Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Search Engine Optimization & Advertising

Which Is More Important...Page Rank Or Traffic?

• 11 posts
    September 13, 2012 7:40 PM EDT

Content, interesting presentation, professional transaction handling, and good customer communication routinely wipe out page rankings as being important. All the other stuff, it`s just playing around with getting visibility. But it`s no different than it`s always been.

---
    Breckenridge CO Real Estate

• 41 posts
    June 25, 2012 7:38 PM EDT

Page rank : Page is shows the how much your website is popular on internet.If you see the example of face book its pr is 10 and visited all over the world.So page is most important for a website.

Traffic: Traffic is the most important for any website.because traffic play a major role for a website's exposure and business.

Both are important for over all performance of a website.

• 747 posts
    July 27, 2007 8:16 AM EDT

PR is over valued. It is best not to focus on PR, what PR you have now, or will have in the future. PR is not a realtime measure of a website`s popularity or importance.

Content is king  and it can both generate traffic and increase site rank / popularity.

~Roland

vwebworld2007-7-27 13:16:54

---
    Web Design | Best Beef Jerky | ecommerce articles | Follow vwebworld on Twitter

• 747 posts
    July 27, 2007 9:21 PM EDT

When I say PR is over rated........ I think PR - the actual # that Google assigns, is only important to some "webmasters" or people "in the business" or those that are livng a little in the past.  Most viewers do not look for sites that have a specific PR#.

Long tail keyword searches - there is a practice of optimizing your site for "long tail searches". "Boat hardware" versus "5-inch bronze boat cleat" is an example of a typical targeted keyword versus a long tail keyword/phrase.  The theory of long tail searches is (1) long tail search phrases are easier to optimize for/ there is less competition (other website in the SERP) and (2) the total of hits/results from long tail searches can be as significant as the number of hits/results from a targeted keyword.

There is a tool to show you what long tail keywords are used to reach your site, but you can get a indication of them by looking at your website stats too.

~Roland

vwebworld2007-7-28 2:22:26

---

• 747 posts
    July 28, 2007 2:50 AM EDT

True, I do not optimize my vwebworld  page for my tag line. I use it to provide links to my clients while displaying the variety of my web design work. AND true I do not pay much attention to PR... I think that may be consistant with my belief that PR is over rated and not as important as other factors.

Over 60% of my traffic comes from referral links (I focus on relationship building), 17% from searches, and 23% direct.

While Google may "value" PR, the PR # you see is not a real time number.. it may be a day, week, or a few months old. BTW your website home page appears as PR3 when I bring it up.

Long tail searches... I did not mean to imply you would optimize for all long tail search combinations... as you say web page content essentially does this for you since it is usually the source of the long tail search result. However, I am suggesting it is a good idea to know your long tail search results.. it can indicate a strong market and indicate a direction to change your page optimization.

Exactly! "The long tail searchers also happen to be more reliable buyers". Another reason to check out your site`s long tail search results.

~Roland

vwebworld2007-7-28 7:52:1

---

• 747 posts
    July 28, 2007 1:13 PM EDT

It isn`t about popularity of keywords. It`s about relate-ability of keywords. We sell signal flags, but we have related words like "gifts, kids names, wedding reception."

If, on the other hand, we were to develop SEO content for such things as "engine oil, auto mechanic, space station," we might pick up more people, but to what purpose?

In other words, at what point do potential customers not only abandon a site, but get angry with the site because it showed up with irrelevant content during a search they made?

Actually, search engines may penalize sites that practice such SEO. So, not only do you risk viewers being unhappy, but getting banned from some search engine results.

~Roland

---

• 747 posts
    August 7, 2007 3:15 PM EDT

I love this topic. Roland, I don`t know you and I`m not implying this is you so don`t take it the wrong way.

Keyphrases are either long tail or short tail.  What ticks me off is the SEO Consultant that sells the "long tail phrase" for for "short tail" money and deceived the client into thinking their indeed paying for that phrase thats most searched.

