Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Website Critique

Whats your first Impression?

• 2 posts
    May 2, 2014 7:58 AM EDT
    Hello all, my name is Steve, Designer for Cardinham | Killigrew. I create and designer soaps, lotions, shave creams, and shave balms in old-world euro- country chic style packaging.

I have had pretty good success. I am in about 10 retailers and do nice sales in gift shops, salons, spas and bed and breakfasts. My products are natural and specifically designed to exceed the finest brands. I even post my ingredients next to the best global brands.

My website is: http://www.cardinhamkilligrew.com - if anyone wants to offer advice, impressions, or feedback. Look forward to participating.

I specifically, would ask. When you open my pages and see the design, the fonts, the colors, the pictures, what is your impression? If you just happened across it would you be impressed and think it looks like great stuff, any suggestions? Anything that brings it down?

Thanks!
    • 20 posts
    May 6, 2014 12:50 PM EDT
    Hi Steve! Congratulations on your success with Cardinham | Killigrew!

I want you to know that reading your post above and browsing through your website, I’m on board. I like the idea of your products, the style you’re trying to convey, it’s interesting to me personally. I thought the packaging in the photos looked very cool.

In my professional opinion, I would advise you to pick a different font than Papyrus. It’s used for many, many products and I believe there are fonts that would better represent your brand, giving it the look and feel you’re going for.

I also recommend incorporating the fleur-de-lis as part of your logo. I like how you’ve used the “|” line between Cardinham and Killigrew, that looks professional. Plus the name sounds luxurious to me, good choice. If you’re interested in working with a graphic designer to build upon your logo or get some web graphics, I recommend http://www.48HoursLogo.com. I’m a community manager there, we connect designers with entrepreneurs and small business owners, I think it would be a great fit with you if you’re interested. You can check out their portfolio of work, see that it’s up to par, and the pricing is reasonably low for design services. Just something to consider.

To answer some of your questions more specifically, I like the warm tans and dark brown colors on the website, I think they would pop more on a black background as opposed to the dark grey you have now. If I came across your products in a store, I would be interested. The color of the paper and prints, plus how the prints overlap around the edges, look great. I hope this is helpful and encouraging, wish you the best in your life and business!

This post was edited by Rick48CM at May 7, 2014 1:41 PM EDT
    • 4 posts
    May 24, 2014 2:23 AM EDT
    Steve,

I congratulate you on your products, but for your website, it needs more work. On my first impression I didn't get the feeling of high end. Your product images seem high end, but your website doesn't show that. Your website looks like a scrapbook, not luxurious. I understand that your products are handcrafted and are premium quality. Your current website design devalues your product making your products look like a hobby. The photography looks good, but the images need to be all same size for consistency and either be bigger or have the option to zoom in. You're selling products and people will want to see up close. Show your products, not just packaging (Soap section doesn't show any soap).

I agree about the comment from the other review on the font use and you really need a sophisticated/professional logo. Here's an article for you on having a professional design your business logo http://www.designleap.net/blog/2009/08/let-a-professional-design-your-business-logo.html

If you have any questions about my comments, feel free to respond or visit my website and fill out the contact form.

All the best,

- Yiana
    www.DesignLeap.net
    • 69 posts
    May 26, 2014 8:38 AM EDT
    It's definitely too dark. The captions in left frame are hardly noticeable.
    • 4 posts
    June 30, 2014 5:27 AM EDT
    The color features are bit dark try to use combinations like blue with white text. You will have to show your text. Dark color would not work for you.Fro grabbing traffic you need to use user friendly colors. For example if you have to show some services like environmental engineering services http://www.universalengineering.net/environmental-engineering/ you can show it with blue, green as they represent environment.
    This post was edited by Annya at June 30, 2014 5:28 AM EDT