Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » People: Hiring, Partnering, Mentoring

Starting a Startup: hire developers or a 3rd party company?

• 2 posts
    October 30, 2013 1:05 PM EDT

Hi,

I'm about to start a startup. It's still an idea, but I have an investor for the beginning.
    What I'm really concerned about, is that, should I hire a company to code the system or should I start my own company and hire developers myself?

I have the experience to work in a company which was a failed startup, and tried to do the second option. So I am aware of all troubles and headaches of starting a company and hiring developers/designers to make the idea real.

I need some professional comments on this matter.

Thanks

• 62 posts
    October 30, 2013 4:55 PM EDT

Anything you can do yourself and save money you need to do.  Other wise rule of thumb is if you are free of that task, is the added value worth your time and money.  

Ofcource all this does not matter if your idea cant be made real.  But at what cost.

Document Search |Search for files

• 2 posts
    October 31, 2013 6:00 AM EDT

According to my estimation, it would be more cost efficient if I hire a company to code for me.

But my concern is if this would affect the quality or other aspects of the startup.

• 62 posts
    October 31, 2013 5:04 PM EDT

You will def lose some sense of control and quality however you also are going to be able to focus on other areas and be able to manage.  Its a tradeoff.  

Best of luck!!

Document Search |Search for files

• 2 posts
    December 13, 2013 2:46 PM EST

We hired out the development of our new site www.vbench.com and are wildly pleased with the result (no healthcare.gov issues here).  The company we hired was incredibly collaborative and we now have them on retainer to provide on-going support and interative development.  Costs us a faction on having a full time dev team and didn't have to give up any equity.  I'm sure we'll bring this in house someday, but our current arrangement makes bootstrapping possible.

• 5 posts
    December 17, 2013 7:12 AM EST

Hello Colin,

I guess you should start with hiring a 3rd party company or a professional developers as freelancer (not someone who is new to freelancing). This is the stage where you need to concentrate on other important things like marketing and networking and not waste energies and resources on issues such as Project managment etc.

I have posted an article about where you can get such resources here:

http://www.startupnation.com/community/forums/topic/15013/top-5-effective-sites-to-outsour

Hope this helps.

Best of luck for your new venture.