I left an in-house position b/c their selling point was the fact their clients ranked number one for "your neighborhood name homes for sale". What a joke! I can literally blog about that community and add it to the title of my post and rank it in 48 hours.

To me it boils down to what you`re selling/telling the client. Do they understand and agree to rank for "long tail keyphrases"?  Do they understand it takes longer to rank for "short tail keyphrases"?  You can quickly weed out the snake oil SEO wannabees by knowing the difference.  Filling in your client on the differences is priceless.

Sorry for the l-o-n-g quote, but I have no idea what your post has to do with anything I said or quoted others

As for long tail, it is something that should be monitored from time to time to see if there is a niche market / key phrase that may be explored. Plus, for those sites that are in a highly competitive (search word) market it may actually be a viable approach to highly relevant traffic until the site becomes more established.

Long tail / short tail are not mutually exclusive either.

~Roland

vwebworld2007-8-7 20:17:39

---

• 34 posts
    January 19, 2012 7:26 PM EST

To increase Page Rank you need quality back links. Use link building techniques like,

Submit all the major search engine's

Submit Social bookmarking

Submit Directories

Participating in more forum, Google, Yahoo & Orkut Communities

Article submission,

Blog commenting , pod casting to get back links.

you can also follow,do some technical method,Get the traffic BLAZER service or Search engine Visibility service at here TheWebPole.com

• 34 posts
    February 26, 2012 7:39 PM EST

traffic is more important for a website than a page rank. page rank is merely a Google algorithm to which helps you in estimating the quality of your site. this is purely a google algorithm. where as traffic is what help to find out your site contains. whether your site is quality, useful. traffic helps you to determine how your site is popular and how many people loves to visit your site including the repeated members. so its better to concentrate more on site traffic than on page rank. my site is getting very good traffic in spite my page rank low. i got help from XnYnZ.com to get my site traffic increased. 

• 7 posts
    July 25, 2012 10:12 PM EDT

both are very important and I prefer PR more then traffic.

---
    BlackBerry Application Developer | Create Facebook App

• 110 posts
    August 22, 2012 7:46 PM EDT

HI

In my opinion traffic is more important than PR.  Traffic increase the sale of your product but PR not.

thanks

Seosailor.

• 22 posts
    May 21, 2013 2:16 AM EDT

According to me..both are synonyms to each other.If the pagerank increases then possibly everyone will click the first few websites that appear on the Google webpage this thereby increases traffic.I got the SEV(Search Engine Visibility) from Tucktail.com as they provide keyword and suggested topics,submit the site to over 100 search engines and also provide reports which improves the pagerank, eventually improve the website traffic.

• 69 posts
    January 15, 2013 7:58 AM EST

The both are important.

---
    Want to learn how to make $3750/m? We will help you MAKE MONEY, we will bring you TRAFFIC. Join me! Your Seven Figure Lifestyle

• 27 posts
    July 23, 2012 1:11 PM EDT

hi according to me increasing traffic will automaticaly helps to increase page rank of your site .so traffic is important factor to consider.

search engine optimization helps to increase traffic to your website .traffic is
    nothing that increasing the number of visitors to your site .this helps to increase the page rank
    of your web site in all search engines .seo services are available both at free of cost and paid service .
    free services include forum posting ,blog submitting , Directory submission ,Article Submission etc... but
    it take some amount of time to increase your traffic .to increase you traffic quickly paid seo service is best i recommend you to visit xnynz.com  here they provide best service which helps to increase the page rankand traffic of your web site, easy one click submission to search engines and provide report which show you how to move your website up in search results.

• 32 posts
    July 23, 2012 6:25 PM EDT

According to me, if a particular website is getting more targetted traffic to its webpage, then SEO will automatically give a good page rank. Page rank will only depend on the traffic and then number of backlinks.

---
    Accounts Receivable Financing & Factoring | Accounts Receivable Funding | Factoring Accounts Receivable | Factoring Company

• 44 posts
    August 9, 2007 12:43 PM EDT
    If the question is: ` which is more important, PR or traffic?`
    .........Than my answer is traffic hands down. A year ago, I would be incorrect. But today, PR plays a much smaller role in your rankings than most realize. It is still possible to have a top ranking website, with a high conversion rate, but have poor PR. Therefore, I think traffic is more important.

