Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

My day at QVC - here’s what to expect...

• 40 posts
    April 6, 2007 10:56 AM EDT

Anyways, did any of you Mothers out there submit other ideas to the Good Morning America Mother`s of Invention search?  Just curious..this was a totally different deal, they are looking to own the patent rights to an "idea" and give the winner a % of the profits.  Anyone?

Hi Solved! 

I`m new too. 

We presented in Chicago.  My wife is the inventor, I get to tag along mostly to carry the boxes.  We saw the Good Morning America contest only after the fact.  There is no way she would give up FEASTers for a tiny slice.  She worked far too long and hard to give it away like that.

That scenerio might be attractive if the idea was going cost millions to develop and get to market and the inventing Mom would never get backing any other way.

The Good Morning America contest sounds more like a heavy handed venture capital deal.  I`ve seen some very good products pulled away from the inventors for a handful of change.  Either we believe in our dreams or we do not. 

Good luck!

---
    Cal Morris www.lastingweightloss.com

• 40 posts
    April 13, 2007 4:41 AM EDT

Some of the energy from the Oprah/QVC sessions surely has spilled onto this forum!  So many great ideas!

I don`t know if anyone else has experienced this, but our sales have bumped up since we presented, and we are not marketing at all right now.  In fact we planned to use this time to clean up the website and other little things that should be done but never seemed to come to the top of the pile, not expecting orders. 

Two weeks to go! 

---

• 40 posts
    April 13, 2007 5:57 AM EDT
    Cool.  Marketing is so diverse, many opportunities.  I`ll all for it.  What`s do we do?

---

• 40 posts
    April 13, 2007 11:46 AM EDT

Thank you.

You write a press release and there are ways to do this. Do a search online for the special format required. Send 4 x 6 photo`s and a cover letter. Yes I`m in LA and sent this off to the LA Times. A Great source for getting media contact`s is Bacon`s is now Cision. http://us.cision.com/

Best,
    Imi a.k.a Marvin
    www.iwantmyhelpinghands.com

Terrific resource.  Thanks. 

A couple of general tips:  When writing a press release make sure it doesn`t come across as an advertisement or blatant pitch.  If it does the editors will intercept it.  Just read some corporate releases to get the tone and language down, and keep it short.  And no typos! 

---

• 40 posts
    April 14, 2007 7:12 AM EDT

Hi liveandlearn,

I presented my game at the Chicago show, and I`m manufacturing in Hong Kong right now.  I`m about two weeks from putting in my first order for 6,000 units -- I`m just a little nervous!  

Mary Kay,

That`s a big step.  Good luck.

We are still using local vendors and have our own assembly operation.  Overseas is attractive but we can get the margins we want locally, mostly.  I`ve found that most vendors will negotiate.

Assembly is our bottle neck, but so far we`ve kept up.  If the QVC thing goes through we`ll have to hustle for a while.  Good problem to have. 

FEASTer2007-4-14 12:18:3

---

• 40 posts
    April 14, 2007 11:51 AM EDT

Just got quotes from my local vendors --  They came in 50% under our early production estimates.  We worked together to find the sweet spot for unit price vs quantity.

China is only slightly cheaper and with the 10 week lead time and shipping costs, well, Made In America makes sense in our case.  It can be done.

---

• 40 posts
    April 16, 2007 10:09 AM EDT

Chris, don`t give up! 

The more I`ve studied QVC the more I`m convinced that the finalists will be notified at roughly the same time everyone is notified, even with the narrow window for the May show.  They do this all the time, so it`s no big thing for them.  Ten or so finalists will be picked, if some of them can`t deliver, then the show goes on with seven or four or whatever. 

If that`s correct, no news at this point really is good news.

---

• 40 posts
    April 16, 2007 10:39 AM EDT

The TRUTH this time, Mary Kay.  I haven`t been notified either, wink wink.

Chris, how bad is the flooding?  Did you have to man the pumps? 

---

• 40 posts
    April 16, 2007 1:19 PM EDT

We understand, Mary Kay.  Better not say any more. 

