Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Building a Website that Works

How do I create a Membership Website?

• 22 posts
    November 7, 2006 3:03 PM EST
    To answer some of your questions:
    • You don`t need a server. You can just get web hosting somewhere to host your website and they take care of the actual hardware. You take care of the web content and database if any. You can consider buying a server if things get serious and you need the full control.
    • Yes you`ll probably have to program or code it. You should look it content managment systems like drupal, joomla, and xoop.  They are  "membership/community" based systems that you can install on your website and configure a lot of it through a web interface without having to code too much.
    • And if you have money, of course you can buy it somewhere or get someone to build it.... :)
    We actually just implemented one using drupal core with heavy customization:  http://spotthegroove.com

Any questions, let me know. Good luck!
    -Brandon

---
    Brandon Eng, Owner, Lead Studios

Play sports? Find other Toronto players @ www.sportaholik.com

• 22 posts
    November 8, 2006 3:20 PM EST
    I prefer Drupal as well. Its quite powerful and with all the add on modules, you can do quite a bit without having to do much coding. On the flip side, you can also customize, expand and do just about anything you want if you do want to code around the drupal core.

As for cost, here`s a breakdown You can probably find deals around to save you more $$ so its just approximate.
    • $10 for domain name/year
    • Say $10-30 a month for web hosting depending on what kind of package you are looking at
    • When you look for hosting, look for one that provides "cpanel" or something similar. Basically its a powerful web interface that allows you to control many aspects of your web server, including installing things like Drupal, bulletin boards and other software all via web console. Makes things a little easier if you aren`t too familiar with some of the techincal details.
    • Biggest cost will probably be your time and learning that you`ll need to do but that`s the norm when you are just starting out.
    Brandon

---

• 22 posts
    November 9, 2006 1:20 PM EST
    Not familiar with Freehostia but had a quick look at their site. They support php and mysql database so it should be okay. It sounds like your install isn`t configured correctly.  When you extracted drupal, there are a few text files "install.txt" and "install.mysql.txt" that you need to refer to to tell you how to install drupal and setup the database to connect to. There`s also a database script (in the /database folder) that you also have to run after you`ve created the database. This will load the default values to get the default drupal running.

As for Bluehost, its pretty good. Haven`t had any issues with them so far. The drupal site that we just implemented is hosted on it right now.

The one WYSIWYG editor for drupal that I have used is "TinyMCE". It can be found here http://drupal.org/project/Modules

You`ll also see lots of other modules that you can add on to your site. But of course you need to get the thing running first before you start to add modules! :)

---

• 22 posts
    November 9, 2006 4:29 PM EST
    You are on the right track. No worries though, its not the easiest when just starting out.

The settings.php file is key:

username:password@localhost/databasename

When you created the drupal database, I assume you also created a mysql user that has permissions to access the database. That is the username:password you need to put. Leave localhost as is.

Also in the settings.php file, look for a line "base_url" or something like that. You need to uncomment it and put the path to your drupal installation since you didn`t put it in your root. So something like http://www.website.com/drupal

Its even more difficult sometimes when trying on a hosting server since you don`t have the same control as you would if you were working on your own computer. 

What I do is actually have websites running on my computer, fully functional by  creating everything locally, that is run my own web server and database. That way I can edit the files on the fly and test things without having to work off a hosting server. Maybe I`ll start a thread on that later.

---

• 22 posts
    November 10, 2006 7:21 AM EST
    The usename/password you use to log in (i assume to phpmyadmin) shouldn`t be used as the username/password for the drupal database. That one is the "root" password to access phpmyadmin to manage your mysql dbs and for security, should only be used for such.

You may have already done this but when you are in phpmyadmin, you need to create a new database. Should be a button/menu item to do it. Database name is up to you.

Once that is done, create a new user and set password. When you create the user you will then specify what database they are assigned to and what permissions they have. Here is where you assign the new user to your drupal database and assign the appropriate permissions (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX, ALTER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES)

Once that is done, you then need to run the sql script from drupal to load the default values into the new drupal database you just created. When you select the new drupal database you created to manage, there is an IMPORT button or something like that. Use that to import the mysql data text file.

Change the settings in the settings.php file to match what you have done....and now hopefully it will all work....

---

• 23 posts
    November 7, 2006 6:16 AM EST
    Hey! What`s up guys?