On the other hand, if the question is: `which is more important, a high conversion rate, or lots of traffic?`
    ......Than the answer is Conversion Rate - hands down. At the risk of over simplifying; Google designs their algorithms so that high converting, relevant websites receive the most traffic. Its not like 5 years ago where the best metatags got the most traffic - today, it is about the most relevant and helpful site.

For elaboration on the logic behind what I just said - I recommend reading this article on how Google prices their adwords campaigns.

---
    Best Regards,

Victor Wise

• 44 posts
    August 15, 2007 8:33 PM EDT
    and believe me m never able to understand what are the rules these PR guys follow to determine the ranking of s a site... some say it`s inbound and outbound links but no one knows the exact thing... :(... 

Fortunately for you, Google is phasing out linking schemes as an SEO tactic and is phasing out pagerank as well.
    ..... Its about time

---
    Best Regards,

Victor Wise

• July 31, 2012 8:49 PM EDT

In my opinion, they are equally important. You will get more traffic if you have high page rank and if you have more traffic your page rank will improve it is vice-versa. But if to select only 1 or to favor someone I will give more importance to traffic.

• 30 posts
    August 6, 2007 9:57 PM EDT
    PageRank, as already stated, is not always up to date. Although it is an indicator of some positive things, it is only for one search engine, and, for myself, it doesn`t always go hand in hand with higher search results.

I have a site which has been online for about 3 years. Right now, the main keyword phrases " used commercial trucks " and " used commercial trailers ", has it ranked number 3 in Google, number 1 in MSN for both. This is with a page rank of 3. And, there are some much bigger and better known competitors with a higher PR.

Maybe its open to how someone interprets it, but I think just being relevant, and having the relevant content, to what is searched for is much more important that dwelling on PR.

very well said.... Page rank is important though but surely it is not very relying... i mean with page rank like 1 or 2 also sites do appear on top 10 rankings in google search for some specific keywords... in my opinion alexa ranking plays a better role here... as it gives an idea of the traffic we are actually driving.... so alexa ranking is a better measuring tool then PR....

---
    www.PurpleTrail.com
    Free Online Invitations & Event Planning Tool

• 30 posts
    August 15, 2007 8:04 PM EDT
    i guess definitely traffic is very important... at least through analytics we are able to know what is happening on our site.... and believe me m never able to understand what are the rules these PR guys follow to determine the ranking of s a site... some say it`s inbound and outbound links but no one knows the exact thing... :(... 

---
    www.PurpleTrail.com
    Free Online Invitations & Event Planning Tool

• 8 posts
    March 13, 2012 9:36 PM EDT

I think page rank is more important to get more traffic. Traffic playas a very important role as if traffic increases than chances of sales also increases. Content is very important than page rank. Useful, unique and good quality content attracts visitor and hence traffic is being generated.

Web Designers Swindon

• 70 posts
    October 25, 2007 7:47 AM EDT
    PageRank is a measurement of scale, but not too handy.  Measurement is based on good keyword choices and the age of your site.  The longer the site has been running and content tweaked to your keyword choice the better rankings.
    • 70 posts
    November 19, 2007 5:46 AM EST
    Neither.  Content, content, content.  Page Rank is only to show the measurement of relevancy.  Linking is only a partial measurement.  Content, page title, relevancy, and meta tags (YES meta tags) will provide better results than the other stuff.

Also, depending on the competitive sector the website is in will determine placement.  If you SEO`d an auto dealership, good luck getting on the first page.  If you SEO`d for a funeral home your chances are much better.

• 17 posts
    January 21, 2012 3:54 AM EST

Whether it’s newly registered website or well established website, traffic is what matters most for all kind of websites. Getting traffic is indeed the ultimate goal of website.

---
    Fort Collins Kitchen Remodeling | Loveland Kitchen Cabinets