Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Strategies & Tactics for Getting Efficient

Virtual Phone System fo Small Businesses

• 2 posts
    August 18, 2006 11:59 AM EDT
    I am starting a small e-tail/manufacturer and I have started using http://www.gotvmail.com/ . It seems REALLY excellent, has a very wide and has an exciting range of options for a fairly good price. Best of  luck!
  • bp
    • 1 posts
    November 16, 2006 8:58 AM EST

Virtual PBXs are great for many small businesses. The ablity to lay over
    cell phones is particularly useful.

Here are a couple things to watch for and consider:

Per minute fees -- In a VPBX there are actually two legs of a call, inbound
    to the VPBX and outbound to your cell or landline phone. Many providers
    charge you per minute on both legs. Add in your cell phone usage and
    you could be counting minutes 3 times over. Make sure to research this
    aspect before buying.

Call Screening/Announce -- If you have multiple departments (press 1 for
    sales, 2 for support) does the service have a way to indentify to you or
    whoever is answering which department the call is for. It is very usefully
    for the person answering the phone to know the who the caller is
    expecting to talk to (sales, billing, support, etc).

Attendant options -- Can you have to call answers live and then roll-over
    to a call tree or call tree first with an option to get an operator?

Mobile controls -- Can you transfer an inbound call to another memeber
    of your company? Whether you are in the office or on the road, being
    able to transfer customers to fellow employees is vital. Asking customers
    to hang-up and call someone else is unprofessional. Customers may not
    call the other person leading to lost sales or frustration.

Voicemail-to-email -- Once you have voicemail-to-email, you`ll never go
    back.

---
    Aptela - How Business Answers the Call - Business VoIP and Hosted PBX for Small Business.

• 5 posts
    June 18, 2008 7:20 PM EDT
    If you want your customers to reach you 24/7 but you aren`t availalable all the time a voice mail system is for you. Since you`re business is computer related I recommended an internet voice mail service called 101voicemail which can be a low costs phone answering solution. They give a free toll free number which can improve your image separating you from your competition.
    • 3 posts
    September 6, 2006 3:20 AM EDT

My company is also home based and uses GotVMail.  So far, it has worked well. 

Good Luck.

---
    President, Splash Virtual Assistance www.splashva.com

• 4 posts
    December 11, 2008 10:03 AM EST
    Hi Banar,

I can highly recommend 1-800 We Answer Answering Service. They`re nationwide, and can do all of the things that you need an answering service to do, including making appointments and they are available 24/7 days a week, 365 days a year.

1-800 We Answer Answering Service provides telephone answering service, call center, voice mail, telemarketing, order taking, virtual office, and mail receiving services, phone installations and sales to businesses and individuals.

Tel: 1-800 We Answer
           1-800-932-6793
    Local Tel: 212- 868-1121

Answersman12/11/2008 4:02 PM
    • 10 posts
    February 6, 2013 9:12 PM EST

If You use Virtual System for Your Small Business Phone System You can get so many benefits.

I have listed some of the benefits:

• Keep your existing phone numbers - no transfer fees
    • Connect multiple office locations
    • Auto-receptionist with multiple virtual extensions
    • Reliable Phone and fax service
    • Integrate mobile or remote employees
    • Implementation advisors to help get you setup, at no cost
    • 24/7 free Customer Support
    • No Setup fees, no contracts required
    Virtual pbx Prices
    • 23 posts
    August 17, 2006 8:00 AM EDT

First of all I want to send regards to all StartupNationers :)

Second of all, I`m looking for great Virtual Phone System for my company. I`m the only person in my company. It`s mostly computer service for local consumers in Ocean and Monmouth Counties in New Jersey. It`s homes based on-site computer service. On my business cards I have my cell phone number. Everybody calls my cell. I start getting more customers. I want to be and look more professional. When customer calls my cell I think it`s not professional (maybe I` m not right) It`s like having companyname@aol.com or something like that. I hope you will understand what I mean. Please advise me, and tell what do you think about all this.

Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    www.computerclue.com

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    August 17, 2006 8:25 AM EDT

Wouldn`t that be more pro if my virtual phone system forward customer to my cell ?

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    August 17, 2006 8:49 AM EDT
    Visit Gotvmail.com and you will undestand what I mean.

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    August 17, 2006 10:02 AM EDT

Thank you guys.

I just thought about giving customers more info when they call me/my company. I`m getting more and more customers and only phone I use is my cell phone. I use call waiting all the time and switch between customers. Maybe if they would have music when they are on hold, it would be nicer. One more thing, how much further will I be able to go just with cell phone ? Let`s say my company will get larger in 2 years. Then I will have to get 2-3 phone lines and maybe change number on business card. I mean, if I have to change phone # I want to do it now, before my company will get really bigger.I want to use phone system that will be easy to expand. Get one phone # and have it forever, even if I will move to new office (5 miles from old one).

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    August 18, 2006 11:14 AM EDT

Thank you Bupulga.

Some of you say that I`m just suppose to keep my cell and be close with customers, they are right. But how long will I be able to stay that way. I cant  use just cell phone if I want to expand my company.

The point is....... I want to stay close and I want to expand.
    Accessline doesn`t have any phone # in my area code.

I have three options:
    1) just get regular phone line from verizon.
    2) get service from gotvmail.com
    3) get verizon, wait 2 months and make number transfer to accessline.

Unless you have something good for me and you want to recommend it.

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    August 18, 2006 7:01 PM EDT

http://gotvmail.com/voice/script.htm  charge $85/per page. It`s not bad at all.
    I dont need toll free number. I just want to have local phone with all these features, greetings etc.

Why do you recommend #3 over #2 ?

To have accessline and local phone # it takes time because I have to get verizon local first, then after few weeks when I get first bill I have to transfer this # to Accessline. Then they will be able to serve me. They dont have local phone numbers in my area and that`s why it has to be transfer to them.

Gotvmail have local phone numbers ready. So, why do you recommend #3 over #2 ?

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    August 18, 2006 7:37 PM EDT

Rania,

This http://www.goodcheapvoiceover.com is AWESOME. 5 stars for you.

Thank You

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    August 23, 2006 6:21 PM EDT
    I tried SunRocket Voice Over IP and it didn`t work really good. I have comcast high speed internet and about 7 computers connected. My voip phone will not work really great. I would have to get separate internet connection just for phones.

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    August 24, 2006 8:35 AM EDT

Thx bthomd.

What company did you use ?

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    September 6, 2006 8:57 AM EDT

I think I will just use GotVMail. Thank you all.

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    September 9, 2006 5:59 AM EDT

All my customers know my cell phone number. All my friends also know my cell phone number. A lot of customers have this phone # stick to the monitor. I am really confused and it is very hard for me to make desicion. If I will use gotvmail/accessline and get new phone # nobody will call me because nobody will know new #. If I will use gotvmail/accessline and transfer my cell phone number to them, all my friends will be really really confused when they will call. I dont think I need toll-free number, customers told me that they know it`s local company when they call local number. I know I have to make decision really soon.

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    September 13, 2006 12:53 PM EDT

Hello again,

User beibeijt told me about RingCentral.com It was really hard for me to choose between GotVmail, Accessline and RingCentral. I finally made my decision and I will get RingCentral.

Ring Central is in business from 1991. I chatted with their live help today. They are available and ready to help 24/7. I didn`t have to wait long time for representantive. Gotvmail doesn`t have live help. Accessline does. I contacted Accessline`s online help 5 times and average wait time is 5-6 min and they are available only Mon-Fri.

Ring Central offer local and toll-free numbers.
    ATTENTION
    Their 800 charge fee is the same as local. RingCentral charges only 1 billable minute per minute. They don`t have anything like IN and OUT minutes. Minutes come with plan and it`s your decision how you use them (in or out, voice or fax).