I`m actually quite a novice at creating websites. Its a shame really, I can only create the simple functional ones.

Anyway, I`m just wondering what the prerequisites/components
    are for a membership website, aside from members of course.

Thanks!

---
    Dimitri Roleda, dimitriroleda@gmail.com

• 23 posts
    November 7, 2006 2:47 PM EST
    The one I`m intending to create is somewhat similar to this website we`re in: each member has a profile, and they have to have one in order to gain access to the forums and/or other resources in the site.

What I need to know is the technical stuff behind this kind of website `cause I know nothing about it.

Like:
    • Can I run this from home?
    • Do I really need to buy a server?
    • Do I have to program or code this myself or can I buy this somewhere?
    And any other information you can give me...Thanks!

---

• 23 posts
    November 7, 2006 11:06 PM EST
    Thanks for the info! But then which of these three (Drupal, Joomla, Xoop) is the most:
    • User friendly?
    • Easy to manage?
    • Reliable?
    Or does anyone have other suggestions? I am a novice at this after all so I need the simplest one to use

By the way, how much money does it take to create this kind of a website? Not including the costs of marketing and all that, just the actual cost of creating the website and getting it to operate.

Thanks!

---

• 23 posts
    November 9, 2006 3:06 AM EST
    Okay I`ve gotten Drupal and I have extracted it and installed it, but the thing is when I try to do the "www.yourdomain.com/where_you_extracted_Drupal" part I can`t see anything. The only thing I see is a big fat Internal Server Error message.

What does this mean? Does this have anything to do with the fact that I`m practicing using FreeHostia.com? I am confused hahahaha..

I`m thinking about using BlueHost.com when I go official, is that advisable?

btw RichardBuggy, where can I get that WYSIWYG editor?

---

• 23 posts
    November 9, 2006 2:36 PM EST
    I`m not sure what I did wrong though..
    • I extracted the drupal.tr.gz into /www/mydomain.com/drupal
    • I went to the MySQLDatabase and created an account on PhpMyAdmin
    • The database extracted into my account in PhpMyAdmin
    • I configured the settings.php in /sites/default
    Must be in the values I put in the settings.php `cause I wasn`t sure about the username:password@localhost/databasename part.

Is the username and password there the same one I use to log into my admin account or is it the one I use to log into PhpMyAdmin? Also about that local host thing, how do I find out what my local host is?

Oh yeah, and does the fact that I have an index.html in my root folder have any effect on this? Is drupal supposed to be in the /www/mydomain.com/ or is it okay that I put it in the /www/mydomain.com/drupal/?

I suck hahahaha!
    youdontknowme2006-11-9 20:38:56

---

• 23 posts
    November 9, 2006 5:22 PM EST

That`s what I did but there`s this part that just keeps on bugging me:

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX,
         ALTER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES
         ON databasename.*
         TO
    `username`@`localhost` IDENTIFIED BY `password`;

Every time I do it I get Error #1044..It keeps on sayng that I don`t have permission blahblahblah. I`m pretty sure the info I put in were all correct but it keeps on saying that I don`t have permission.

---

• 23 posts
    November 10, 2006 3:03 AM EST
    It`s weird actually.

I log in with the same username and password that I type into the
    TO `username`@`localhost` IDENTIFIED BY `password` but it always comes out as error #1044 where it says I`m not authorized.

How do you guys set up a MySQL database? Maybe I`m doing something wrong or something..

---

• 23 posts
    November 11, 2006 7:50 AM EST
    All right, will do 

Thanks for all the help! I`ll post as soon as I encounter any problems..

---

• 7 posts
    March 16, 2013 3:58 PM EDT

Choosing the right CMS will really depend on your overall goals. Take a moment and think about what you plan to accomplish with the site in 5 years from now. Jumping into one CMS without any research on the others is a fatal move. You don't want to spend months, if not years building out a site, then come to find out that a small pivot in your business now requires you to rebuild the entire system on a new CMS.

Just about every open source CMS software provides a membership function. That's easy. It really comes down to how complex your site will become. Don't think tomorrow, always think 5 years ahead.

wordpress.org is great for plugin and go, so is drupal.org, but Drupal can get very complex, very fast if you get too carried away with new features. Drupal is great if you know a little about development and have people around to give a helping hand.

