Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

My day at QVC - here’s what to expect...

• 11 posts
    March 27, 2007 9:29 AM EDT

Hey guys we just came back from our presentation(well flew back last night). So here is a quick overview of what happened.Because of the rules I do have to leave out our products ,but what I can tell you is that you eat it on food.LOL. Anyhow here it goes.

We arrived around 3 p.m. yesterday for our 4p.m. appointment. (Everyone that we met from QVC were a class act. )We were told to go through the first line that lead to a video. This video showed what you need to do to present your product. Next we waited in the next line to register. Being that we were a food product our wait was very minimal after our registration. Our next step was to setup our table with our presentation. We had 2 other women with products next to us. Both were ahead of us. My fiancee` and I carefully watched while the QVC rep listened and wrote down information about their products. Each of the ladies with their products had about 10 minutes a piece with the QVC rep. Next it was our turn. She picked up our folder and proceeded to read over our information.  The rep then walked up shook my hand and I showed her my pearly whites and upbeat attitude(throughout our presentation) . She said "Well it looks as if you have ____ Sauce. I said yes. behind our products were the awards that we had recieved for them from World Known events (we placed 2nd in the world out of over 600 products). The Qvc rep asked why I did this and  I said "Because this is my passion, what I wake up for, and for my family to have a future. So you wake up and love ___ Sauce? she said." Yes   , and I love the way that the wood smells in the morning when it is burning(this obviously has something to do with my product), I replied. I asked what else she would like to know and she said "All I need to know is about your passion and what it means to you, and both are very evident!  She went on to say that it would be difficult to push my product through, but not impossible. She had pushed another food product through and now its doing incredible. She also asked about pricing, where it was sold, and what their cost was. After this I asked her if she would like to sample it. She could not sample it on food, so we gave her a disposable spoon to try it. I opened the jar she took a huge whif, and tasted it. A smile came to her face and she said that it was excellent. Then said that what she liked the most was the sweetness that it had to it. I offered her an order of events for our products, and she that she would not need it now, but   in a few weeks when they contact me and she stopped herself and said if  we choose your products then we will ask for all of your info. I thanked her she thanked us and wrote a number three at the top right hand corner of our folder and circled it. So now my question is What does the Number 3 Mean?  Somebody please let me know any thoughts and possibly what it means. Thanks and if I can offer any input let me know.

Have a great day.

P.S. Our presentation lasted 20 minutes a bit longer than normal.

• 11 posts
    March 30, 2007 6:41 AM EDT

Hey Gals, great to hear that you had a safe trip . Did anyone remember if a number was written on their folder?I still haven`t found out what this is for. Anyhow I wish all of you the best. P.S. I am auditioning to be a QVC host on the 13th of April. So wish me luck. I`ll have pictures up soon!

Have a great guys and gals1

Maurice

• 11 posts
    March 30, 2007 7:49 AM EDT

Hey guys (gals) that makes since the number represents the category. I am new to the forum. Its a great one too! Everyone is so upbeat. I would love to send everyone samples (in this forum) if you would like them. Everyone`s products are fantastic (by the pics and ideas)! to give a little run down of myself(soon to be in my profile)I am an Executive Chef by trade, apprenticed under 2 seperate chefs, and also have my BA in Business Management/Logistics. Crazy huh? I chose to go another direction after graduation because of my love for food. My company has been slow to start, because I did not want the snowball effect to happen. I currently am in 90 stores in Northern California, and Nevada , and believe it without a website.Anyhow I have given all that I have to make my sauces . I have 3 sauces right now with 30 more recipes standing in line. We took 4th in the world at The American Royal Bbq in Kansas City and the following year 2nd. This contest is known as "The World Series of Bbq". Anyhow I will post my profile and pics soon, as it takes a bit of time to do. I wish all of you the best of luck. As they say" Everyone has a dream , and this one is mine!"   

