Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Marketing

What makes a good logo?

• 11 posts
    February 20, 2014 4:35 PM EST

Hi everyone! I just need some ideas/opinions on things to consider when creating a logo for a business, are there strategies in making one? Thanks!

• February 23, 2014 11:01 AM EST

Hi Fresno,

If you are a small business, just starting out, your logo will probably want to show what you do, since a logo is an abbreviation of the words you would use to describe your business, like a shortcut. Once a prospect sees your logo the first time & they understand what you do, what you stand for, etc, the next time they see your logo it's like a trigger to their memory that reminds them of what you are all about.

But a logo is not so important, when compared to the experience they have when first learning about your company. For example, if they learn about your company thru a webpage that has typos or bad looking graphics, photos etc,. they will associate a negative thought about your business. They  next time they see your logo, they will be reminded of those negative thoughts. Therefore, it is more important to understand the impression you are trying to create and make sure eveyrthing you do is reinforcing that goal, and not hurting it. Otherwise it doesn't matter how great your logo is, if it only helps reinforce a negative perception. i.e. If you are Target (the store) you have a great logo, the bullseye, (simple, easy to identify, recall, etc.), but due to the recent credit card theft scandal, that logo only helps recall that scandal.

So what business are you in? It appears you might be making websites that fit on mobile phones? What would you want people to think of when they see your logo?

• 11 posts
    February 24, 2014 1:56 PM EST

Hi, well the business logo would be for a good friend of mine, she'll be starting a small business in my hometown so she was asking me for some ideas, though I already gave her some but I thought it would still be better to ask other people so she can do it the right way and come up with the best. I agree that logo is like an abbreviation  to her business, so i suggested she keep it simple.  I get the idea of wht you're saying about the experience when they learn about the company, thank you, it was very well said... she's into bread business, and she'll be using the logo on her social media pages and business cards, her main concern was how can she make her logo different from others with the same type of business. Hope you can share more ideas. Thank you! :)

• February 24, 2014 3:02 PM EST

If she is jsuts tarting out, i don't think the logo is very improtant to her at all, at this early stage. i dobut people will decide to buy bread because she has a great logo. instead, if it is retail, they'll want to buy her bread after hearing from others of how great it is, etc.

what is she planning on doing to get exposure for her business? is she going to have a free taste party, wherer people can sample her bread? make sure she has a contest where she can collect email addresses to use in future advertisements. that is more powerful than worrying about a logo at this point.

and why isn't your friend on this website herself, lol? she should be on here asking for help! 

• 6 posts
    March 5, 2014 4:11 AM EST

For me, a good logo should be associated with the product or service that you offer. There should be a connection so people can remember your brand easily. Also, a good logo is plus if you put it along on your souvenir or promotional items like tote bags.

• 1 posts
    March 6, 2014 12:07 AM EST

This is a great question. 

I agree with the comments above that state that a logo needs to reflect who you are as a business (it needs to line up with your values and mission). I also take into consideration the target audience that you are reaching out to when designing a logo. If your target market is 20 year old, beer drinking guys then having a pink, feminine logo is not going to resonate well with them.

For your friend that is in the bread business - she definitely needs to differentiate herself and her logo can help with that but I doubt a customer will choose her over her competitors strictly because of the logo. With that said, if she wants to stand out from the competition then she needs to create a high quality, custom logo that represents who she (and her business) is while resonating with her target market. 

The user above mentioned the experience, which is also very important. Basically, everything needs to line up in order to build trust. You mentioned, your friend is using social media - well, if she comes across as a laid back, care-free person on Facebook but then the customers meet her and she is stiff and aggressive then this sends mixed signals to the customer and as a result, they will not trust the her, the business or the product. 

I know this is a little bit of a tangent but it also works with the brand - A business brand is everything from how you treat your customers, your employees, to the design of your business card and of course your logo. Again, all of these need to be in line with one another in order to build trust with your customer base. 

Perhaps, this isn't the most concise answer to your question and I would have loved to say that your friend needs to have a clean, flat, vector based logo with a unicorn on it but a logo is so personal that we would need to know more about the business and the owner to develop a high quality logo that fits her brand.

If you ever have any questions about branding or marketing, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Best of luck!

Nathan 

• 12 posts
    March 14, 2014 12:35 PM EDT

Brand identity is a crucial part of your business. Communicating the wrong visual message in your brand puts you at risk of confusing and losing potential clients.

Your business has a personality and vision that deserves to be represented properly. There are endless examples that show how good design looks and works better when it's telling a story, and your logo needs to do a great job of telling that story.

If I were you, I would leave logo design up to a professional- it's not as easy as it looks! If you're looking for a reasonable price, check out mosaicHUB's Marketplace. There's a deal on logo design right now: http://www.mosaichub.com/marketplace/view/design-brand-jumpstart-package

Hope this is helpful!

Kim 

• 5 posts
    March 29, 2014 12:38 PM EDT

I think you need expart logo designer . Which help you so much...

• 98 posts
    April 1, 2014 6:52 AM EDT

I would consider a logo in warm colours, which can be associated with security and home (something we can asocciate bread with). Obviously, not always. If the design of stores, the website and all other advertising materials are prepared in different colours, it should stick to it.

• 2 posts
    April 5, 2014 2:28 PM EDT

I like the idea of my logo telling people what I do. Maybe it could include your moto as well. Like this 

Jerry's Bakery

Smell the Fresh Bread

And bread sticking out at the end (or beginning).  

Every part of your business should help you sell more. 

This post was edited by TCIF at April 5, 2014 2:32 PM EDT
    • 7 posts
    April 7, 2014 7:42 PM EDT

I think a major element of any logo has to be the ability to size up or down without losing recognition. With our growing reliance on mobile, that overly complicated logo won't impress potential customers at a smaller size.

---
    Brian Mell Assistant Marketing Coordinator BannerView.com

• 20 posts
    April 15, 2014 11:15 AM EDT

Hello adi004!
    While there’s a lot of good advice here, I would like to add that you should consider the style of the logo. It’s been mentioned about what impression you want to make with your logo, and the style can address that right away for any potential customers.

If your friend wants an upscale look to their bakery, consider a very simple icon and san-serif font for the logo, limit it to two colors. If they’re wanting something more local and friendly, use a font that looks like handwriting and an abstract illustration of bread or a baker’s hat. A style that has been recently re-invented in logo design is Retro, it can give a sense of history or hipster-cred, depending on how you go with that.

That being said, the style of a logo will automatically do a lot of work creating an impression for potential customers. If you don’t have any designers to work with locally there are options for connecting with professionals online. I could talk about logos all day, but I hope something here was helpful! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.