Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Building a Website that Works

On-Line Backup Solutions

• 16 posts
    July 31, 2006 5:07 PM EDT

Greetings everyone in Startup Nation,

I have seen some websites that provide a back-up service for a fee. I have an idea that would combine two services. My idea would incorporate a backup storage and provide a page in which the user can create a personal webpage. The user could store music, pictures, or use it as a back-up.  My revenue would come from charging a small fee for the service and include an pay for ad model in which advertiser can pay for ads that generate traffic.

Can I get some feedback on what anyone thinks about it and if is even doable and profitable?

Thanks, George

---
    George Sanchez
    Boomerang Max
    boomerangmax@gmail.com
    Houston, Tx

• 16 posts
    August 1, 2006 2:07 PM EDT

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the feedback. I beleive you have a point on bandwidth. Although I didn`t think it was going to be that big of an issue. I was thinking maybe a T-1 line for starters. I do want to expand to offering service to the commenrcial sector. Although that probably won`t be until later.

My next step is going to be to create a business plan to make sure I highlight what it is I want to do with this project. I have to do some cost and revenue projections as well, so I will need to get a hold of an IT person that knows the ins of the industry.

Thanks again!

---
    George Sanchez
    Boomerang Max
    boomerangmax@gmail.com
    Houston, Tx

• 16 posts
    August 2, 2006 3:16 PM EDT

Thanks for the tip there Zepp. I will have a look at it. Now all I need is someone to consult with on how to set up my back-up infrastructure. Does anyone know about building a server network base location for my business.

Thanks!

---
    George Sanchez
    Boomerang Max
    boomerangmax@gmail.com
    Houston, Tx

• 16 posts
    August 4, 2006 3:19 PM EDT

I appreciate the tip there dmarques. I have seen that website before, but I can`t get what I am looking for just by browsing the site. I am looking for some who knows about data centers and how that works for hosting a website like mine that would offer a backup solution for businesses and the private individual.

Thanks!

---
    George Sanchez
    Boomerang Max
    boomerangmax@gmail.com
    Houston, Tx

• 36 posts
    August 1, 2006 6:33 AM EDT

George,

It doesn`t sound like a bad idea.  If you look at these companies it`s the bandwidth cost that`s expensive. Perhaps you *think* of a way to combine this with all the extra cable-modem bandwidth that`s floating around in cyberspace.

If you can get around the bandwidth constraint I think you`re on to something.

---
    Bryan C. Fleming

http://www.BryanCFleming.com

• 15 posts
    August 2, 2006 6:42 AM EDT
    I believe Apple has been providing something quite similar with its
    ".mac" service.

http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

Might be worth a look for ideas.

Good luck with it!

---
    -Zepp

Creative solutions for digital communication; providing web site design and marketing for small businesses.