Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

A call from NBC - here’s what happened...

• 10 posts
    March 30, 2008 12:38 PM EDT
    Thanks for the advice. I`ll definitely remember it!  I have been turned down for a few stories because I haven`t been in business long enough to make a ton of money and it is very frustrating!  All you need is one story to get the exposure to make millions!  I just wish someone would take a chance on the small girl/guy!

---
    Lisa Liberatore
    Baxter Tea Company
    www.baxtertea.com

• 62 posts
    July 24, 2007 5:20 AM EDT

Hey there! I am a little late on weighing in on this but congrats on making it to the radar screen of NBC. In my other entrepreneurial life, I was the queen of garnering good press. The interesting thing was I never had a clue how that happened. I tell people in my internet company I "bumbled my way into success"...lol. So fielding those kind of calls will probably start happening more from the majors now that you are on the radar somewhere. A piece of advice though, when you get an inquiry like that even if it is a pass you should get that reporter`s information and the types of stories they do. That way you can start feeding him/her milestones and other pub you get and maybe give them an angle to cover you on. Each inquiry is an opportunity if not now soon. Major Kudos on the YouTube angle! That is grassroots marketing at its finest.

---
    Chit Chat and Chew is reconnecting families and changing lives. Visit us online at www.chitchatandchew.com

• 167 posts
    March 13, 2008 8:32 AM EDT
    First, congratulations on Smudge Guard. I hope that you get the call from NBC. I love to watch The Big Idea - and I saw the show with Leslie and Grill Charms products. I was so happy for her yet disappointed in the feedback she got from Bill Zanker (Learning Annex) he was not encouraging at all. In any case, I do believe that she is on to something and I hope that she exceeds her own expectations. Would love to see you on The Big Idea!!!!!

---
    Take each day, mold it and make it yours.......

http://www.solutionshealthnwellness.com

• 148 posts
    June 14, 2007 3:46 PM EDT

Hi everyone,

Here`s a quick story of what happened when an NBC reporter called me last time... 

The reporter asked me if I was the inventor of SmudgeGuard. I said yes.

She then tells me that she`s a reporter from NBC and would like to do a story about my product. So at this point, I`m feeling very excited since it was NBC calling.

Then, she asked what my sales in revenue were for this past year. I told her that I haven`t been in business for even a year yet so I wouldn`t know the total.

So she still asks me for an estimate, so my reply was, "Well, I know it didn`t hit the millions yet..(jokingly)" But I guess she didn`t take it as a joke and her reply was.."Okay, since my program is only interested in a million or more, I guess we`ll get back to you."   "Wh-a-t-t?  -  WELL, talk about being excited for just a few seconds to being really disappointed in a quick minute!

Just because I didn`t hit the million dollar mark yet?  Sighhh..Oh well.. life goes on.  

So as a helpful tip to all, just be prepared for that revenue question if a reporter ever asks you. If you`re one that`s making over a million, that`s great!  But if you`re not, just don`t get too over excited like I did. They may not even want to do a story on you or your product afterall.  

Has anybody else ever experienced this kind of call from a reporter from NBC or any other network?

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    June 15, 2007 4:25 AM EDT

Wow!  It`s great to wake up to all the kind replies from the GREAT SuN members... CookieMonster, Degrees, Cartess, nhgnikole, and CraigL! I`m truly touched by all your nice comments, words of encouragement and wisdom!

CookieMonster,

I hope NBC will be kind enough to call me back again one day. Until then, I will be waiting patiently and getting prepared for that moment.

Degrees,

I`ve never seen Donny Deutsch`s show before.  Instead, I`ve been watching shows like American Inventor and Everyday Edisons. I really should start tuning into Donny`s show to learn more. So maybe it REALLY was that show calling, I wonder.. 

Cartess,

My product is doing okay. It has it`s ups and downs. Nothing steady yet. When it`s exposed on the gadget sites, it does well. But it quickly tapers off when the stories get archived.

