Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Strategies & Tactics for Getting Efficient

LCS a Creative Thinking Tool and More

• 3 posts
    January 4, 2010 11:00 AM EST

Here is a tool that I feel is the greatest tool for coming up with good creative ideas. Ideas on what happened. Ideas on how it happened. Ideas on what caused it. Ideas on how to fix it. Ideas on how to improve it.

Many times we are in meetings where discussions are taking place and you try to add to the discussion only to have someone else ”Knicks” your comments. The person “Knicking” really did not mean to make it sound like your idea was bad but that is the way it came across. Unusually, you will not add more to the conversation. Once put off we tend to keep quite. Plus, I might add, the issue being discussed never really gets resolved by the group. What is happening here is just something that our culture seems to thrive on and that is negative comments. We tend to always come up with why something will not work. We seem to be focused on that. But we never or rarely come up with why something will work, or at least what is good about that idea.

This tool helps in this discussion area to bring out what is good ( the golden nuggets) first and then discuss the issues with the idea next. So here it the tool:

LCS

LCS stands for Likes, Concerns Suggestions. In almost any meeting you can use this tool and you will be amazed at how it improves the discussions in the meeting. Here is how it works:

1. Everyone in the room must use LCS. At first this means that you will have to explain it to those in the room. Many times I’ll have soft spongy toy’s around the room so if someone does not follow these rules that anyone in the room can and will throw a toy at them to remind them to use LCS.
    2. LIKES – First, if you are going to make a comment about something the first thing you should say about it, is what you like. In doing this you show the person that made the statement and the rest of the members in the room that you understood what was said by identifying things in the statement that you liked. What I call the “Golden Nuggets” of an idea.
    3. CONCERNS – Second, no idea (or comment) is perfect so many times we have some concerns about some points in the original statement. Well those get stated next, but only if you have suggestions to improve or correct your concerns. If you can not come up with a suggested improvement then DO NOT STATE YOUR CONCERN. Why? Because you have no idea that is better. If you did you could add it as a suggestion, which means that you could now state your concern and suggestion for improving it.
    4. SUGGESTIONS –Third, if you state a concern YOU MUST ALWAYS give a suggestion to improve on your concerns. In brainstorming this is called piggybacking off someone else’s idea. They had an idea you liked some of it you had some concerns and suggestions that made the idea better.

Usually the ideas created using LCS are far superior to those that don’t. The reason for that is it is additive intelligence. With a good cross-functional team using LCS a diverse amount of intelligence is brought to the meeting and through LCS it is unleashed to solve an issue or problem the team is working on.

Now remember in Six Sigma even this discussion is only an opinion of the team or group. Now you have to go collect data and prove that the opinion is correct.Well give it a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy

Peter Bersbach

Six Sigma Master Black Belt

Bersbach Consulting

From Process to Profits

---
    Six Sigma Guru Professional Six Sigma Training and Coaching On Line Black Belt Training On Line Green Belt Training