Possibilities are virtually endless with Drupal so as long as you use it correctly. You can really scale with Drupal in ways you probably can't even imagine. This is a nice fall safe in knowing you have the right CMS.

Let's not forget Drupal's new version, Drupal 8. I have personally tested and it's nice! If you think Wordpress is good, just wait. Drupal 8 is going to be so easy, even your Great Grandmother will think so.

---
    Joe from citeads.com - FREE classifieds for businesses

• 7 posts
    September 15, 2012 10:15 AM EDT

Thanks for the info! But then which of these three (Drupal, Joomla, Xoop) is the most:
    • User friendly?
    • Easy to manage?
    • Reliable?
    Or does anyone have other suggestions? I am a novice at this after all so I need the simplest one to use

By the way, how much money does it take to create this kind of a website? Not including the costs of marketing and all that, just the actual cost of creating the website and getting it to operate.

Thanks!

-------------------------

You fail to include wordpress, anyhow Joomla is what I most prefer because of it flexibility. It can be very pain in the ass at first but after sometimes you will love it because of its flexibility and features.

Joomla is an open source, no cost to spare at all,buying a template would cost around 30$ to 50$ depends, if its a company template but if its listing or directory website it will cost around 99$ to hundred not included the extension which majority you can use the free one.

---
    Customized Email Platform & Mobile Websites Available at 99$ each Contact Me

• 3 posts
    November 18, 2006 5:16 PM EST

This is something you might want to check out. You can create your own website and have it hosted for a very low price.

http://www.freedom.ws/mbrashad/show_dvd

• 3 posts
    March 17, 2009 8:32 AM EDT
    I use Drupal but for many sites WordPress will suffice. It`s allot easier to customize and can easily be used as a CMS.

As for Drupal login, if your database was created automatically the user id for log in is probably "admin".

I think the most important factor is the host that you choose. I use Bluehost, they have great customer support and very good pricing. They also have a cPanel with Simple Scripts.
    iBoomer3/17/2009 2:30 PM
    • 57 posts
    November 8, 2006 11:53 AM EST

Hi youdontknowme

My preference is for Drupal. It seems to be the most flexible of the lot. You`ll probably want to install a couple of add-ons (like the WYSIWYG editor). I`m using it for my next site www.webdevtv.com (yes, I`m running a little late on producing the content).

Rich

---
    Blog - http://www.buggy.id.au/

• 57 posts
    November 8, 2006 3:50 PM EST
    You might also want to allocate some money for the site design and turning it into a Drupal template. The best way to save money here is to think about what you want the site to look like before you visit a web designer/developer. When you approach them try to provide examples of layouts and color schemes that you like (or hate). The better the brief you give them the faster they can do your design/template and the cheaper it will be.

---

• 57 posts
    November 10, 2006 12:42 AM EST

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX,
         ALTER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES
         ON databasename.*
         TO
    `username`@`localhost` IDENTIFIED BY `password`;

I`d be suprised if this worked. Every hosting company I`ve ever used requires you to create MySQL users using your admin control panel. Try looking in the control panel (probably the same place you created the database) for somewhere to create a user and associate it with the database.

---

• 57 posts
    November 10, 2006 12:43 AM EST

btw RichardBuggy, where can I get that WYSIWYG editor?

http://drupal.org/project/tinymce

---

• 747 posts
    March 14, 2009 1:19 AM EDT
    www.subhub.com is a great platform for creating a membership based website. No HTML coding needed.

A bit pricey @ $97/month.

---
    Web Design | Best Beef Jerky | ecommerce articles | Follow vwebworld on Twitter

• March 13, 2009 2:17 PM EDT
    There are alot of ways to creating a membership/subscription based website. I own and operate 6 website that are membership based. The easy tool i have found is the subhub platform. It lets you create a membership website extremely fast and with no knowledge of HTML coding. It also lets you add in allot of other useful tools like newsletters, e-commerce, add sense etc. It also hase a fully integrated payment processor. 
    sitesubscriptionxprt873/13/2009 8:18 PM
  • March 13, 2009 2:23 PM EDT
    www.subhub.com is a great platform for creating a membership based website. No HTML coding needed.
    • 234 posts
    November 7, 2006 6:18 AM EST
    Let`s start with content. A reason to become a member.