Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Marketing

SEO Myth: Google Does Not Count "Nofollow" Links

• 13 posts
    November 10, 2011 2:07 AM EST

NoFollow links are imperative to any link building campaign. It may not provide as much "juice" towards a site, but Google certainly notices them.:)

Christian Book Stores

---
    Christian Book Stores

• 857 posts
    September 22, 2011 8:04 AM EDT

I just read a thread on another forum where the original poster is absoultely convinced that forum signatures are usless because Google doesn't count "Nofollow" links. He's dead wrong, of course. But before I explain why he's wrong, let me give you a little background on Nofollow links.

The NoFollow tag was introduced by Google in 2005, as a way to prevent spammers from acquiring a ton of easy, valuable backlinks, by simply posting totally useless comments on blogs. In addition, people would also spam forums for the sole purpose of acquiring inbound links via their signature file. As a consequence of Nofollow, everyone simply assumed, Google would no longer count these links. They assumed wrong.

Any competent SEO expert will tell you, Google looks suspiciously at sites that have an unbalanced ratio of Dofollow links to Nofollow. Why? Because it's an unnatural linking pattern that's why. It's also a huge red flag! Google prefers a healthy combination of both Dofollow and Nofollow links. So contrary to popular belief, Nofollow links do add to a site’s overall link profile, as well as its ability to rank for keyword phrases.

But you shouldn't be posting on forums for the backlinks anyway; that's both short-sighted and foolish. Your purpose for joining forums should be to learn, as well as contribute value to the forums. Learn and contribute value.

If you do that, you will be rewarded ten-fold. I promise you!

David Jackson

---
    Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
    Free-Marketing-Tips-Blog.com Follow me on Twitter @FreeMarkTips

• 857 posts
    September 23, 2011 3:25 AM EDT

Hi David,

Very informative post.  If forum links are not too valuable what are the best backlinking practices.

What are the top 3 methods to create White Hat backlinks?

Hi Dave,

Thank you. You read my post, but I don't think you understood it. I clearly stated, forum backlinks DO have SOME value in the eyes of Google. In fact, posting on forums is one of my best and most effective linkbuilding strategies; along with article marketing and posting quality, relevant content to my blog regularly.

But as I stated in my original post, you shouldn't be here for the backlinks anyway.

David Jackson

---

• 857 posts
    September 26, 2011 3:03 AM EDT

Hi David, it's very interesting what you say about backlinks and the value of nofollow links, but I'm curious too about what you consider to be other valuable backlinking practices. What are your top ways of getting links?

Hi Terry,

I've already answered that question. It's right above your post.

David Jackson

---

• 857 posts
    September 26, 2011 3:05 AM EDT

Good post. 

Thanks for taking the time to read it.

David Jackson

---

• 857 posts
    September 27, 2011 3:28 AM EDT

Thanks for the post. I've also thought about this and would agree that no follow's are still good links. Would you go as far as saying links on facebook are good as well, even if they are not being shared, looked at or commented on??

The answer to your question is yes...every link has some value; unless it's from a linkfarm or spam. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

David Jackson

---

• 857 posts
    October 20, 2011 10:59 AM EDT

It's very interesting what you say about backlinks and the value of nofollow links, but I'm curious too about what you consider to be other valuable backlinking practices. :)

I've already answered that question, please read all my responses in this thread. Laughing

David Jackson

---

• 5 posts
    September 22, 2011 3:27 PM EDT

Hi David,

Very informative post.  If forum links are not too valuable what are the best backlinking practices.

• 5 posts
    September 22, 2011 3:27 PM EDT

Hi David,

• 5 posts
    November 10, 2011 5:46 PM EST

Facebook can used in many ways such as Expanding Social Network, Advertising & Promotion, Earning from Facebook and many more usage of Facebook. Depends upon how you use.

---
    Credit Card Debt Consolidation Australia | Debt Consolidation Loans Australia

• 96 posts
    October 9, 2011 11:22 AM EDT

Nice article - was actually just discussing this topic with a friend! 

---
    IsraelExporter.com - Marketing and Lead Generation for Israel's Leading Export Companies PiTag Media - PiTag Media uses online tools to provide increased value for start ups and large companies. Connect with me on LinkedIN

• 4 posts
    November 11, 2011 3:08 AM EST

David.  I agree 100%.  NoFollow links are followed.  Supposedly they are anot part of the PageRank algo, but they still count for other things (relevancy,backlink profile, Bing!).  I even ran a test on this a couple years back.

Nobody should participate in a forum just for the sake of backlinks -0 you end up posting useless crap.  But if there are ten forums in your niche and 5 of them offer DoFollow backlinks, it doesn't take the sharpest tool in the shed to figure out where they'll find me *most* of the time.

---
    David Leonhardt
    SEO consultant | ghostwriter agency | Canadian news

• 1 posts
    May 23, 2012 3:52 PM EDT

Hi David,

I agree with you that nofollow links are certainly involved in helping with google rankings via trust, and even if they're not, as you say, they still provide opportunities for people to visit your blog.

I found you post because I was looking at google webmaster tools and noticed the amount of forum links I have coming in, which are considered nofollow links. I also recall  reading this article http://blog.majesticseo.com/development/flow-metrics/ which made me think of the trust factor of nofollow links.

I then went to view my top search queeries. Now my top search query is for yoobee newmarket. Would you say it's better to link to my site like this yoobee newmarket where the link goes to my home page, or directly to the page that shows up in the google search for people like this yoobee newmarket ?

I'm really looking forward to what you think about the two different ways to link, as I'd like to ensure that I get the most value out of any links I can manage to build.

Much appreciated,

John

ps. On a somewhat unreleated note, how much of an issue is having a link like this where there is a random string of code at the end?

http://www.mywebsite.com/thepagename/nhloputnzk32ycxo

• 7 posts
    September 23, 2011 9:24 AM EDT

Hi David, it's very interesting what you say about backlinks and the value of nofollow links, but I'm curious too about what you consider to be other valuable backlinking practices. What are your top ways of getting links?

Terry@digital signage solutions

• 5 posts
    November 20, 2011 10:41 PM EST

nofollow are only good to show some backlink variety but not to pass some ranking juice to your site. in other words they will not help you rank higher in google

---
    the game is over

• 1 posts
    November 20, 2011 6:47 PM EST

To increase your visibility in Google and to enhance your keyword ranking you must have intelligent link building strategy. When you build links to your site, your site gets indexed by the search engines faster and hence increases your chances of getting a good rank for the keywords.To get Do follow link you should contact to best backlink service provider http://gateway4.info/ and get quality backlinks.

---
    Wiki Maestro

• 2 posts
    May 10, 2014 10:25 PM EDT
    I have read SEO test articles that show that they do indeed make difference, you would probably have to build up quite a few of them or get ones from very authoritative domains that are extremely relevent for them to be very powerful though.
    • 97 posts
    May 23, 2014 7:42 AM EDT
    We have to remember that PageRank is not everything. People can find our website in different places too, and then even no-follow links can be very helpful.