September 5, 2014 4:17 PM EDT
I answered this in Quora recently so I am going to cut and paste my answer here.
Assuming you have time here are 19 things you can do:
1. Setup a regular writing schedule. The point is not quantity but quality. Your schedule needs to become a habit so have consistent days of writing
2. Provide valuable information for free. It can be a PDF file, slides or a video. Ask yourself “If I were just starting out in this topic, what would I want to know more about or see?
3. Setup social media profiles and make them look lived in. Use a social media auto posting tool. Hootsuite is a good start
4. Create an account on Quora and fill our your profile with your credentials. Join topics related to your niche. Answer questions. Quora can be a treasure trove of post ideas to help you determined what your audience is asking about. More specifically it helps you position yourself to solve their actual problems, rather than what you think their problems are (my new favorite :)
5. Take some time to interlink your existing posts using SEO Smart Link and your best keyword. Add Related Posts plugin
6. Make a list of key influencers both large and small in your niche. Include the URLs of their blogs and contact info/email. You can also get tons of idea for blog posts by searching what is hot and in demand right now using AllTop
7. Inquire about guest blogging from a selection of blogs and sites you have noted on step 6. Suggest a topic you feel they have not covered. Craft a byline that includes a link to your own site plus the freebie that subscribers to your e-newsletter will get. If your guest post is successful share it on social networks and respond to comments to encourage future posts
8. Using IFTTT, use the blog posts to SMS notification to be informed of when new posts are added. Create intelligent, well thought out comments. You are doing this to get your name out there, and encourage people to visit your site after reading the comment.
9. Make a list of 2-3 forums with active, engaged communities and join them. Use a real name and photo when possible. Ask questions and give well thought out answers. Establish relationships and network with fellow individuals.
10. Take the time to develop exclusive offers and content for each audience rather than parroting your blog posts (if relevant)
11. Sign up for FB ads and start creating your first ad. Choose the appropriate ad type. (I know you said free, but this can be very cheap, like $5/day)
12. Create a LinkedIn profile page and your company page. Make sure you post updates to it regularly
13. Connect in your industry through G+ and promote a webinar style Q & A, interview or behind the scenes. The hangout can be posted on YouTube or embedded on your own site for extra traffic.
14. Start sharing on Pinterest. Don’t pin every product on every page. Highlight the ones that you feel are the most important, entertaining or informative. Stay relevant and update your board often. Focus on quality pins over quantity. (This works better if you have a female heavy audience) Share things like behind the scenes look, teasers, inspiration quotes
15. Create an infographic. If you can't do this yourself then...I guess it's not free
16. Consider content curating, not just to promote yourself but ot share the knowledge out there and give others a boost. This can lead to guest posts, ad sponsorships and many other ideas. (Multiple companies do this, Huffington Post, Upvote, Buzzworthy are all curators)
17. Run an instagram contest
18. Add other types of media, for example Slideshare.net
19. Create your own case study
Hope that helps :)
This post was edited by wiredniko at September 5, 2014 4:20 PM EDT