But I`ve seen your video on YouTube.com about magic (very cool by the way) and I want to follow suit but I don`t have the equipment or the creativity to make one yet.  But I`ve been doing research about Wacom users on YouTube recently and found that Wacom users often create their own home-made kind of glove to reduce hand friction.  So I came across this cool video from an artist who uses a home-made, cut-up white cotton glove to draw on his Wacom Cintiq.  I wondered if it would be a good idea to write to him and ask if he would be interested in getting a free SmudgeGuard in return for him wearing my glove instead the next time he makes a video.  What are your thoughts?

Please see this artist`s cool video below for your reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2APo_EORQ

What do you ALL think about that idea? Your feedback would be much appreciated.

nhgnikole,

The revenue question caught me off guard too. The nerve! LOL

But yeah, the hype piece would`ve been GREAT press, no doubt!

CraigL,

Your optimistic perspective is always welcomed! Yeah, NBC did indeed call me. I guess it`s not bad afterall! Since I`m a bad speaker, I will need to follow your good advice and practice answering those good questions you thought of. I think I got a D in public speaking class back in the day. So I`ll definitely need to practice!  

I want to thank everyone for their great feedback! I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Jeannie   

Jeannie2007-6-15 9:35:4
    • 148 posts
    June 16, 2007 3:25 AM EDT

Craig,

You are absolutely right. Thanks for the encouragement and support Coach!   I know I do lack some confidence in myself sometimes.  So I really appreciate your quick push for me!

I`m learning so much from all of you here at SuN, it`s really an honor to be in the presence of such knowledgeable and amazing people!

Thanks again!

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    June 19, 2007 10:34 AM EDT

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the kind comment. I appreciate it.

Yes, I gotta tune into the Big Idea Show.  Now, all I need to do is find the channel and time of their schedule!

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    June 19, 2007 4:07 PM EDT

Julie,

I`ve already set up my Tivo to record every episode.  Thanks!

To Craig, Cartess, houseofjerkyjanie, Degrees:

Here`s an update in case you guys wanna know....I already made contact with the artist who made the cool video with his white glove on YouTube. I asked him if he would be interested in a free SmudgeGuard in return for his feedback and maybe even wear my glove the next time he makes a video, and he wrote back to me and he AGREED! That is so generous and kind of him to help me.  

In addition, Cartess, I want to thank you too for being kind enough to help me with a video as well! 

I also want to thank Degrees too, for telling me about his experience with his Wacom. It really has sparked a new avenue for me to pursue. Thanks Degrees! 

I`m very grateful for ALL the kind support! Here`s a big hug to all!

Sincerely,

Jeannie Lit

Jeannie2007-6-19 21:9:44
    • 148 posts
    June 20, 2007 3:29 AM EDT

Yes, Craig...it COULD be a song! Hey, since you like to write, have you ever considered writing lyrics?

Kathy..Yes, I believe YouTube is the most economical way for me market my product now since I can`t afford the big advertising companies yet.  I think it`s even easier to target the right markets with YouTube as well because the other day, I posted one comment under the artist`s video about SmudgeGuard and it already generated an order for me.  

Kathy, thanks for the nice comment! I really appreciate it!

Jeannie

Jeannie2007-6-20 8:33:8
    • 148 posts
    June 20, 2007 12:01 PM EDT

That`s definitely a different perspective!  

• 148 posts
    July 18, 2007 8:10 AM EDT

Here`s an update in case you guys wanna know....I already made contact with the artist who made the cool video with his white glove on YouTube. I asked him if he would be interested in a free SmudgeGuard in return for his feedback and maybe even wear my glove the next time he makes a video, and he wrote back to me and he AGREED! That is so generous and kind of him to help me.  

In case you guys wanted to know the end result.. the great artist from the cool youtube video has made the second video with the SmudgeGuard on.  Here it is at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLEubvE5ZQ4

So, there`s really alot of kind and helpful people out in the world.  I`m very grateful to ALL who have helped me on this entrepreneurial journey.