• 11 posts
    March 30, 2007 8:16 AM EDT
    Don`t get me wrong I am still on the tough road, so it`ll take some time to be in the big stores, but we`ll keep knocking on that door. So how do I get samples of everyones products?
    • 11 posts
    March 30, 2007 12:52 PM EDT

Hey IMI , I was asked how much my product cost, and no questions about packaging etc. As with dippychick, my packaging is complete, with UPC`s , manufacturer, etc I have a 1million 2 million aggregate policy as well as an unmbrella with our manufacturers.. We are all in line and ready. I also have 2 manufacturers in Cali, and told my judge that I can get one in PA as well (she had a big smile after that). So gather what you will from that as far as a number system from 1 to 5. We could spend all day guessing, but we might never know. It sounds like all went well for all and I hope and pray that one of us can get in after  all of our hard work!

With regards,

Maurice (Benihana)

• 11 posts
    April 4, 2007 2:57 PM EDT
    Hey guys , i had forgotten one detail, I was filmed and asked some questions by the cameraman ,but again that could mean anything. I believe (from what was said to me) that the people who make it to the next round will  be told in the next 2 weeks. Can`t tell you how I know, but I believe that to be about 95% for sure. 
    • 11 posts
    April 21, 2007 7:23 AM EDT
    Hey guys lets understand something. I have been on Network tv, and taping can be saved for the last minute. When Oprahs last taping is the first (to ) the 2nd week of May, there is still plenty of time.When a tv show says we need you , you dont walk YOU RUN!You have to be ready at a moments notice. Your products have to be ready..... yes..... at a moments notice. Only products that have the steps already taken (marketing , packaging, etc.) will be pushed forward (actually I should say the ones that QVC is interested in). To hear that they have narrowed it down to 30 is a bit ahead of its time. I would say that this week it will be narrowed down. EVERY PERSON at QVC that I have spoke to(even my judge which is a buyer lol, has not released one itty bitty bit about this competition. Except for the fact that they have narrowed down finalists by regions and were going through the next steps of narrowing down by products, demograpic etc.Final decisions are this coming week It won`t be released until this week. So unless you have pertinent info from a GREAT SOURCE? i would say its best that we wait it out and still believe that anyone of us have a chance! Trust me I am not upset about this , it just amazes me how one comment can make everyone throw in the towel,(well kinda) If it is so then great and good luck to those 30, but I highly doubt that. GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND KEEP THAT HEAD UP! 
    • 11 posts
    April 21, 2007 7:56 AM EDT

RIGHT ON FEASTER AND POO.(cant remember the poporri thing lol) that does sound strange. I dont have my website yet, but it is in the works. My background (just to fill you in) is with food products, cant list because QVC could be monitoring this board, it is possible that if there is any communication about any finalists on here, that they may disqualify that finalist(s). Anyhow we placed very high(in top 5) in the world 2 years in a row in our field. Told this to the judge, had  a long demo, she tasted our product and lit up. We were one of her last appts for the day. We can all ponder, but FEASTER is right unitl we know we dont! I also have a new business in the works right now. I have already registered the domain name  so I can tell you that . its called On Call Chefs.com. You can probably figure out what it is about, but the idea will blow your minds away! I have done a poor mans patent on it and going through the right channels for my patent, looking for investors etc. GOD I WISH I HAD THIS WHEN I WENT TO MY DEMO AT OPRAH/QVC. Anyhow know any investors that want to change peoples lives as we know it for the better?

Remember what Donny Deutsch said"If you can come up with an idea that will change lives as we know it for the better, then you will be incredibly successful!  

• 11 posts
    April 27, 2007 8:16 AM EDT
    Hey guys, I received to phone /calls one after the other, but my privacy manager took into effect so I could not see who the number was. I am on the west coast and the calls were at 11:37 a.m. QVC time. Dont know if it was them . , have not received email yet either. So GOOD LUCK ALL!
    • 9 posts
    April 22, 2007 5:13 PM EDT

Hi. 

I met with the Oprah/QVC team in L.A. on March 26th and have been following everybody`s messages here at SUN.  I have not heard anything and while I try not to think about it, it does cross my mind often.

