Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Selecting a Business for Yourself

How Do You Change Your LLC Name?

    • 107 posts
    July 18, 2010 6:45 PM EDT

    It's not necessary for you to change your business name unless it's totally crucial. You will have a whole lot of other changes to do when you do that, which includes changing your bank details.

    Seo Consultant | Rattan | Microsoft Dynamics Nav | Autism Singapore | Industrial For Rent | Business Park | Gallbladder Surgery Singapore

    • 2 posts
    August 19, 2013 5:14 PM EDT

    I have had an LLC for 3 years now for Print Brokerage business that I was doing.  I never did much with the business, but always kept it open in case I did.  Now I plan on opening up a small bakery.   I would typically just dissolve the Print business and open a completely new LLC, but I thought that perhaps the 3 years of Tax history associated with the tax ID # would help me in some way with the Bakery moving forward, so I wanted to just change the name.  Wouldn't it be cheaper than opening an entire new LLC?   At this point all I would have to change is the name and the bank info. Any thoughts on if there is a benefit to having the 3 year tax history?

    • 29 posts
    September 15, 2008 2:27 AM EDT
    Generally, you just have to contact the Department of State (or Department of Corporations) in the state where your LLC is registered and fill out the forms to change the name.  There`s also usually a nominal fee. 
    In addition to the bank, CC companies, Vendors and clients, you need to notify the IRS that your name has changed.  You also need to notify any states in which you`re registered to do business.  If you`re licensed or registered with your local government, you have to let them know about the name change as well.
    You may just want to consider filing a DBA for your LLC.  That allows you to change the name commercially without having to change everything else. 
    If you have other questions, please let me know.
    Any opinions are offered without knowledge of the specific law of your jurisdiction and with only the limited information provided in your post.  No advice given here should be reasonably relied upon by you or any third party without consulting an attorney who is aware of all of the facts and law surrounding your situation.  Any advice given here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship in any way.

    Deena B. Burgess, Esq.
    Offering Affordable Legal Solutions to Online Businesses
    Check me out at Twitter and Linked In

    • 29 posts
    September 15, 2008 9:21 AM EDT
    The DBA is official.  It`s not necessary to change your LLC name... 

    Deena B. Burgess, Esq.
    Offering Affordable Legal Solutions to Online Businesses
    Check me out at Twitter and Linked In

    • 8 posts
    September 14, 2008 3:33 PM EDT
    What steps does it take to change the name of an LLC? What else happens after you change your LLC name? How does that change effect day-to-day business?

    Once the LLC Name is change, I guess you have to update:

    the bank (your account, checkbooks)
    the credit card companies
    any vendors that send you invoices
    any clients that owe you money

    what else???

    Thanks for your advice.

    • 8 posts
    September 15, 2008 8:01 AM EDT
    Thank you Deena,

    I have done the DBA and my bank accepts checks for both my LLC and DBA names. I was wondering how much `work` it was to make the name official. Sounds like a big headache and not really necessary if I have the DBA then.

    • 1 posts
    October 4, 2012 4:34 AM EDT

    Your legal entity can operate under many different names and you do not have to change anything. Or the name you prefer to use can simply be the name but yes you have to file a DBA (doing business as). Where I am, in New Jersey, the filing fee for each DBA is simply $35. I operate under my main business name however, I have certain projects that I want to market separately and I register these projects so the public appears that this project is not affiliated with the main name or maybe you want it to be a division of blankity blank. You will only have to give the paper work to your bank, stating that you also operate under XYZ name or name(s) so you can deposit checksa written out. So if your changing your name for marketing purposes, I would not change it or keep it as the parent and operate under a different name for whatever you are doing. /

    If, on the other hand, you have another reason for changing the name, such as problems I cannot think of, then your best bet is to simply dissolve your company and start a new one. For AFEW HUNDRED BUCKS YOU CAN DO THAT AS WELL AS YOU ALREADY KNOW. Otherwise, DBA!!!!!! No reason to go through all of that trouble. The IRS just wants their money and if somehow you had bad press or something, there are companies, like myself that can help you with public relation dmagae control. If you are changing your name, simply because you know longer like it (I have grown tired of my own name after using it for years but I don't care too much) then DBA or make a subsidiary and operate that way. So you do not even require a lawyer unless you are:

    a. dissolving and setting up a new company
    or some other reason unless you lost your domain name or something in which case people usually do not care about the name any more. Well I tend to write too (occupational hazard).

    Good luck! 

    • 1 posts
    December 3, 2012 12:23 PM EST

    I have the same question with a twist!  My Sec of State & Tax Commission show my business name as one thing and the IRS issued my EIN as a different my State Tax Commission (Oklahoma) won't reaffirm my sales tax permit because the IRS doesn't show the EXACT LLC name as they do.  Other than contacting the IRS, should I do anything else?  I have already contacted the OK Sec of State & OK Tax Commission and both say it's a problem I have to fix with the IRS.  Has anyone ever had this same issue and how likely am I to get it resolved in a timely manner (AKA: tax filing time)!