Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startups Created by the StartupNation Community

Freight Broker looking for advice

• 2 posts
    August 1, 2007 8:06 AM EDT

Hey all, new to the board. I read the last post on being a freight broker agent.

I just wanted to ask if any other agents could give me some advice on how to get contacts or leads for new costumers? I was doing pretty good moving Dynopacs for a company but they stopped sending me their loads when a friend of theirs opened up her own company, now they only send me what she can’t move. I would love to turn them down but I cannot afford to. I specialize in big loads that require flatbeds or stepdecks, so I have a niche to go on.

I understand this is a hard road to be successful at, I just think if I could get some good advice on where to look for some more leads and customers that I could be back on my feet in no time, I already had to refinance my home so the company wouldn’t go under.

So please anyone that could offer me just a little push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

David

http://www.freightsmartllc.com

---
    Thanks in advance
    David

• 2 posts
    August 1, 2007 10:56 AM EDT

I apoligize but I do not understand what you mean by NVOCC`s, from my research I gathered it stood for " non vessel common carrier". Please correct me if I am wrong. Again I appreciate your advice. and no I do not access to publications. Wish I did.

Also I do not think I could befriend another, to me that is a dirty way of doing business. I just can`t go behind someones back and basically steal their leads, try and take them from underneath them

FreightSmart2007-8-1 16:13:33

---
    Thanks in advance
    David

• 2 posts
    January 29, 2012 3:39 PM EST

there are lots of places to get leads. i dont sell them but i teach my students the best way to find them. i will not charge you. best of luck and let me know...NSMDC is a good place to start. look at their catalogs for ideas. i say find a shipper on thomas net...say 50mil plus then google the address then look around. try a list of comodities that rock...year round freight then seasonal. keep a wide range of folks from scrap to dry, reefer freight and OD ...get good at it all but pick your poison, get in good then if you can and your contract permits...go get their customers or consignees

lemme know brother, i can def help and show you how i rock over 10m a year

• 1 posts
    September 19, 2012 9:43 AM EDT

We happened upon a site called freight lead source or www.freightleadsource.com & have been getting leads for a while now. Mainly FTL & some LTL along with hazmat, oversized, heavy, refer. They're about the only company I know that actually focuses on generating freight leads that convert without costing an arm & a leg! Hopefully this helps someone out there ...

• 2 posts
    May 12, 2008 12:34 PM EDT
    I deal in sales leads for freight. If you`d like more info feel free to check out my profile and shoot me an email.

---
    Jason Orent
    phone:319-210-8217
    email:jasonorent1528@inabc.net

• 1 posts
    February 19, 2008 3:59 AM EST
    There is a disk available full of Broker Leads.  Over 1,500 companies from across the US that are using trucks to haul their freight.

http://www.freightbrokersbuddy.com
    • 376 posts
    August 1, 2007 10:01 AM EDT
    In another life I worked for an NVO and I found great leads through publications.  Living in a port city it was easy to get my hands on the list of the top importers through the Port.  Do you have access to any of these publications?  You could also befriend some local NVOCC`s.  Back in the day we specialized in containers so anytime we got a request for break bulk, we would pass it along.  These days I think everyone does a little bit of everything so that strategy might not work anymore, but it might be worth a shot.

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Charmed Life Products LLC
    Grill Charms™… The MUST HAVE grilling accessory that is revolutionizing the American Cook-out AND The perfect gift for any occasion!
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    August 1, 2007 11:10 AM EDT
    No prob!! Yep, that`s right, NVO is just short for NVOCC  yes "non vessel operating common carrier".  So much has changed in the 5 short years that I have been out of the industry... maybe they are all called 3PL`s???  To give you an example, the wonderful company I worked for was / is CaroTrans International.  They are an NVO.   There are tons of companies like CaroTrans and including CaroTrans that (at the time) didn`t really mess w/ break bulk too much, so we would outsource those quote requests to friendly neighborhood forwarders that specialized in that market.  You could be one of those.   Check out www.carotrans.com for more info on NVO`s and on the company.   Post again if I`ve confused you even more!!!  Sorry!!!

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Charmed Life Products LLC
    Grill Charms™… The MUST HAVE grilling accessory that is revolutionizing the American Cook-out AND The perfect gift for any occasion!
    Grill Charms

• 1 posts
    October 22, 2013 7:27 PM EDT
    I've had luck with freight-leads.com. Been using their products for a while now and am happy with the results so far.

Hope this helps!

FreightSmart said:

Hey all, new to the board. I read the last post on being a freight broker agent.

I just wanted to ask if any other agents could give me some advice on how to get contacts or leads for new costumers? I was doing pretty good moving Dynopacs for a company but they stopped sending me their loads when a friend of theirs opened up her own company, now they only send me what she can’t move. I would love to turn them down but I cannot afford to. I specialize in big loads that require flatbeds or stepdecks, so I have a niche to go on.

I understand this is a hard road to be successful at, I just think if I could get some good advice on where to look for some more leads and customers that I could be back on my feet in no time, I already had to refinance my home so the company wouldn’t go under.

So please anyone that could offer me just a little push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

David

• 15 posts
    January 31, 2014 12:03 PM EST

Check out our website for one on one coaching and weekly webinars at https://jenniferbarbeeinc.leadpages.net/webinar-jan-2014-small-business/   -   You can follow Jenn on LinkedIn under Jennifer Barbee CEO of Jennifer Barbee Inc. And also at this time we are giving away a pair of Bose - Noise Cancelling Headphones. To enter all you have to do is go to www.shesfunded.com and enter your information! We do not spam (that is illegal) and would love to help you! Contact Jenn today!