Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Marketing

Real Estate SEO - 8 Ways to improve your Marketing

• 6 posts
    May 3, 2014 10:41 PM EDT
    Hi all,

I have been providing some marketing and SEO Services to the real estate industry of late and thought there might be a few out there who would like some extra ideas for their online marketing.

So, below is a snippet of some of the things that I have learned along the way. You can read a fuller outline of the 8 tips at http://www.malleeblue.com/effective-marketing-and-seo-ideas-for-real-estate-agents/

1. UNDERTAKE DETAILED KEYWORD RESEARCH

Keyword competition in real estate is extremely high. Everyone is competing for a similar set of keyword combinations.

Phrases such as, “Homes for sale” and generic words like the name of the city or town make ranking on the first page in Google Search Engine Results notoriously difficult.

2. KEEP YOUR URL’S CLEAN

Once you have your keywords mapped out it’s time to start applying them. If you work in multiple locations, decide on your url structure before you build your site.

This is crucial. Your URL structure and its keywords will have an accumulative effect over time that either boosts your search position or creates Google-esque confusion.

3. MAINTAIN NATURAL LINK STRUCTURES

Make it easy for people to navigate your site. This may seem like a simply idea, but it takes time and thought. For me, it usually means a lead pencil and some scrap paper.

Put yourself in the shoes of an investor or potential buyer. Also understand that Google favours clear and natural internal link structures, menus and navigation. If you sell by region, have a regional menu.

4. DEVELOP SYSTEMATIC BACKLINK PROFILES

What is a Backlink Profile? It is the deliberate effort to create connections between one site and another as well as connections between pages on your site.

Your overall goal is to inform Google about which pages are the most important. You do that by creating link opportunities to that page – your “money page” more than your other pages.

In Real Estate, since your MLS change so often, you want a more permanent page – your Property or Region page to rank the best. That page will have a link to the evergreen MLS or IDX page or sub-domain.

5. WRITE CLIENT FRIENDLY CONTENT

Creating high quality, hyper-local content. After you have performed thorough keyword research and decided on some great keywords, develop content that targets those keywords.

Try to target each keyword on a single page. For example, if you are targeting both buyers and sellers, create one page for buyers, and another for sellers. This helps search engines better understand the focus of your content.

6. USE SIMPLE, HIGH QUALITY IMAGES

Real Estate depends heavily on images. Make your images:

High Quality
    Uniform in size
    Uniform in position
    Quick to load
    Complete with descriptions, alt tags, dimensions and titles.

7. MONITOR YOUR SITE SPEED

Google has made it pretty plain that it counts site speed in its ranking factors. You want your site to load in under 3 seconds.

After that, people begin to shut down and move on to another site. Real Estate websites rely on heavy resources.

8. LEVERAGE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA

Not all social media are created equal. In my experience Facebook is pretty much useless for most forms of communication in real estate. Twitter, Pinterest and Google plus are all good for business, as is Linkedin.
    This post was edited by davidtrounce at May 3, 2014 10:43 PM EDT
    • 83 posts
    May 6, 2014 7:27 AM EDT
    Have you thought about Pinterest or Instagram? They are ideal for images !
    • 83 posts
    May 6, 2014 7:28 AM EDT
    Sorry, I've seen Pinterest in your list just a minute ago.
    • 6 posts
    May 6, 2014 6:12 PM EDT
    No worries Aberit, thanks for dropping by.