gov/wlnp/ ).  This is true of cell to land-line and vice-versa.  The only restriction to the portability is if the phone company`s switch provider is unable due to lack of technology or logistics in their equipment.  Porting a cell phone over to a land-line provider is rare for phone companies.  They`ll attempt back out by saying it`s not possible to transfer wireless to their phone service.  If you push hard enough they will make the effort.

It`s in your best interest to move that cell number over, in my opinion.  Your desire to grow the company is apparent and moving your cell number over is the best option.  Getting another number is fine and communicating this to customers is cool.  It took about six months for most my customers to use the new number.  I still get them to my cell.  No big deal.

The longer the cell is used the larger the problem.  The toll-free number, in my case, works great.  It`s an indirect sales pitch even if my customers don`t use it.
    William2006-9-9 15:12:44
    • 70 posts
    September 13, 2006 2:01 PM EDT
    I`ve used RingCentral for about a year.  No problems with them.  The primary reason I went with them was to separate the 800 service from the local number.  I don`t use it for press 1, 2, 3, yada yada.  That is the most impersonable way with customers.

Good luck.
    sd
    • 70 posts
    March 17, 2007 12:22 PM EDT

I use an online service called RingCentral (www.ringcentral.com).  People call into my 800 number and are forwarded to my cell phone (as well as other numbers I can specify).  If I can`t answer, the caller will be put into my voicemail on RingCentral which I can retrieve their message from my phone or online.

An added bonus is since it`s a toll-free number, even blocked numbers show up on caller ID.

It works for me really well.

RingCentral is a good service.  I`ve used them for over a year now.  The toll-free number and faxing are my favorites.
    • 70 posts
    June 30, 2010 11:44 AM EDT

Second of all, I`m looking for great Virtual Phone System for my company. I`m the only person in my company.

My company provides IT, network and computer services throughout the St. Louis region.

You are on the right track and completely understand what you are saying.  Imagine you are the plumber with the head down the toilet, on your back, one leg in the toolbox, and the other up a pipe and your cell rings.  Er, don't think so.

Gotvmail looks very attractive and may be the solution starting off.  However, watch the $$$ charges as you add features.  Don't let the national presence be a priority as it's difficult for you to work in Washington if you live in Florida.  :-)

I use Broadvoice.com and prefer the instate calling and use my own SIP phone.  They call the program BYOP.  For $17.95 you have in-state calling from your end, all incoming calls are free, the perks of Vonage are there, and they do offer the 800 number.  The $17.95 also includes the surcharges and an extra local number I have for another county.

It is nice to have an office phone when not on the road.

• 70 posts
    September 9, 2010 6:22 AM EDT

I use a combination of both a virtual phone system and then integrate it into GoogleVoice.  It works wonderfully.  Although I do get line quality issues from time-to-time while using it via the computer and/or Droid.  As the Google product continues to mature they should repair that problem.

I'm not pushing any virtual voice services, so hopefully my response is a bit objective for you.

Regarding looking "big," I've learned as a service provider the 800 and looking too corporate is a major disadvantage.  When a potential customer is trying to get in touch the last thing they want is a voice robot with elevator music.  They want the system to have a human on the other end.  It is personable and in my opinion will earn you more points with winning a sale.

Customers coming to you are already qualified sales. Now you just need to get them over the sale.  They don't need an obstacle tooting music and a robot bragging with an ego trip.