Chris, yeah, I know floods.  Our basement flooded three times in ten months, taking a bunch of records and material with it.  My wife and I considered getting into the water damage mitigation business with all of our experience.  Finally a new super deep sump with pumps that would raise the Titanic took care of things.  Three 100 year rains in less than a year.  Oh boy.

---

• 40 posts
    April 17, 2007 2:55 AM EDT
    Good luck with that too, Greg!  Could be a double winner.

---

• 40 posts
    April 17, 2007 6:25 PM EDT

10 sleeps - we`re counting on 2 hands now!!

That`s good news.  I can put my shoes back on finally. 

---

• 40 posts
    April 18, 2007 11:02 AM EDT
    Oh no, something else to worry about!  Not only didn`t we get a password, our judge really worked hard to make sure we couldn`t see what she was writing on our folder. 

---

• 40 posts
    April 19, 2007 3:47 PM EDT

Not too long ago, a wonderful mentor of mine spoke these words to me ...

Hearing lots of "no`s" is good.  You get stronger with each one.  And for every "no" you hear, just remember that you`re that much closer to "yes". 

Mary Kay,

My version of that is that life only has so many "No"s.  When they are used up, that`s it.  Everything that follows has to be "Yes".  So the more "No"s and the faster they come, the better. 

---

• 40 posts
    April 19, 2007 6:14 PM EDT

FEASTer,

My kids would like your quote better .. it`s quicker to "yes"!

Thanks.

---

• 40 posts
    April 21, 2007 7:34 AM EDT

OK,

Now I am completely confused. 

Since I haven`t heard anything, I prefer to believe that the good news is coming April 27th.

If I had heard, I would feel differently.

---

• 40 posts
    April 21, 2007 8:19 AM EDT

Go Benihana! 

The website will be a plus.  Let me know when you`re ready to start seeding the search engines.  I have some tips.

Changing lives is why we`re in it.  When we were picking domain names, I couldn`t believe the lastingweightloss.com was just sitting out there unclaimed.  Says a lot about the weight loss industry.  I`ve learned that most programs make their living selling the idea of weight loss, and hence they thrive in business when the long-term success rate is so terribly low.  People have been trained to accept the blame for their failure.  Kind of a metaphor for life maybe.

Anyway, we`re out to change the world, too.

FEASTer2007-4-21 13:20:2

---

• 40 posts
    April 25, 2007 3:35 AM EDT

Mary Kay,

Heh.  Better to stay awake than have dreams like that! 

---

• 40 posts
    April 26, 2007 9:01 AM EDT

Good luck everyone!  It`s been fun waiting together.

---

• 40 posts
    April 27, 2007 2:55 AM EDT

According to Oprah`s show yesterday, the finalists will appear on next Thursday`s live program.  Can`t imagine that they waited until today to notify the winners, but hey, that would really make things spontaneous. 

Good luck to all of us!

---

• 40 posts
    April 27, 2007 9:38 AM EDT
    Just got the bad news, 2:23 PM Eastern.  Good luck to the finalists!  Did anyone here make it?

---

• 40 posts
    April 27, 2007 9:50 AM EDT

My email said that "the finalists have been notified".  Needless to say, I was not among them. 

Back to direct marketing plans!   

---

• 40 posts
    April 27, 2007 1:44 PM EDT

The Finalists will appear next Thursday.  Is that the 3rd of May?  Thursday whatever the date is. 

---

• 40 posts
    April 27, 2007 4:50 PM EDT
    Personally I`m glad this is over.  Time to get back to work.  I really didn`t like the idea of giving QVC half of the pie.  I would have done it, but this is better in the long run.

---

• 40 posts
    April 28, 2007 4:39 AM EDT

I wonder why the emails took so long to reach everyone.  And it looks like they were looking for fashion items and cooking stuff. 

Well, good luck to the Finalists, whoever they are.

---

• 40 posts
    April 28, 2007 5:28 AM EDT

Janedoe,

That`s great!  Sell a ton!

---