I was a finalist in a reality t.v. show and before they selected the first round, we were given a time when we would be notified. I heard about 10 days before that deadline, at 8 p.m. L.A. time and was told not to say anything or I would be disqualified. 

I went through the remaining auditions and was again, given deadlines for notification.  The time came and went and I was not selected.

I don`t know how this process works, but I am hoping that even if some of us don`t make it on to Oprah, that QVC will still be interested in our products! 

I will cross my fingers for everyone and hope to hear something this week!

Good luck!

Betsy

• 9 posts
    April 23, 2007 4:56 AM EDT

Hi Melissa,

Thank you so much for the lead!  Actually, I have a MLB license application pending and I hope to hear from them soon!

My logoed apparel line was what I presented to the Oprah/QVC group...high-end accessories and apparel for fashion-forward sports fans who want to show their team spirit IN STYLE!  They seemed very interested in the NFL line and I met with three people that day.  I`m still crossing my fingers!

Your line is really cute and I bet it`s doing well!  I particularly like the packaging!!  Did you design that yourself?

I would think that would be a great birthday party idea for children...maybe you should apply for a NBA, NFL or MLB  license, so little guys can put their team logos on their stuff, too!!

Thanks again for the lead!

Betsy

• 9 posts
    April 23, 2007 6:49 PM EDT

Four more "sleeps"....that`s someone here said about counting down for the word from Oprah/QVC! 

If you hear, please share the news asap...good, bad or otherwise!!

• 9 posts
    April 27, 2007 4:18 AM EDT

I hate to admit this, but I could not sleep all night!  The suspense is killing me! I have to believe that SOMEONE here will get on!!  Fess up!

If you do hear something, please share the news!

Good luck!

(And, I happen to be FREE next Thursday!....Just in case!)

• 9 posts
    April 27, 2007 5:15 AM EDT

12?  Is that Eastern, Central, or Pacific time???  

• 9 posts
    April 27, 2007 9:20 AM EDT

Melissa,

I`ll vote for you, too!

Good luck!

Betsy

• 9 posts
    April 28, 2007 3:38 PM EDT

Hi Janedoe,

I am a vendor for a company called GSI Commerce who handles websites for many large companies...NFLshop.com, MLBshop.com, KateSpade.com, to name a few.  To become a vendor, they require your ability to drop ship within 48 hours of someone placing the order.  What it means is that you must have inventory and the ability to ship directly to the consumer.

They also ask about EDI capability, which as someone else already said, is an expensive process because you need the equipment, software and there is a monthly fee.  Plus,  you either need someone on staff or an IT person who is familiar with EDI.  EDI is the processing center for the actual order and is useful for vendors with high sales volume.

GSI only requires EDI if they/you anticipate high volume immediately.  If not, they will email you orders as they come in to process, in-house.

Hope that helps!  We just went through it and had to learn all about it!

Betsy

• 9 posts
    April 28, 2007 3:39 PM EDT

Have you heard anything yet????  HOW FRUSTRATING!  Sorry!

• 9 posts
    April 30, 2007 4:19 PM EDT

Melissa,

Sorry you didn`t make it!  But let`s hope we all get calls next month from QVC!

Lots of great products here!!

• 40 posts
    April 4, 2007 7:42 AM EDT

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I presented at the March 23rd session.  Our experience was positive, but a couple of things I noted that no one else has mentioned. 

I`d say at least 15% of the entries were clearly commerical products and the presenters were just dealers or distributers.  A lady at the end of our row with one such product lasted less than a minute with her judge.

I also noticed a few who freaked out and left without presenting. 

One last thing, from what I read on the QVC website, potential finalists will be contacted before April 27 and have to submit legal proof to back up their applications.  Surely many finalists won`t be able to pass muster, and then QVC will keep going until they have ten finalists or give up.

The survivors will appear on a show in May, giving the winner the summer to get enough product together. 

One scary thought, our cost is about $20 a unit.  If QVC requires 100,000 units that`s $2M!!!!  That will sure drain the piggy bank. 