Sincerely,

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    July 18, 2007 3:40 PM EDT

Dear Booklover, Martyvan, and Degrees,

Thanks for all your kind comments. I appreciate it!

Now, ever since Degrees mentioned "The Big Idea Show" by Donny, I`ve been hooked to that show!  I`ve been seeing every episode.  He and his guests give you so much inspiration! Next, I`m gonna write to Donny and tell him what I think about his show. Let`s see if he`ll be kind enough to write back to me!

Hi Rich!

Yes, I`m a home-based entrepreneur. Oh, by the way, it was great being on your radio show last Friday!  It was pretty exciting since I`ve never been on the radio before.  Alison was very nice too! Thanks for your great advice!

Sincerely,

Jeannie

Jeannie2007-7-18 20:43:39
    • 148 posts
    July 24, 2007 10:34 PM EDT

Hi Netmom,

Thanks for your great advice! I will be sure to hit them up for the type of stories they do next time. You are right, each inquiry is an opportunity.  Thanks for your nice comments too! I appreciate it!

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    July 25, 2007 9:23 AM EDT

Hi Kathy!

Thanks for the nice comment! But I really can`t take the credit for it at all.  The brilliant artist who created this video, Marco Martins, should be the one to get the loud applause! - But I will be sure to let him know your kind words.  Thanks!

Hey Cartess,

I hear your great advice loud and clear.  But I don`t know how to embed the youtube video into my own site.  That`s why I was only able to place a link instead. Is it easy to embed it?  Am I even using the term "embed" correctly? I thought only blogs can embed the videos.  Besides, if I embed it into my website, will it use alot of the bandwidth? As you can see, I don`t know much about this.  Your expert advice would be much appreciated!

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    July 25, 2007 3:16 PM EDT

Hey Cartess,

I embed the youtube video by myself! That was really simple! Thanks for teaching me!

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    July 26, 2007 7:09 AM EDT

Hi Steve!

You`re not late in the game at all! You and anyone else`s fine input is ALWAYS welcomed AND at anytime! I sure need all the expert advice, comments, suggestions and opinions that I can get. I can never say that I have enough!  

Steve, thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it!

Your SmudgeGuard is well on it`s way to making it to your doorstep!

Sincerely,

Jeannie Lit

• 148 posts
    July 26, 2007 1:06 PM EDT

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply to Craig! I really appreciate that! 

As for the name, even though it`s not the ideal name anymore, I have decided to stick with it because my trademark name, SmudgeGuard, has just passed and will be published next month. So I`m gonna stick by the original name. Besides, the name has become an enormous sentimental value to me, because my great supportive husband, was the one who created the wonderful name for my product. So in essence, I`m sticking with my husband`s cherished name.  

My hope now, is for people to recognize the name as a "brand name" and not just a name to describe it`s original function. I hope the word will spread that it`s much more than a protective glove to prevent smudges. I hope people will realize that SmudgeGuard (SG) keeps your hand clean AND as an added bonus, allows your hand to glide more easily on paper and/or tablets when writing or drawing.  

I also hope that once my customers know of SmudgeGuard, that they will take on the easier lingo name I gave it - SG!   (When writing letters to my customers, it`s easier for me to write "SG" instead of writing the whole word). My customers find it easy as well to use the abbreviation! 

So, it`s all good.

Jeannie

P.S. Jeff, you deserve another SG!  (Jeff happened to be my first customer who purchased from my website back in Nov. He`s been a great supporter ever since).  I`m gonna send you a PM.

• 148 posts
    July 26, 2007 4:18 PM EDT

Think of this, now that I`m pondering the concept of sweat: We do highly precise sewing, having had to invent some new techniques.

Craig, just curious...when you say the above, are you saying you sew? I`m a bit confused and just need some clarification.

