Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Advice, Smarts and Warnings

Requesting Helpful Advice for Success!!

• 3 posts
    January 3, 2007 7:30 AM EST
    I am a senior at the University of South Florida. I will be
    graduating Summer of 07` Suma Cum Laude, with a degree in Economics. I
    have decided to live my life through owning my own businesses; I am
    certain of this. I do not yet have the networking or product required to
    do so, so I am consulting you guys for my next step. I have thought about
    continuing to go into the Harvard Business School in the Fall, but I
    would like some input on the best possible graduate school to get where
    I wish to be; perhaps graduate school in this manner is not
    appropriate. I appreciate any help
    you can provide. Thank you,
    SGT Steven Wilson
    US Army Combat Medic

---
    Name: Steven M. Wilson/Goal: Self-Employed/Motivation: Happiness/Lifeline: 813-401-2272

• 3 posts
    January 3, 2007 7:57 AM EST
    Thank you for the advice. I have recieved consistent advice to continue on to graduate school. Where to attend is my next step, though Harvard sounds very promising, aside from the immense cost.

---
    Name: Steven M. Wilson/Goal: Self-Employed/Motivation: Happiness/Lifeline: 813-401-2272

• 3 posts
    January 3, 2007 5:18 PM EST

I appreciate the candor. I realize the difficulty in my plans with little seasoned experience. My problem is deciding which field to concentrate my experience on. I do not enjoy Healthcare, despite being a Medic Veteran of the Army. The networking will be very important to my success. I am thinking an Investment firm to gain some ground and then go into school, but I worry about losing my potential to gain fellowships and such now with my strong grades, vs. getting a company to pay for it, me having to commit a few years to them, and then losing sight of my goals. I am young enough to sort it out as I go, but I want to make the right decisions at the right times.

---

• 154 posts
    January 3, 2007 7:47 AM EST
    Experience is just as important as education.  Have you considered getting a job and going back for an MBA while you work?  Often times the employer will pay for a good chunck of it.  Check out the top 10 Part-Time MBA schools and see if any are of particular interest to ya.  Just a thought.  You will meet many like minded people in MBA school.   

---
    Travis Tschepen
    Hibachi Bros. LLC

--My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.--