Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Customer Service & Customer Experience

Dealing with shoplifters

• 355 posts
    January 1, 2010 7:14 AM EST

Do you own a brick and mortar building type store?  If you do, what type of shoplifting policies do you have in place?  If none, here are some suggestions to get you started.

Establish store policies for dealing with shoplifters before you need them. This should include a policy to allow the subject an opportunity to pay for the item.  Many shoplifters, once they have been caught, will pay for the item.  This saves you the time and expense of going to court.

You should also address how much force will be allowed to arrest a suspected shoplifter.  One store for example, had a solid shoplifting case.  But, they lost the million-dollar personal injury lawsuit.

Finally, make sure your employees know your store's polices.  A large chain of stores was successfully sued for example, because they failed to follow this simple advice.  One of the security managers had never read his company's policies on shoplifting.  Not only had he never read the store polices, he never read the state laws dealing with shoplifting or laws of arrest.  He subsequently made a bad arrest.   The case against the suspected shoplifter fell apart in court and the subject sued the store for false arrest.  Ironically, the security manager was responsible for training employees in the proper way to handle shoplifters.

For additional information on this topic, feel free to stop by www.spcfreelance.com

---
    The older we get, the more excuses we make for not chasing after our dreams. But truth is, goals are attainable at any age.

• 39 posts
    June 22, 2010 7:21 PM EDT

Have a shotty sitting next to the register..that's scare them. But honestly, what can you do? Most large brick and motor stores let people just walk out because you're life isn't worth getting shot over a couple bucks. Maybe hire a secret shopper/undercover security type person to stand watch in your store and let them deal with it...?

Or what about remote locks on the front doors!? You see the person running out *click* and they can't get out.

---
    Two Finger Rings, Double Finger Rings
    Micro Screws, Mini Screws, Small Screws | US Micro Screw
    Custom Screw Manufacturer | Custom-Fasteners.com

• 1 posts
    January 5, 2010 5:25 AM EST

I have a brick and mortar store. And yes, I do implement number one, to give shoplifters the chance to pay for the item.

Actually, I haven't had the chance confront a shoplifter but I'll keep the other tips on here in mind. I don't want to lose just because I caused injury to the shoplifter.

---
    cheap vent server | tennessee volunteers merchandise