Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Selecting a Business for Yourself

I want to start a handmade crafts business

• December 6, 2007 2:17 PM EST
    My friend`s mother does this. She makes everything from handmade clay pots for plants, to hand made woven baskets, to her own dipping sauces mixes where you just add sour cream. 

This is all that she does and she has been very successful on her own. She lives in a small town in Oregon, where I grew up, and travels around the state to festivals, fairs, flea markets, etc....selling her items. 

She does nothing online, all sales are in person. She buys everything in bulk, usually online because it`s cheaper, and just works from her house. 

It`s completely possibly to support yourself by doing this, I`ve seen it so I know it can be done. Just be ready to put all your time and effort into.

Good Luck

---
    The ConsumerTreehouse.com Team
    www.consumertreehouse.com

• 2 posts
    December 6, 2007 1:33 PM EST
     I want to start a craft business in New Hampshire.  I have some of my pieces in a Florist/Gift Shop right now.  I` m looking to expand into craft fairs and web sales.  Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Shawlee 
    CountryCrafters12/6/2007 7:34 PM
    • 2 posts
    December 7, 2007 1:42 AM EST
    Hi Craig,
        I make the following:
    Crocheted Items, Christmas Ornaments, Gourmet Dog Treats, Jewelery, Gifts in a Jar, Candy, Glass Painting, Gourmet Food, Silk Flower Wreaths and Arrangements, Plastic Canvas, Cross Stitch, Latch Hook, Magnets, Bookmarks, and Nature Crafts.  I`ve also put up a storefront on the site etsy.  I plan on opening January 2008. 
    What is a minute sale?
    Shawlee Manning

• 59 posts
    December 7, 2007 8:50 AM EST
    I have done Arts/Crafts because I enjoy it.  I have sold them at craft fairs.  I get lots of comments that my items are cute and the best ones at the show, but there is not a lot of ability to make money.  I figured I make less than minimum wage by the time you figure all the time it takes to make the crafts and also deduct the costs of materials and entry fees.  It will never be my source of income, just some extra on the side occasionally.

---
    Natalie Berrett
    Part of the largest and fastest growing bookstore franchises in the world!
    100% Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee!
    www.MyBookWise.com/LiveWise
    FREE Preferred Customer Membership.
    Save up to 42% on books, CDs, DVDs, and college textbooks. Video games are coming soon.
    A portion of the profits goes towards helping abused kids and fighting illiteracy.

• 16 posts
    November 30, 2009 6:42 PM EST

You can also join fairs and bazaars.  Choose the good ones.  Those that can help you showcase your product to a wide variety of clientele.  A friend did this and in one of the bazaars that she joined, it so happened that a person writing for a major newspaper loved her product and wrote an article piece on her which has led to great business deals.

-----------

Kate

MedifastHealth.org

• 331 posts
    July 9, 2009 2:38 PM EDT
    ebay, craigslist, your own website . . . perhaps contact stores like michaels and see if there is taste for what you have to offer?

---
    The Extra Money Blog
    Make Extra Money Online - Paid Surveys
    File an Airline Complaint - Sue the Airline
    Dubai Information
    Accounts Receivable Factoring
    Structured Settlements
    Raw Food for Dogs
    Care of Bamboo Plants

• 331 posts
    October 26, 2009 6:17 AM EDT

any updates on the crafts business ? please keep us posted . . . success stories are always great to hear and a big inspiration to all of us

---
    The Extra Money Blog
    Make Extra Money Online - Paid Surveys
    File an Airline Complaint - Sue the Airline
    Dubai Information
    Accounts Receivable Factoring
    Structured Settlements
    Raw Food for Dogs
    Care of Bamboo Plants

• 2 posts
    February 3, 2013 10:57 PM EST

Hi Everyone :)

Why dont u try Ezebee? Its a new online platform where u can or sell your items or just do advertise for your business. u can offer a service too! My friend has a helicopter company and is selling tickets for pleasure flights trough ezebee.com.

I sell all my handcraft items over ezebee.com. Its free and safe cause i dont have to enter any account or credit card informations..

so just ckeck it out :)

• 6 posts
    July 9, 2009 7:43 AM EDT
    If you`re wanting to get into the "handmade" business, I would consider you trying etsy. I myself create handmade wallets and more and sell them on etsy. You can get your products out to a wide audience since etsy is worldwide. I am on etsy here: http://www.teepetals.etsy.com

---
    Visit http://www.teepetals.etsy.com Indie crafts
    http://www.teepetals.net