Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Customer Service & Customer Experience

How to deal with the angry customers!

• 1 posts
    February 15, 2014 7:18 PM EST

I've been working in hospitality industry for a while, and as everyone knows the key is just to make the customers happy. 

There was one experience I had when I was working in a fine-dining restaurant. A customer asked for a box to pack her leftover and then she dropped the whole plate on the floor. So she asked the waiter that the restaurant should cook that dish for her since she had dropped the entire dish. However, the manager refused to do so because it was not the restaurant's fault. The manager ended up fighting with the angry customer for 15 mins and had to make that dish for her(a smaller portion).

Even though the customer got the food she needed, she was still very mad at the first reaction of the manager and said that she wouldn't come back again.

So I need your valuable opinions on this. What should the manager do to make the situation better? or should she give the food or resist giving what the customer wants?  

Please share your experience. Thank you.

Pim

• 3 posts
    April 16, 2014 2:45 PM EDT
    The customer dropped the dish? Politely refuse and ask her to leave. Sometimes people are just wrong.
    • 4 posts
    June 5, 2014 12:07 PM EDT
    Oooo this is a tough one. As the manager, I would clearly be angered by her requests for food that she dropped and her wanting my business to pay for it. As the customer I would be mortified if I were her and apologize for ruining the carpet or whatever. I will have realized it was my fault, felt bad for wasting the money. If I were the manager, I'd offer her something else, maybe a dessert to go? TO make whole meal for someone who dropped it on the floor and to do it in a smaller portion seems silly. I'd try to offer her an alternative that is more readily available.

It just makes the customer seem silly. But some people are like that. I think the customer can be wrong, but denying them right out can cause the business a big hit in reputation. That's a tricky situation though.
    • 1 posts
    June 5, 2014 2:15 PM EDT
    i would more than likely have replaced her full dish and put it in a to go box to avoid any further issues. i would think incidents like these would somehow be built into the budget.
    • 21 posts
    September 26, 2014 2:49 AM EDT
    You just need to be calm and let them express their feelings. Be professional and listen to everything they are saying. I know it is hard but through listening, you will be able to find the best solution to pacify them. Customer service is about understanding the customers from start to finish.