I wanted to get local number but I will get toll-free because as I said they don`t charge extra.
    One more thing. When you buy plan with toll-free number, you are the owner of this toll free, vanity number. When you buy plan with local number, RingCentral is the owner, so let`s say in 2 years from now you want to switch to different provider. You can switch but you can`t transfer your local number from RingCentral to ex. Gotvmail.

So one more time. Be careful with local plans. You are not an owner of local phone numbers offered by RingCentral.

If you want Toll-Free, they are great.

Thank you Joyce. 5 stars for you.

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    September 13, 2006 3:42 PM EDT
    It doesn`t seem like a bad choice, but I really don`t like programs that are not all exclusive. I still like MyVoiceEclipse.com because you get two phone numbers, two fax lines, and two voice mails. Unlimited amount of US, Canada, and Puerto Rico phone calls for only $19.99. They also offer large business solutions, but the $19.99 is great for a home business. You can always add toll free numbers or transfer your existing number(s).They also offer a free softphone. Thanks, jefe.

They don`t offer Virtual PBX, they are just regular voip company, like vonage, sunrocket etc.

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 23 posts
    September 14, 2006 6:34 AM EDT

It`s probably true that customers like when they call my cell, because they don`t have to wait long for response. But sometimes I can`t pick up the phone because I`m really busy or I speak with different customer. When I`m on the road and don`t have pen or piece of paper and customer wants to schedule appointment I want to be able to transfer him back to voice mail, so he can leave me all his info. About 500-1000 min is enought for me. I`m getting more customers and I`m afraid that I won`t be able to do it longer only with cell.

I`m also afraid that customers will not like my toll-free. They like local companies, not nation wide like Compusa, CircuitCity, Geek Squad.

---
    Tomasz B
    Computer Clue
    info@computerclue.com
    www.computerclue.com

• 14 posts
    September 3, 2006 9:05 AM EDT

There is a system called Asterisk that is based on Linux that is a complete phone system with VOIP and traditional land lines.  I have been considering the system a while.  The cool thing is the base system is free, but you will have to pay for minutes from a provider. 

The flexiable thing is you have the ability to do anything with the system you desire.  Frankly, we have been considering offering this system as a dedicated hosting offer where we would provide all of the above for a flat fee.  We are still thinking about this option.

You can research the technology here:  http://www.asterisk.org/

Side note:  VirtualPbx.com is good ; Also, KALL8.com has some services that may help you out.

• 14 posts
    September 3, 2006 9:42 AM EDT

Actually, you can use Asterisk in strictly a VOIP attitude.  You do not have to have a dedicated t1.  You can ride the whole thing over VOIP.  However, it does have the capability of doing traditional T-1 and VOIP. 

• 23 posts
    August 23, 2006 12:13 PM EDT
    Just thouht I could share this information with you guys about my VoIP phone, because it really helped my business.

I went to http://www.MyVoiceEclipse.com
    and signed up for the $19.99 plan that gives me two phone lines, 2 fax lines, 2 voice mail boxes, and ulimited local and long distance.

You can use a regular phone or a virtual phone on your computer that you can use anywhere in the world.

Just thought that this might help you as it did me.

Thanks and good luck!
    • 23 posts
    August 23, 2006 12:50 PM EDT
    I just saw your website and does your $9.99 plan come with any minutes? I see that it is 6.5 cents per minute local and I couldn`t find the rate for long distance. Right now I am paying $19.99 for two actual phone numbers, unlimited local and long distance, and all the toys you mentioned. Does your rate come with all of the unlimited minutes? All I know is that I am very happy with my service from MyVoiceEclipse.com
    • 23 posts
    August 24, 2006 3:50 AM EDT
    I have Comcast too, but make sure you have their fastest plan. I think mine is 8mbps. It all depends on your bandwidth and the VoIP carrier you are using. If you have a carrier that does good compression then you should be able to run your computers and have VoIP too. All I know is that I am happy with my service and I take it every where I go. Just find out if it works for you, because there is no contracts. Thanks.