This is a great discussion, thanks to everyone for sharing, and good luck to everyone! 

Cal Morris

www.lastingweightloss.com

---
    Cal Morris www.lastingweightloss.com

• 40 posts
    April 4, 2007 10:42 AM EDT

In the rules posted they will notifiy the "potential finalists" within 5 days of determination by QVC officials.  I take it that means anytime between now and April 27th. 

The video shown to attendees left me with the impression that everyone would be notified either way on the 27th, but the rules section doesn`t support that, and it makes sense.  Why get someone on the show potentially to win who can`t produce or has some legal snag not evident in the first screening? 

I keep nosing around, looking for anyone saying that they have been contacted, and so far, nothing.  Another guess is that the first contacts will be made late this week and into next week.  As soon as ten entries make Oprah and QVC happy, that`s all she wrote. 

Of course it is possible the rules are written to give them a lot of wiggle room.  The five day thing strikes me as odd, how would we possibly know when the choices are made? 

And the Oprah show is slated for May but no firm date has been given.  I came away with the impression that this wouldn`t happen until the fall, and the QVC appearance after that by 90 days.  Not the case it seems. 

It`s hard typing with crossed fingers!

Cal Morris

FEASTer2007-4-4 15:48:43

---

• 40 posts
    April 4, 2007 11:17 AM EDT

DipLady,

Spooky!  Hope it`s all good for you.  QVC is kind of in its own world, but TV viewership spikes in September.  That is when I would guess they would schedule a featured spot like this one.

But maybe August is when they get their spike.

My guess is they don`t look at all 5000 folders.  Whatever grading system they use as we are judged will preen out most of the entries.  The final panel will see only the "5"s.  Kind of like readers screening what gets to the editor. 

So if 10% are "5"s, that leaves 500 in play.  Still a lot, but manageable. 

I`ve been thinking about this way too much.

Spent the afternoon talking with my suppliers.  They are pumped!  So far no snags on a 90 day delivery window.

Cal Morris

---

• 40 posts
    April 4, 2007 12:53 PM EDT

That`s reassuring.  I can`t imagine QVC will demand a seven figure inventory.  Maybe that`s why the winner gets the usual 8 minute pitch spot instead of a longer one. 

Thanks!

---

• 40 posts
    April 4, 2007 1:06 PM EDT

I don`t think Oprah has done this with QVC before.  She did do the Million Dollar Idea Challenge described here:

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200310/tows_past_2003103 0.jhtml

From what I`ve read, Harpo had over 10,000 product ideas that came in over the transom over the years and they decided to make a show around them.  Oprah`s staffers dug through them until they were down to fifty or so (I`ve seen different numbers in print).  Finally seven made in on the air. 

I get the feeling that it really buried Oprah`s staff.  In Chicago on the 23rd Oprah`s people were sort of drifting around, chatting with the QVCers, and keeping their roles pretty light.  Another guess, they will get involved to sift through the final choices after QVC decides which ones can deliver the goods. Much more the human interest side that will appeal to Oprah`s viewers.

This lets QVC and Harpo make the best use of their particular talents.

Of course I could be dead wrong.   

---

• 40 posts
    April 4, 2007 6:52 PM EDT

Maybe this is a better interpretation.  The five day thing is protection for QVC in the event they can`t reach a potential finalist on or around April 27th.  During the orientation they really leaned on the late April date for notification.  Guess we`ll know when we know. 

Good luck to us all!

---

• 40 posts
    April 5, 2007 3:53 AM EDT

Just to throw more speculation in the mix... The Oprah season wraps in May so they will definately have to notify, contact, prep, and shoot befor the season wraps. That is why I think the winners will hear relatively soon so they can get all of their due dilligence done and still have time to tape.

That really makes the most sense.  Benihana heard that the winners will hear in "2 weeks", using the last show as a starting point, that`s the middle of April.  Makes sense to pool the top candidates from all of the shows. 

Oh well.

---