Also, with the extending of the wrist area for carpal tunnel or even just for the artists who would like their wrist covered more, is a really good idea for an addition to my product line down the road. But I gotta wait for my business to be truly successful before I ponder those thoughts. I`m kinda out of funds now.  

But I will definitely keep it in my bag of tricks - for down the road.

Thanks!

Jeannie

Jeannie2007-7-26 21:19:49
    • 148 posts
    July 27, 2007 5:29 AM EDT

Now, ever since Degrees mentioned "The Big Idea Show" by Donny, I`ve been hooked to that show!  I`ve been seeing every episode.  He and his guests give you so much inspiration! Next, I`m gonna write to Donny and tell him what I think about his show. Let`s see if he`ll be kind enough to write back to me!

Guess what? Donny`s Audience Coordinator got back to me today.  I actually saw one of our other SuN members, Melissa of Story Book Studios in the studio audience in yesterday`s episode.  She got to ask Donny a question. So yesterday, I immediately asked Melissa how she got on his show and she just said to type "Show Tickets" on the email title and ask for tickets. So that`s what I did yesterday. 

Tip: They are still looking for more audience members to attend their last show (with an audience member included) this Tuesday July 31.  If you`re in the NJ/NY area, send them an email NOW.  They will accept it before 5pm today if you`re interested in being an audience member.

So I am proud to say that I will be one of his "Audience Members" this Tuesday.  Granted, it`s not a guest interview, but I`m still happy to be a part of his audience! I`ve become a big fan of his show!

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    August 4, 2007 6:41 PM EDT

Well...this is just for anyone who wants to know what happens at Donny`s show, "The Big Idea"...if you`re an audience member...

They feed you mango pizza, thai pizza, and other exotic named pizza, fresh fruit and cookies before the show actually starts. Which is nice. 

Then they tell you to sign a waiver of some sort. (I didn`t really read it). I drove an hour and 15 minutes to see his show..Of course, I`ll sign anything at that point.

Then they make you go to work by clapping your brains out!  I guess that`s why they feed you before hand, so that you`ll have enough energy to clap loud!

Donny is just as energized as he is on tv...but he did use some F words to get the audience comfortable and laughing.

Overall, it was a cool experience since I`ve never been to a tv show before.  But I don`t think I would want to attend as an audience member again.  But if..as a Guest? - Yeah, Definitely!

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    March 7, 2008 8:53 AM EST
    Hi Julie,

Yes, The Big Idea HAS been really good lately! Especially good because I see a fellow SUN member being on it! Her name is Leslie and she invented Grill Charms.  I am SOOO happy to see her becoming so successful! I`ve got to get in touch with her to see what kind of video she sent (whether VHS or just a 8 mm casette, etc.)

She`s really inspired me once again and I WANT TO BE ON THE BIG IDEA TOO! LOL

But to answer your question about SmudgeGuard, well...it`s doing well. I get business everyday and not bad - considering I`m still using grass roots marketing. I have two retailers under my inexperienced belt and I`ve just got to have more guts/balls to pound the pavement!

Thanks for asking Julie! I will try to send Donny a video soon!

-Jeannie

Jeannie3/7/2008 2:55 PM
    • 148 posts
    March 13, 2008 9:26 AM EDT
    Thanks for the kind words Besthealth!

As for Leslie, she just received a big retailer as a customer - just from being on the show!  =)So, even though she didn`t get the positive feedback from Bill Zanker....she got the needed publicity! =)

Jeannie

• 148 posts
    March 13, 2008 1:34 PM EDT
     If I ever do get on Donny, I`ll be sure to let you guys know! ;-)

Thanks Janie!

- Jeannie
    • 148 posts
    March 21, 2008 5:21 AM EDT
    Dale,
    Your encouragement is great! I will try!

Thanks!

Jeannie
    • 148 posts
    March 30, 2008 2:29 PM EDT
    Lisa,

I totally agree! Please give us little biz people the chance! ;-)

Jeannie