Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Grab Bag

Selling imported products in the U.S.

• 990 posts
    March 25, 2009 2:25 AM EDT
    be aware of trademark and copyright and patent issues - double check before you ship.

---
    James Lindon, Ph.D. Patent Attorney
    Lindon & Lindon, LLC
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Pharmacy Law, Litigation
    [this is not legal advice - provided for discussion only]
    Intellectual Property for the Individual and Small Business: Identify, Protect, Enforce, Defend.
    "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
    http://www.LindonLaw.com

• 15 posts
    April 7, 2009 11:57 PM EDT
    hi infilta,

The only legal requirements to opening an import business are having an importer of record number, which is usually just the business`s tax-identification number, and a surety bond to protect the U.S. government if you can`t pay your duties, taxes and other fees. Surety bonds are required for all entries where the shipment is valued at more than $2,000, but are used on smaller shipments also. They can be purchased through a surety company or a customs broker. There are single-entry bonds that cover one entry.  Unless you intend to only import once or twice a year I would recommend that you buy a continuous bond.  Continuous bonds cover all your import shipments for a year or longer.

---
    Rebelpreneur

• 90 posts
    March 23, 2009 4:50 PM EDT
    Hello, I have a question. Say I want to sell some imported product in the U.S. (an electric appliance). Do I need to get any type of certification for it here in the States?
    • 32 posts
    March 24, 2009 5:30 AM EDT
    If its not food or beverage related you dont need any certification or license to conduct business in the US.  Depending on how you setup the business, the best advice will be to register your business for tax purposes.
    • 3 posts
    February 2, 2014 8:34 PM EST

I plan to import textiles and furniture ( wood and iron) .

Question

Where should i get retailers.. I am not sure if any one will entertain me if i walk in and give the proposal to see my product..

Would appreciate suggestion on what to get from the manufacturer and how to start marketning to get customes( retailers)

Thanks

A