Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Building a Website that Works

Live chat...Increasing Website Conversion

• 49 posts
    August 7, 2008 6:38 PM EDT
    We are constantly searching for ways to increase our clients website conversion rates. We recently have added a live chat feature to certain websites and I thought I would share the info with the SUN readers.

Live chat, does exactly that, allows you to chat live with website visitors. The web is a funny place, anyone can search for anything in complete anonymity....and they love it. But what about when they are really, truly, looking for answers?

Adding live chat to certain websites, when it makes sense, can really help conversion. Imagine being able to have a real-time conversation with someone interested in your product or service at the exact moment they are interested in it. It can be extremely powerful. An attorney client of ours has been able to increase the amount of cases he files because he can answer questions about a serious matter and help someone fill a need without having to read 10 pages of online content.

Let`s face it, most people are simply looking for answers and if you can do that in a fast, convenient manner, will only help you convert more of your website traffic to actual clients.

You can even be proactive. Many systems allow you to send a message to visitors inviting them to chat with you. We have this on our site and have seen an increase in business in the short time we have been using it.

The software we use also allows us to see real-time visitors to our site, how they found us and what page of our site they are on.....It`s a little creepy, but when you combine that with analytics, it`s pretty powerful.

Is anyone else using live chat? Tell us about your experiences.

googleguy8/15/2008 10:12 PM

---
    www.searchmarketingsystems.net

• 49 posts
    August 8, 2008 1:23 PM EDT
    Good Question RabbitMountain,

The first day we installed the software we had 5 people browsing our site at the same time. Being able to see that they were there was kinda weird, it felt creepy. We could see where they came from, how long they had been on and what page they were browsing. It does not tell us who they are of course but it still felt weird, thats all. We are used to it now and see this as really benefiting our site and our visitors. Not to mention our clients that love it!

---

• 49 posts
    August 14, 2008 1:31 PM EDT
    Hi everyone,

Wow, this forum is awesome!!! The ability to share information and actually discuss the benefits of real life solutions to common start up issues is amazing. Live chat has been a real benefit to our start up and I would encourange anyone to speak to a professional like Jim @ Intersight to learn more about this powerful tool and how it can help.

I guess my "creepy" comment was more of a personal observation and was maybe taken out of context. We have not had the pro-active chat feature online for a few days due to a huge workload. I will have it up and live for the next few days, if you would like to see it in action. You can decline the invitation or you are welcome to say hello.

googleguy8/15/2008 10:16 PM

---

• Tis
    • 1 posts
    August 11, 2008 7:30 AM EDT
    I would love to discuss the benefits of chat technology for any site and eRetail is a must in my view. First question, do you feel creepy  if you have a store and someone comes in and you watch what they are interested in so you could help them? Keep your customers` interest, wants, and needs a top priority and your success will follow.
    Having chat on your site is a way to support your customers in their needs at the time they are looking for your help. Just like having a toll free phone number, chat is there to facilitate the customer in the purchase decision or problem solving. This support service can be listed on your site showing times that a person would be available or can be outsourced to a support center for more coverage. As long as you let your customer know when the service is active, they will appreciate your efforts.
    There are chat models that will fit any size company, and communicating to your customer will always provide benefits.

---
    Jim Tisdel
    InterSight Technologies
    www.intersighttechnologies.com

• 335 posts
    August 8, 2008 4:57 PM EDT
    what about hiring an outsourced live chat provider with customer service agents you train?

one of the companies we launched is www.intersighttechnologies.com/. True, most of their clients are bigger companies, but i`m sure it would work for lower volume businesses like yours, Janie.

i can make an introduction if you want to explore.

statistics suggest that conversion rates goes way up using this kind of solution. of course, there`s a cost to it to. that`s the analysis (test?) that must be done.

Rich

---
    Rich Sloan , Co-Founder, Chief Startupologist, StartupNation

• 335 posts
    August 9, 2008 6:15 AM EDT
    will do!

---

• 335 posts
    August 11, 2008 7:37 AM EDT
    jim,

you should link your company name in your signature so people can visit your site. thanks a ton for the post!

i know jim, folks, and can definitely vouch for his knowledge in this area. he`s been in this sector for years. of course, he does have a bias - his company offer live chat technology, but he`s a good guy and never sells snake oil!!!

Rich

---

• 335 posts
    August 11, 2008 7:38 AM EDT
    what is snake oil, anyway?

---

• 335 posts
    August 13, 2008 3:21 PM EDT

did anyone reach out to Jim ("Tis" who posted above) at Intersight Technologies regarding live chat? i`d like to get some more dialogue going on this...

---

• 434 posts
    August 11, 2008 4:42 PM EDT
    What does Peanut Oil come from?  You squash peanuts.
    Were does Olive Oil come from?  You squash olives.
    So, Snake Oil must be squashed snakes.....
    And Baby Oil is .....

Actually, Snake Oil is the fats skimmed off the surface of a pot of boiling water, rendering the snake.  The fats and oils in snakes are particularly high in EPA, which relieves swelling in the joints.  (My wife is a biologist).

---
    Steve Mann
    Internet Videographer
    MannMade Digital Video
    My Email

• 621 posts
    August 9, 2008 8:02 PM EDT
    Very Cool!! Janie, I think, that would be great. I would love more info to, Rich. I have been to the site and will get in touch sometime next month. We will be needing this and it would be great to outsource instead of hiring on for this particular task.

Erin

---
    Our Goal Is Your Success!
    Founder Girls with Goals

• 621 posts
    August 11, 2008 4:47 PM EDT
    Now we know, very cool!! thanks!

---
    Our Goal Is Your Success!
    Founder Girls with Goals

• January 14, 2014 8:48 PM EST

I accidentally came across inside, and after looking through their site www.inside.tm/magento-chat, it morphs a business website into a virtual storefront so business personnel can see and help their site visitors in real-time using chat.

• 2 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:09 PM EST

I accidentally came across inside, and after looking through their site www.inside.tm, it morphs a business website into a virtual storefront so business personnel can see and help their site visitors in real-time using chat.

• 1 posts
    June 23, 2014 7:31 AM EDT
    We replaced the chat for a call center and a click to call. Huge mistake. In brief we will return to the chat service.

http://www.hokuhome.com

This post was edited by Hkmo at June 23, 2014 7:50 AM EDT
    • 69 posts
    July 3, 2014 5:06 AM EDT
    Great idea. Communication with customers is much easier.